WnSoft Forums

Is sharpening recommended

Bert

Hello,

I am new to this forum, I did a search under sharpen, but nothing came up. :huh:

I like to transfer a slide show that I used to show with 2 projectors and a disolve unit, into a Digital Slide Show. I have a Minolta Dual III film scanner that scan's to 2800DPI. For the best quality projection, is it recommended to scan the +/-150 slides in as high resolution Tiff's and then transform them to JPEG's or scan them in as JPEG's right away? (Timesaver). When I make 9" x 13" prints from my slides I always sharpen them (unsharp mask) before printing, what makes a big difference in appearance. Is this also recommended for Digital Projection? I know I should not make JPEG's if I going to sharpen.

Thanks,

Bert

Bert:

Welcome to the forum !!! You will find PTE lots of fun.

Everyone tends to have their own work routine with digital, I will pass along mine for what it is worth.

Scan at 1200 dpi (I do not normally print my images so that is why the 1200 dpi, if I was printing at 8x10 or larger I would scan at as high a dpi as possible)

Keep the initial scan version as your "master" so you can always go back to them without scanning again.

For PTE use, I make a copy of the master and then clean the dust etc up, adjust the colour etc, sharpen using USM and jpg them to 1024x864 or 800x600 quality 5.

Just as in printing, do NOT over sharpen for digital projection as it will show even more than in a print.

Hello Bert,

I use the minolta Dual also and find that it's auto settings usually put you near where you want to be. As you will know scanners will add noise to your image so try Neat image at www.neatimage.com this is a simple little programme which will remove this noise first. No point in sharpening noise is there?

Best wishes,

Alan

Bert.

If I am producing images for a PTE show I do not sharpen them until I have resized them. I have no scientific reason for thinking that sharpening twice may not be a good option. It's something I have always done. Having said that I now shoot images in raw and do sharpen them within the Photoshop Raw filter, but that is done before I converty to a Photoshop file and it does not appear to give me any negative aspects at all.

When we remove pixels from a high resolution image, which is what we are doing when we size/prepare PTE images, it effects the overall sharpness.

Try getting them to size first and then add unsharp mask, but I agree you should not overdo this.

I don't know if that helps?

bbdigital

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions, Alan your point about removing the noise first before sharpen is well taken. Barry if I understand you correctly does it mean that you resize the image first to 1024 X 864 as a Tiff, than sharpen and than save them as a JPEG? Also are there some things that are different between a digital projected image and the one you see on the screen? (Darker or lighter, more or less contrast, etc.)

Thanks,

Bert

Bert

Yes I do resize first from a photoshop or tiff file. The file you work from is not an issue as they are all Photoshop files while open in photoshop.

There can be some differences between PC projectors, but nothing you can compensate for. It is mostly colour and contrast and the better the projector the better the match between small and large screens.

Generally most ,odern projectors will do a great job. They do have controls too and contrast and lightness and darkness are all available on my Sony

bbdigital