WnSoft Forums

30,000 to 1 Compression

Almark

Hi guys, please forgive me for posting this here. It is not a PTE production. But I suspect it might be of interest to PTE workers. Almost 2GB compressed in to just 64k. (That's right 64k, not 64MB) It is an exe, and runs for 15 mins in total. Please note how the soundtrack, beats to the images, the fade ins and outs.

Download should be almost instantaneous, as it is only 64k - here

Clearly this is very dated, ten years old, but it was the engine that went on to become 'DOOM' and 'Quake' and basis for almost all modern games.

Mark,

Yes, it's compact (VERY!!) But all the edges are jaggedy during the animation. In their drive towards compactness, they've sacrificed quality. A standard that is (was?) good enough for the games industry isn't good enough for me as an AV worker. Now, if the wizards at Wnsoft could achieve that sort of compression with no loss of quality.....

regards,

Peter

Andrew, it's all in the coding...

Peter, please remember that this was done ten years ago, when really big monitors were only 800 pixels wide, most were just 640. The purpose of the 'Product' was to illustrate to the gaming software companies, that an 'engine' could be the starting point for their future gaming products. It was most successful, Doom, Quake and many others used the 'engine'. Of course it has been super-ceeded many, many times since then.

Just a trip down memory lane... But still in 2010, this mere 64k exe is impressive. I liked the fades and leaps of perspective to the music.

Hi Mark,

I have a Toshiba CRT TV which gives a great picture. when it breaks down (if ever) I will get HD TV but I doubt it will increase my enjoyment of watching any particular show. Ditto with this show. I thought it was amazing and a little jaggerdy edge, when spotted, did not detract. When you think of the poor quality of one photo downsized to 64kb then "impressive" is an understatement.

• 5 weeks later...