WnSoft Forums

The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo

trailertrash

Ken

I would love to have a face to face discussion with you, so I could call you a fruit cake and you would know I said it with a big grin. :P

An Audio Visual is not an art gallery ( it could be) but in its truest form it captures a mood and can generate an emotion in the viewer. The very LAST thing that should happen to that show is for the viewer to stop and start it and destroy the flow of the Audio Visual.

In a book style show it can be either way, authors choice.

Yes, of course in the past I suggested people temporarily changed their resolutions to view a slide show, but not just mine. It is absolute nonsense to create images at one resolution and have them played back at another that destroys the quality. So, far you have dispensed with the A in AV and back then some of you were dispensing with the V too. Absolutely crazy. I even had one member pushing pins in a dummy of me when I stupidly suggested that resolution and format of an AV is important.

Fortunately we don't have to adjust resolution any more because the PTE program has moved on, but I am really surprised that you of all people are unaware of of the need to do that at the time. I wasn't asking people to cut off a finger, or poke their eye out with a sharp stick, just temporarily change the resolution so they saw the slide show as the author intended. How daft of me to want to see a good quality image when I could watch it broken up with artifacts.

I didn't criticise Ron's book show at all, where did you get that from?

Perhaps you are confused and mean Trailertrash, but I didn't criticise that either. I suggested a change of the settings because you you either have a manual show or an automatic one. If you leave the settings so it is neither one or the other the result is exactly what happened. The viewer changes the slides manually before the author intended (why would he have made it automatic) and the sound is then out of synch.

Part of me hopes that your just poking fun at me and I have stupidly risen and taken your bait, but something tells me that isn't the case.

Xaver

If your right, I think I will give up AV and take up knitting, I am already halfway there having thrown away the A already.

I have just posted my latest V here and the good news is they can be knocked out at 4-5 shows a day :rolleyes:

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/newv.zip

Barry, you must not have read all my threads, i have been outputting shows via svhs feed to crt tv's since ver 3.6 -- James "Slugman" O'Rear also done it and we both made vhs videos - him for sale me for family and friends enjoyment.

And i do look for "broken up with artifacts." I learned very early that saving jpeg's at 50% quality was a no no -- blocky picts are not pleasing to the eye, but in some cases,

"somethin is better than nuthin" :blink:

Now, if the show interests me i put it out to a ws panasonic via svhs feed so i can really enjoy them - not the same as a projector but I'm easy

some of the shows that are posted make me very jealous that i didn't take the picture :angry:

but happy for the feeling of satisfaction the photographer must feel when they know they got another "a keeper"

ken

I too appreciate very much "Tatoo" .

But I must say that I saw it manualy the first time ... :angry:

Now , I know why : the first vew seemed me to be too long and I used the key board ..

Solution : turn off this possibility .

I was surprised to ear a music without synchronisation ; I use often a manualy book presentation to show families photos , but without music ; each one takes more time where he wants .

As Ken , I love to have the posibility to observe a picture ; the two posibilities are in PTE .

Il is not a problem for me to first see the AV as the author has constructed it , and after , if I want to see any particular pictures , to look for it manualy ...

After , I love more this av .

It is only my sentiment ...

One more time , il is a good show !:rolleyes:

Isnt it just amazing and interesting how every show, throws up a new subject for discussion. I learn something new from every step I take here.

I constructed Tattoo to run at 13 seconds per slide with a 3 second 'page turn' time giving the viewer 10 seconds on each double page which [i thought] gave 5 seconds for each page. That was my thought process. I didnt really want manual control but forgot to turn it off. oops.Why not, well when I created the RSDG book, using the manual controls the music got way out of place and I dont have the knowledge yet to prevent that. Thats something I must get into. However those books have been a massive tutorial in learning other aspects of the programme, so in that respect they were worth doing.

However, I still say this forum needs a work in progress or Beta section for posting part or short shows for just such information.

Thank you all for the kind encouragement and I'm very glad you enjoyed Tattoo. [im off to France for a week tomorrow so hopefully when I get back....]

Andrew

I THINK THE POINT we are missing -- this forum is not the "grand National" it is a forum to show your work to your peers - i would not class a show as a "final edition"

If you are going to enter it in the "NATIONALS" turn off the manual controls, but in this forum leave them on and let the members view it as they like -- i would rather not use the "ESC KEY"

:unsure:

KEN

Fair comment Ken, and maybe a case for putting up cut down versions of the final article, or even the project files.

However, when would you consider a show finished? I know Lin and Barry and Peter and Dom to mention a few know exactly when a show is ready but I dont have that experience yet. I keep coming back and back till I'm getting fed up.

Andrew

Xaver, If your right, I think I will give up AV and take up knitting, I am already halfway there having thrown away the A already.

Barry,

This does not sound logical in my ears. If (many?) people go to some places, make pictures, open the camera and throw these images into PTE, add some music, and finally think that they have produced AV: Isn't that fine? They feel happy, and if someone comes up and says "Great, love it", they will even feel better. But this should not have a consequence on others for whom AV means a bigger investment - chacun à son goût!

Happy knitting :lol:

Xaver

This does not sound logical in my ears. If (many?) people go to some places, make pictures, open the camera and throw these images into PTE, add some music, and finally think that they have produced AV: Isn't that fine?

Yes of course it is fine and am not saying anything about that at all and you have misunderstood me, perhaps something is being lost in translation.

What got me reaching for the keyboard was the suggestion from an Audio Visual forum that music and transitions can be left out because they are not important. Sorry, I have no wish to offend, but that is a crackpot suggestion. If that is the case why are we all using PicturesToExe. We certainly don't need PTE to show a few pictures especially if we don't need music and we don't need transitions. If members of this forum are quite HAPPY to just look at pictures you may as well go to any old web gallery or any browser will do.

What about trying to raise the bar just a little and produce an Audio Visual that is not just a few pictures thrown together. Surely we have the potential to create at least one show like that. A show that does need to be seen in it's entirety and not stopped every few seconds by the viewer.

Audio Visual is a way to present images and the charm of this technique is the smooth flow of image to image, enhanced with music and/or sound. The transitions and speed of the AV is vital to it's success along with the right choice of images that follow each other perfectly. To take an authors work like this and want to first discard the music and then play it one image at a time.

Well, words fail me