WnSoft Forums

Version Mismatch when using Menu Buttons

bwat

There appears (to me anyway) a major flaw in PTE when using menu buttons to lauch my slideshows. Every new version (4.48, 5.6. 6.0 and now 6.5) does not allow a show created in an earlier version to be launched using the 'run slideshow' command but gives a message 'version mismatch - use run application instead'. When upgrading to v6.0 I had to re-create some 80 shows to allow menus to work, a very time consuming task. The 'run slideshow' was introduced to eliminate 'desktop' flash back when lauching a show whilst 'run application' causes the desktop to appear before the show runs. To have to revert to this to use v6.5 I find unacceptable and it is not practical to re-create every show previously produced whenever PTE ungrades are issued.

Surely it is not beyond reason to expect any new PTE upgrade to operate retropective shows from previous versions of the program as it the case with most software.

PTE is a first class program but this inherent flaw in its design means I shall have to stick with using v6.0.

Regards

bwat

Guest Yachtsman1

Would it not be acceptable to you the next time you downlad a new version to allow that version to take control of your existing shows? I know what I mean, but I may not have conveyed what I'm trying to say fully :unsure: . Maybe one of the moderators will explain it better.

Yachtsman1

bwat,

The reason that Igor and his team found for the desktop flashbacks when using menu sequences was that only one piece of software could have total contol of the graphics card. With the Run application approach there was a conflict between PTE and Windows Aero interface for this total control. This conflict gave rise to the flashbacks. The Run Slideshow feature of PTE uses a single instance of PTE run-time code to drive all the sequences. This instance of PTE, once it has total control over the graphics card, never releases it until the user ends the menu sequence.

In order to ensure the proper operation of all the sequences, Igor and his team felt it was necessary to have all the sequences use the exact self-same version of PTE.

Perhaps, as they develop the Mac version (using Open Systems code maybe) they may learn something new taht will give us greater flexibility in the Windows environment. Until then, I'm afraid we just have to live with it if we want to use the Run Slideshow feature.

regards,

Peter

bwat,

but this inherent flaw in its design

I see this as more of a logical issue rather than a inherent flaw. The Run Slideshow feature effectively eliminates the taskbar flash by utilizing the same slideshow engine/components/resources for playback instead of launching another/new engine instance which promotes taskbar flash. However, the Run Slideshow feature does require the same version build due to PTE slideshow engine components vary version build to version build and therefore may not properly play a different version build which has its own unique set of specific engine requirements.

I imagine Igor may/maynot be able to improve on this feature. ... something in the way of an adaptive slideshow engine that may play some older version builds might be possible. Again, this may create other logical issues and/or also dramatically increase the slideshow engine/components executable output size. Igor can best answer this.

--------------

Your issue is most likely a taskbar flash and not a desktop flashback when using Run Application command ... but this is going to be relative to how you launch your other slideshows.

One Remedy to effectively eliminate taskbar flash

- Using right-click on the Windows Start button | Properties | Taskbar tab ... Disable the checkbox Keep the Taskbar ontop of other Windows (different OS may have comparable settings). It may not suit your preferred usage/display needs in other desk operations ... but it does effectively elimiinate the taskbar flash during slideshow playback in my menu tests. See Attachment.

post-45-060960900 1282480180_thumb.jpg

bwat,

In order to ensure the proper operation of all the sequences, Igor and his team felt it was necessary to have all the sequences use the exact self-same version of PTE.

regards,

Peter

I would like to suggest that the version matching requirement would have much less impact on users like bwat if we had a facility of updating all our slideshows (creating updated exes from pte files) in a single operation. For example, a command-line PTE that could be used in a batch file to do any number of creates. ... or a batch facility invokable from the Create menu.

I would certainly use such a feature, no matter how it might be offered.

Ken T (APLman)

WHY EVEN MAKE AN EXE ?

it duplicates space on the harddrive -- it only takes a minute to make when you need it -- one does not need a whole wad of duplicate material

and

how hard is it to open an old pte with the latest version and save it with a new name indicating the latest version that it was saved with ?????

ken

I use menus extensively but build them only as and when I need them. Each new menu is built from a previous example and takes no more than 10 minutes to customize. It then takes only a few seconds to do the Create of each target sequence. An evening's entertainment of upto one hour never needs more than 9 or 10 sequences. Total preparation time is usually under 15 minutes. To give an idea of the scale of my need for menus: between 1st September 2010 and 31st March 2011 I currently have twelve bookings to show my work to local organisations. So that will be twelve customized menus and a maximum of 120 other sequence creates. In reality that number will be much lower. PTE will go through a period of version stability at least once during the winter. Therefore, whilst it is in that stable state, I can re-use previously created exe files. I cannot see the point in regenerating all sequences as each new version of PTE is released.

regards,

Peter

I believe Ken T (APLman) is on the right track to this resolution ... but actually Igor suggested such a resolve way back in v5.6 development of the Run Slideshow feature. I suspect this special tool release has been side tracked by implementing the demands and development of other new PTE features.

I did finally find the post which contains the reply :

PicturesToExe Deluxe 5.6.1 Beta March 12, 2009

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9512&view=findpost&p=62520

See the comment:

"I promissed add special tool which will help quickly re-build all linked EXE slideshows. Probably it will become good solution?"

Thanks to you all for your comments.

