WnSoft Forums

Making Demos

One issue with the sound editing within PTE is that the whole sound file is stored in the exe file no matter how little you have used of it. Well, at least I think that is happening. I made a demo using two tracks of 8 and 9 minutes plus a sound effect and was suprised that the demo size was 17MB

Thinking about it, I assume that both these long tracks are embedded into my slide show even though only a couple of minutes of them was used.

That is a pain for me as it prevents me from including a short demo with my downloadable videos, the file sizes get too big.

So, if I am right, perhaps there is a way when the exe file is created for the music to be treated like it is in Audacity. Anything you cut off is disgarded and the file size becomes smaller.

I also thought a logical next step is to allow us to record commentary within PTE too.

Barry,

Until something is answered by Igor to this matter ... read the little tidbit information I posted sometime ago.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11438&view=findpost&p=74107

This would solve your issue as it saves all tracks and comments relative to the actual slideshow time into a single wavefile for you to convert or do whatever.

I asked a question about this during the run up to 6.5 and Igor said that the multiple tracks etc would be saved to a composite track of the correct duration etc when the project was saved as an EXE.

In other words, what you think is happening shouldn't happen unless Igor was forced to change his mind?

DG

Barry,

Thanks, but I want something quick that produces the demo as I am recording the video or the time taken to make the demo starts to become too much

Currently ... there is no quicker method. Remember this is just a short term solution till Igor addresses the issue.

... In other words, what you think is happening shouldn't happen unless Igor was forced to change his mind ...

Did he really change his mind, he only said: "You will able (to) mix many music files". This does not mean that the exe-file will contain a single mixed track. If this were the case, PTE had to contain an mp3 encoder of something else to generate this track. This does not sound very reasonable.

Regards,

Xaver

Dave

I asked a question about this during the run up to 6.5 and Igor said that the multiple tracks etc would be saved to a composite track of the correct duration etc when the project was saved as an EXE.

In other words, what you think is happening shouldn't happen unless Igor was forced to change his mind?

DG

I also recall parts of the discussion.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11309&view=findpost&p=72998

It may be converting all tracks into the exe file, but it does not remove the parts of the tracks not used. I proved that yesterday by making a demo with Audacity and it was the difference between a 7MB file and an 18MB file. You can see for a 8 image demo that is too large.

Barry,

It may be converting all tracks into the exe file, but it does not remove the parts of the tracks not used. I proved that yesterday by making a demo with Audacity and it was the difference between a 7MB file and an 18MB file. You can see for a 8 image demo that is too large.

I can only assume you maynot be fully understanding the method of using the single WAVE File that is produced along with the MPEG2.

Once you build your Demo Size .pte slide show ... use VideoBuilder to create just the MPEG2 File with the Audio Option of LPCM. A single WAVE audio file is also produced that just contains the portions of sounds/music required and used only by the Demo Size ... it does remove the unused portions.

Once you have created the WAVE fIle ... you remove/replace the original sound/music content of the Demo Size .pte file with the WAVE File. Create the Demo Size exe slide show ... the overall filesize will be smaller.

* If you dont like to use WAVE Files ... convert it to MP3 or whatever.

Nobeestu

I owe you an appology because I read your original post, but to be honest never gave it much thought. I was annoyed that I could not create my demos without huge file sizes and didn't want to do anything at that point that was different to what I did before.

Having read your second post more carefully and after giving it a try I have to say thank you for a great solution and I regret not paying more attention to your first post.

My first demo was 18.4 MB, but using your idea it came down to 3.9 MB which is far more like it.

What made you think of that?

So, the "composite" audio file is only created for the DVD version and not for the executable?

Igor also said this:

"We'll mix music files in realtime without re-encoding. Probably we will add "Export tracks to MP3" option to mix all tracks into one audio file. You will able choose both ways".

DG

Barry,

What made you think of that?

I came across this MPEG2-WAVE File sometime ago in previous PTE versions. I used it for entirely a different purpose ... which was to get the exact mix of Project Music used in combination with Slide Music into a single file.

The single ouput WAVE file also allows me to always use the Syncronize Music & Slides setting which is normally not possible/available when using Slide Music.

• 4 weeks later...