WnSoft Forums

Sound comments

Now that we have sound editing in PTE I am using sound comments a lot more. (adding commentary to an individual slide) However, when you do this on the fly using the time line you cannot hear the sound comment as you add the slide. After clicking to add a new transition you have to stop the time line, move the pointer back before the image you have just placed and then start it again to be able to hear the commentary. It is time consuming and a little frustrating if you have a lot of images to place comments on.

Is it possible to have the commentary start as we hit the new transition button so we can hear it as we create the slide show. It would be very helpful and speed up the process.

Is there any plans to add the recording of commentary when a mike is attached. That seems a logical next step to me.

I also find it hit and miss to end a show that has used 2 or more pieces of music. To do that easy you need to know where to trim the last track, but with more than one track and crossfades it isn't always that easy. The time line may say the slide show needs to end at 5 minutes 30 seconds, but trinmming the last track to achieve that is not so straight forward. I would like to see this made a bit easier if possible too.

Now that we have sound editing in PTE I am using sound comments a lot more. (adding commentary to an individual slide) However, when you do this on the fly using the time line you cannot hear the sound comment as you add the slide. After clicking to add a new transition you have to stop the time line, move the pointer back before the image you have just placed and then start it again to be able to hear the commentary. It is time consuming and a little frustrating if you have a lot of images to place comments on.

Is it possible to have the commentary start as we hit the new transition button so we can hear it as we create the slide show. It would be very helpful and speed up the process...

====================

I was playing around with this question and it seems that the problem is that when you click on a slide, the vertical blue arrow returns to the end of the transition period, not to the actual beginning of the transition period. I added a Sound Comment to a slide, then dragged the vertical blue arrow back to the beginning of the transition (or start of the slide) and the Sound Comment played. So perhaps, if I understand the question, PTE should have the vertical blue arrow re-positioned at the beginning of the transition when you click on a slide or add a new transition to have the Sound Comment play as you want it to.

I noticed this behavior when I click on slide #1 in the Timeline and want to play it from the start. It actually starts at the end of the transition period. So I have to go up to the mini-player and then drag the (what do you call it?) 'little blue knob' to the left to reposition it to the actual start of the show. Is there a reason for the vertical blue arrow to be positioned at the end of the transition period as opposed to the beginning of the slide???

Gary

The problem with having the blue arrow positioned at the start of the slides transition is that, at that point, the slide is not visible. So the thumbnail and the miniplayer would both show the previous slide. I suspect that this could be very confusing for new users. I'm not sure that there is an easy answer to this.

regards,

Peter

The problem with having the blue arrow positioned at the start of the slides transition is that, at that point, the slide is not visible. So the thumbnail and the miniplayer would both show the previous slide. I suspect that this could be very confusing for new users. I'm not sure that there is an easy answer to this.

regards,

Peter

================

Peter,

Yes, I see what you mean. You can now go to the actual start of the transition for a particular slide, but, as you said, it actually would show the previous slide. And this entails being very precise on where you click on the Timeline. Suggestion: Maybe a little round circle can be placed at the bottom of the dashed vertical blue line, just below the wave form, where one can click on and go to the precise beginning of that slide. This would give the user the ability to move the cursor quickly and easily to play from that precise location. You can then get to the start of the transition of a slide with only one precise click instead of two clicks (and the second click might not be too exact).

Gary

Perhaps its me, but I don't have a clue what your talking about

All I want when I click the New Transition is for the image to start to appear and any sound comment is played

===================

Ok... Here's is how I see the problem. Maybe it is not what you are talking about but this is the way I have interpreted it.

You are in the Timeline. You click on a slide. You add the sound comment. You want to hear it from that point but the start point of the playback is at the solid vertical blue line (the end of the transition), not at the dashed vertical blue line (where the sound comment should start). So my point was to put a little round icon at the bottom of the dashed vertical blue line that will allow you to just click on that icon to start the playback of your sound comment without you having to reposition the cursor manually.

If I am in playback and I hit New Transition, the sound comment stays with its slide and plays with that slide.

Maybe you are talking about something else. So please let me know how exactly are you want this function to work.

Gary

I am putting together a batch of camera club competition images and wish to put a recorded comment with every image.

I have no problem applying the commentary for each slide in the normal way and I have no reason to want to hear it at that point.

Once all the sound comments have been added along with intro titles and blanks I want to start the mini player and add each slide while listening to the sound comment. Untill the sound comment of slide 1 ends I cannot know where to add the next, but while working on the fly in the time line you cannot do this.

When you hit New Transition, the slide will appear, but the sound will not play until you stop, back up and play the slide again.

Working on the fly is the best way to work in my view as you see and hear what your doing, but not with sound comments and this makes a simple job tedious.

I am putting together a batch of camera club competition images and wish to put a recorded comment with every image.

I have no problem applying the commentary for each slide in the normal way and I have no reason to want to hear it at that point.

Once all the sound comments have been added along with intro titles and blanks I want to start the mini player and add each slide while listening to the sound comment. Untill the sound comment of slide 1 ends I cannot know where to add the next, but while working on the fly in the time line you cannot do this.

When you hit New Transition, the slide will appear, but the sound will not play until you stop, back up and play the slide again.

Working on the fly is the best way to work in my view as you see and hear what your doing, but not with sound comments and this makes a simple job tedious.

==================================

bbdigital,

Thanks for the explanation. I see what you are doing. I didn't understand fully that you were doing this 'on the fly'.

My suggestion was to solve a similar problem when you were doing the New Transition not 'on the fly'. When this is done this way, you hear only the remaining portion of the Sound Comment after the end of the transition period, so you miss the first 1500ms (if that is the transition length) unless you manually reset the vertical blue line back to the beginning position of the slide.

It would be nice if your problem can be fixed to work as you have suggested. I'd like my suggestion to be implemented, too, if possible.

Gary