I think most showings of my PTE shows are different to most. Largely my Grandchildren (aged 4, 8 and 10 years)think it a treat to be allowed to have the projector set up in their 'home cinema' and select which shows they want to watch themselves. I set things up to start with a main menu and leave them to select 5 themed sub menus which give access to all my shows, they operating the shows through the remote wireless mouse. They get many hours of enjoyment from this particularly because they can watch any show they chose rather than an adult operating the system.

Hence my need to have all shows accessible rather than producing an individual menu for a particular 'public' event such as at my camera club. To the have facility in PTE to operate shows from any version through a common menu without having to rebuild after every upgrade would be a real bonus and hope this can be available in the future.

One point in the various comments reffered to PTE taking control of the graphics card. My operating system is Windows 7 which uses, I believe, a combination of the dedicated graphics memory and allocates additional virtual graphics memory when needed. My graphics card is 512k but total graphics capability of my computer is in excess to 1.5GB. Does PTE also take control of this or is it restricted to only operating with the lower 512k memory limit.

Regards

bwat

bwat,

To the have facility in PTE to operate shows from any version through a common menu without having to rebuild after every upgrade would be a real bonus and hope this can be available in the future

In the meantime while waiting for this feature or special rebuild tool release ... you might find my PlayView utility tool useful. PlayView is a ready-made menu utility tool in which to launch your PicturesToExe Slide Shows from a list of menu items. It may do just the trick to help and forget all those menu rebuilds and satisfy the kids also. :P

Read :

PlayView - Slide Show List Menu Utility for PicturesToExe Users

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11229

Does PTE also take control of this or is it restricted to only operating with the lower 512k memory limit.

Basically ... the allocation of memory and resources is controlled by the OS. PTE can only use what the OS decides to allocate or share for graphical demands.

Having struggled to use my usual introductory screen with buttons in the latest version, I had given up trying to get "run application" to work.

However saved by the excellent utility PLAYVIEW from Nobeefstu !

Absolutely excellent solution with even the ability to use your own logo etc at intro.

Many thanks indeed to Nobeefstu and his other mates who produced this little gem.

Once again proving the tremendous value of the forum

Thanks and regards to all,

Alan in NE England

• 2 weeks later...

Peter,

Since your question, I went back to try the buttons system on an introductory screen.

It now works as before ! It may well be that as I have been upgrading all my projects using the latest version the system works. Before, I was having difficulty getting the "run application or open file " to call up the exe file and run the sequence.

As i got fed up trying, I used Playview from Nobeefstu and found it very good.

It now seems that I can revert to my intro screen system if I wish.

However it rather seems that in reading the thread, that all the projects have to be updated into any new version for the button system to work ?

Thanks and best regards,

Alan in NE UK

I am not sure how popular my views may be, but as much as I think PTE is great at what it does, I long since moved away from the buttons and menu making side of the software because there are other programs that....gulp :( do it a lot better. There I have said the un thinkable and expect the wrath of the faithful :rolleyes:

Ducks for cover

I suppose one of the dangers of any software is that while trying to meet everyones needs it becomes a "Jack of all Trades but Master of None" That is an English saying that I hope most will understand. Now I don't think PTE is guilty of this, apart from the menu system. You either have slide show software or a multi media builder software perhaps.

I have found that the multimedia builder software packages are much better at presenting multiple slide shows, videos, links to the web and more.

Alan

I have found a couple of sequences that had not been upgraded to new version and recreated as overwritten exe's, and they will not work using the buttons system

Since you say this issue relates to a couple of sequences ... it may be possible its just a simple error in your entered run command file string. Please post a sample of your file string.

Example:

Command: Run Slideshow (or Run Application)

FileString: "My slideshow.exe" ( or full path with FileName, with or with out quotes)

Note:

Have you also checked to see if the issue sequences are possibly running under (NotOnTop) the current playing slideshow ?

Test by using keyboard SHIFT + ALT + TAB key combination to bring other running tasks to view (OnTop)

* Thank you for the little gem comments. :D

I have plans to make some additions ... even play MP4 video if the OS supports it.

Barry,

There I have said the un thinkable and expect the wrath of the faithful

You are not alone ... I agree. B)

I always believe in using the right tools for the right job. Usually it takes many tools to achieve the best results. I dont know of any All-In-One tools that really do it all.

I originally used PTE to create menus for my tutorial disks, but always had the issues of format and resolution on the computer the exe file was played on. The menus would vary and be seen differently by different resolutions, which was OK when everyone was using either 1024*768 or 1280*1024. Then when PTE changed to another version (5 I think), the buttons changed too and that gave me additional problems I could not overcome.

I turned to a program called Multi Media Builder (MMB) and I did create a video tutoral on how to use the program to make user activated CD's and DVD's, but looking back I can see it was some time ago now, but that hasn't changed anything and the software works fine and the tutorial is still valid

http://www.beckhamdi...1&idproduct=772

You will find this software available here http://mmb.mediachance.com/index.html The trouble is that MMB has reached the end of its life and is no longer being kept up to date. However, at this address you can still download the last version created. I used this for some years on Windows XP, later Windows Vista, but found it does not work with my latest PC. I am unable to tell if that is a Windows 7 issue or the fact this PC is 64 bit.

There are alternatives and one I found is called AutoRun Pro Enterprise II

These programs just need a little time to get your head around, but if you have the need to author CD's DVD's or even downloads as I do then they are pretty neat. They will fire up anything you want from a PTE show, video, exe file of any type, web pages, etc etc