WnSoft Forums

Web site question

trailertrash

How do I get it to play directly from my web server. Many of you have video that plays directly from your own web sites by clicking a link and opening media player. I cant work out how to do that.

I created an MP4 file and uploaded it to my web space, then put a link to it on a JPG and thought that should then play, but it just offers open or save.

Anyone got any ideas please.

Andrew

Andrew,

It is more usual to upload slide shows in the 'Flash' format.

Read my tutorial on 'Converting an MP4 file to a SWF file for display on a web site'

In case you haven't already got a copy of this, please email me and I will send it to you.

Ron.

Go to a page which has such a video embedded and then, in the Menu, click on VIEW / PAGE SOURCE.

That will display the HTML code and give you a clue how to do it?

DG

Dave, I understand the code and where it goes, but what I dont know is where you get it from ......

Once the MP4 is converted to .flv or .swf etc it still leaves you with a video file....where do I get the code to embed in the page?

Andrew

Ron and Dave, Thank you both for the advice. This is exactly what I have always wanted to be able to do.

Ron, your tut is a masterpiece. I have managed to get it right almost first time. Look out for loads of links to my videos now. God nooooo I hear you shout!!!! :lol:

Many thanks

Andrew

Ron and Dave, Thank you both for the advice. This is exactly what I have always wanted to be able to do.

Ron, your tut is a masterpiece. I have managed to get it right almost first time. Look out for loads of links to my videos now. God nooooo I hear you shout!!!! :lol:

Many thanks

Andrew

Andrew,

I don't know who hosts your web site but please be aware that there is oftem a restriction on 'BAND WIDTH' that may well affect how much uploading and downloading that your site is allowed.

I have now paid extra to my hosts (Netcetera) for unlimited bandwidth so I am no longer faced with any restrictions.

Please let me have the URL to your web site so that I can take a look at whatever you decide to upload.

Ronnie West

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Andrew

I'm a bit confused, I assumed the shows would play directly from your web site? Similar to You Tube. I tried the first one the film cassette & the screen with the play arrow appeared, the film advanced along the bottom then stopped halfway, which in YT is a symptom of my slow broadband speed. Could it be I haven't got the software to run them direct, or is it my BB speed, or do I have to download the show aka mediafire?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :unsure:

Andrew,

I tried the Kodachrome show and it played all the way through without glitches.

Transitions and animations were, however, not smooth and I felt that there was more animation than necessary for the super images you were presenting.

The downloaded PTE show is smooth as silk and it beats me why anyone would want to watch the flash show when the PTE EXE is available.

Minor point - the music was entirely inappropriate IMHO.

Once again - super images. If you regard the flash show as a trailer for the main event (the PTE show) then it's OK.

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

When I was coming out of PTE I found my system was downloading the show, so I allowed it to continue & played it as an exe file. I found the concept of the show great, but for that type of show I think your own pictures would be more appropriate & hold my attention better. The animation when the full size picture came on the screen wasn't necessary IMHO. The music sounded great through my speakers but would have been more appropriate if all the shots were landscapes, also beware giving too many details about the track, just the title should keep you out of problems. "All in all", as Michelle Roux is saying at the moment "a good effort". Haven't the time to compete at the moment. ;)

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Andrew

I'm a bit confused, I assumed the shows would play directly from your web site? Similar to You Tube. I tried the first one the film cassette & the screen with the play arrow appeared, the film advanced along the bottom then stopped halfway, which in YT is a symptom of my slow broadband speed. Could it be I haven't got the software to run them direct, or is it my BB speed, or do I have to download the show aka mediafire?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. :unsure:

Since all others have reported no issues Eric I think Its your local BB speed. I dont have these on Mediafire. The whole point of this is to run everything from my own web space.

Andrew

Andrew,

I tried the Kodachrome show and it played all the way through without glitches.

Transitions and animations were, however, not smooth and I felt that there was more animation than necessary for the super images you were presenting.

The downloaded PTE show is smooth as silk and it beats me why anyone would want to watch the flash show when the PTE EXE is available.

Minor point - the music was entirely inappropriate IMHO.

Once again - super images. If you regard the flash show as a trailer for the main event (the PTE show) then it's OK.

