WnSoft Forums

pte

tom millar

I haven't posted for a while as I was getting fustrated with PTE.

I recently got a Virus on my computer telling me I had 14 trogans on

my D drive which is my CD writer and then received a e-mail saying if I sent

$78 I would get an anti virus remover. I want to get a new computer soley for

photography and no access to internet in order that I wont get any virus in new

system.

What I want to know, and I have e-mailed Igor but received no response is Can

I get PTE on a CD to install on new system?

STonewall

I haven't posted for a while as I was getting fustrated with PTE.

I recently got a Virus on my computer telling me I had 14 trogans on

my D drive which is my CD writer and then received a e-mail saying if I sent

$78 I would get an anti virus remover. I want to get a new computer soley for

photography and no access to internet in order that I wont get any virus in new

system.

What I want to know, and I have e-mailed Igor but received no response is Can

I get PTE on a CD to install on new system?

STonewall

I am curious!

Does your computer have an antivirus program?

If not I suggest you get one of several free AV programs. I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials. It has protected me many times.

Also free and very good is AVG.

If you get a new computer, why not restore the old computer to original factory condition and use it as "photos only"

George :)

I am curious!

Does your computer have an antivirus program?

If not I suggest you get one of several free AV programs. I personally use Microsoft Security Essentials. It has protected me many times.

Also free and very good is AVG.

If you get a new computer, why not restore the old computer to original factory condition and use it as "photos only"

George :)

my computer at time didn't have one as I beleive people who create virus also create the programs.

Computer at present is a laptop so can get various degrees of prints as calibration doesn't really

work. I hope to get a new desk top that will do for photo's only so that will be that. It has been suggested that

I can buy one but as that defeats the purpose as I have already bought the program!

YOU ASKED

"What I want to know, and I have e-mailed Igor but received no response is Can

I get PTE on a CD to install on new system?"

and i gave you an answer

the deluxe version is only good for 2 yrs and then you have to buy again

if it is still on your working system, use Nobeefstu's tool to recover your key and then put all the info on a cd and store it

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10273&st=0&p=66807&fromsearch=1entry66807

if you are not going to go to internet how do you plan on getting up dates ?

how are you going to update the operating system etc

ken

Tom,

I think you have been the victim of a spamming hoax. I'd like to bet that there isn't a single real virus on your machine. It was just some criminals trying to get you to part with your money and your credit card details - I hope you didn't send them the money. I've had these scenarios two or three times in the past - but I'm too wily a bird to fall for their tricks.

I suggest you run a full scan with your existing, or one of the reputable and free, anti-virus products to reassure yourself?

regards,

Peter

my computer at time didn't have one as I beleive people who create virus also create the programs.

Computer at present is a laptop so can get various degrees of prints as calibration doesn't really

work. I hope to get a new desk top that will do for photo's only so that will be that. It has been suggested that

I can buy one but as that defeats the purpose as I have already bought the program!

AV providers do not write viruses!

I have been working with computers since 1981.

My first 10 yrs. I did not use AV. Then very bad people started to try to to take over your computer and yes your identity.

I first tried Nortor AV. Nice yet it does slow your computer down.

Years later and different programs, (2009) I migratede to Microsoft Secutity Essential.

Before Micosoft Essentials I used Free AVG a very nice program.

So in conclusion I woud encourage you to try a "Free" program (you might be surprised) to check your computer. You can allways uninstall.

PS. Backup your computer reguraly!!!!!

Good luck

George

STonewall

Can I make a suggestion?

Please don't be offended by what I am about to say, but the questions you have put on the forum tells me that perhaps you need a little more help than this forum can offer. We are great at fireing suggestions at you, but something tells me that what you need is a little one to one experience with someone who knows their way around the computer better than you and can help and reassure you especially about viruses.

Viruses are not a problem these days (with a bit of common sense) and modern software is updated so often that isolating a Photographic PC from the internet doesn't seem to me to make a whole lot of sense. It indicates to me that your fear of a virus is far greater than the actual threat.

Peter is right, that more often than not the virus threat is a hoax and we should ignore it inless it comes from the virus protection software installed on our computer and you need to know that even they get it wrong sometimes in their eagerness to protect us.

If your a part of a Photo Club find someone to give you a helping hand as it seems to me you would benefit from that. I may have misread your mail and your experience and if so there will be plenty of info above to draw on, but if you need someone to chat to, you will find my phone number via the links below on a contact page. Just remember I live in Australia and would not like to have to answer technical questions at 3am :rolleyes: .