DG

Thanks for the advice Dave. The probelm and the whole reason I wanted to do this is because of my friends and family's reluctance to download an exe file. I reassure them on the entry page but you know what folks are like. Ideally I wanted them to play in Media player as per Barry's method but I still dont know how to do that yet. Taking your idea of a trailer...now thats a cunning idea. Use the flash as a taster for the exe.....

Andrew

When I was coming out of PTE I found my system was downloading the show, so I allowed it to continue & played it as an exe file. I found the concept of the show great, but for that type of show I think your own pictures would be more appropriate & hold my attention better. The animation when the full size picture came on the screen wasn't necessary IMHO. The music sounded great through my speakers but would have been more appropriate if all the shots were landscapes, also beware giving too many details about the track, just the title should keep you out of problems. "All in all", as Michelle Roux is saying at the moment "a good effort". Haven't the time to compete at the moment. ;)

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Thanks Eric, the concept is entirely Barry's and I just altered it for my own imagination.I liked the music also although it wasnt liked by others, but thats fine. I'll apply what you advise ref the music details in future. Michelle Roux is my sons hero, being a chef himself. That guys a genius.

"Haven't the time to compete at the moment" !!!!!!!! compete?

Andrew

Hi,

Your slideshows are great. Unfortunately your flash only player prevents them from being viewed on Apple portable devices (8 million ipads sold, not including iphone). Some video players like jw player can fallback to html5. Another option is to detect apple devices and redirect the browser to a mp4 version of the slideshow.

Tom

<html>

<head>

<title>My Slideshow</title>

<script type="text/javascript" src="ipod.js"></script>

</head>

<body>

<!-- flash code here -->

</body>

</html>

#ipod.js

if((navigator.userAgent.match(/iPhone/i)) || (navigator.userAgent.match(/iPod/i)) || (navigator.userAgent.match(/iPad/i)))

{

location.replace("slideshow.mp4");

}

This looks complex but I assume the code would allow apple users to view the show. I also assume I would have to upload the MP4 to the web site for that to happen.

The mp4 is better quality but I just dont know how to get it to run via media player which would allow everyone to see it.any ideas?

Andrew

Ron, thank you for sending me your tutorial on MP4 to SWF.

I just took a look and my website provider doesn't allow using my own code.

I have a very cheap provider plan, and will have to upgrade to use the procedure.

Best regards and thanks again, Gayland.

Andrew,

It is more usual to upload slide shows in the 'Flash' format.

Read my tutorial on 'Converting an MP4 file to a SWF file for display on a web site'

In case you haven't already got a copy of this, please email me and I will send it to you.

Ron.

Hi Andrew,

A flash swf video player is not required to play video if you encode with mp4. Instead of swf use a web video player that supports mp4 playback. I think Adobe Flash has supported h.264/mp4 since version 9.n. I use jwplayer but there are many other players.

Gisela's Garden using Simplify

This is a slightly different version than my previous example. The quality is not great (shimmer on fades) due to my use of low bitrate (764 kbps) to try and avoid pausing during playback. You can view the ipod.js include file here. Edit the name of your mp4 file in ipod.js. Then just add <script type="text/javascript" src="ipod.js"></script>

to the head of your html file. This is not necessary if you use something like jwplayer, which has fallback to html5.

Tom

Hi Tom, I had a look at this and downloaded the player. I love the quality of it and the flow looks great.Its going to take me a while to even begin to understand where to start...

I must have used up all my brain cells years ago. I'll plug away at it and see how I get on. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Andrew

Thanks for the advice Dave. The probelm and the whole reason I wanted to do this is because of my friends and family's reluctance to download an exe file. I reassure them on the entry page but you know what folks are like. Ideally I wanted them to play in Media player as per Barry's method but I still dont know how to do that yet. Taking your idea of a trailer...now thats a cunning idea. Use the flash as a taster for the exe.....

Andrew

I am also confused Andrew, I was expecting your flash shows to run directly from your web site (like mine do at My Site:

If you want to do the same as Barry Beckham, then you will have to purchsae the 'Camtasia' software and it 'aint cheap!

Ron