WnSoft Forums

"Um dia... em Agosto" / "One day... in August"

orizaba

Um dia… em Agosto / One day… in August

File size 158,08 MB

Running time 19:10

Aspect ratio 16:9

Resolution 1920x1080

Intended audience: not only family and friends, I hope…

Synopsis:

When I steped in that old historic steam train for a short ride along Douro river valley, I couldnt imagine how deep memories of my youth would mark such day… in August.

Old images and sounds blending with scens passing by, just like Miguel Torga described in his poem (sorry for somekind of literal translation):

That voice (a so happy voice…!)

who speaks to me from the past,

although I can hardly hear,

it seems to me its true…

Note:

This is a hard project in terms of needed computer performance, thats why a perfect and smooth image is only achieved by means of a Blu-ray disc recording. Sorry!

However, I must congratulate and thank Igor and all his WnSoft team for the unique possibility of making this PTE slideshow.

I would thank to all my PTE fellows for all criticisms and comments on this first uploaded project of mine.

"Um dia... em Agosto" (WINDOWS) http://www.mediafire.com/?if1hb8cw2w3wrw7

"Um dia... em Agosto" (MAC) http://www.mediafire.com/?9bnrkoj43co9la9

“Um dia… em Agosto” / “One day… in August”

File size 158,08 MB

Resolution 1920x1080

=================================

Greetings,

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch the entire show yet. After a few minutes, I had to answer the phone and found that there are no keyboard or navigation controls. (The right-mouse button does let you advance the images). You've got some great images and really interesting animations. However, I wish it (and every show) had controls to at least Pause the show, if not full navigation bar controls. This is needed especially with an almost 20 minute show. I know this has been discussed and bantered about before so I don't want to start anything. But I will try to replay your show as soon as I have 20 minutes of uninterrupted span of time. Thanks for the show. It looks like a great story to watch.

Thanks... Gary

I really enjoyed the show but I personally would have liked to see it as two different shows. To me it seemed logical to end the first half at the end of the initial train sequence and make the part with the vineyards and grapes and historical people/festival pictures an entirely different show. (Sorry, I couldn't understand the text comments so perhaps I missed something.) Also, I don't think the outside beige frame added anything to the show. I would have preferred to see the pictures full screen. Other than that, I loved the animations. How very clever to have the passing scenery animate by the train. I think I would have made all of the animations just a bit slower. Some of them were a bit too fast to truly appreciate. The music was great and very suitable to the photography. I love riding old steam trains and this looked like a fun excursion. Thanks for taking us along.

Please anyone, do not be put off by the length of this show or the time taken to download. I found it thoroughly enthralling with new visual interest around every corner and sound effects and music to match. This certainly was a "tour de force" and an inspiration to me at least to try some new techniques. Shame about the frame.

Please anyone, do not be put off by the length of this show or the time taken to download. I found it thoroughly enthralling with new visual interest around every corner and sound effects and music to match. This certainly was a "tour de force" and an inspiration to me at least to try some new techniques. Shame about the frame.

Hi, Mickp,

I am KO (yes, KO!) with your post!

Which better promotion could I have for my SlideShow?

Thanks for your lines... and advice!

In fact, I must say that you rised 2 situations which make me feel "unsecured" in terms of people's way of thinking!

First:

Why a big project (big running time, big size and big downloading time) is "out of question" for most people, as I already detected in other discussions in this Forum?

I think it is not understandable at all, on the contrary, it is a very big mistake!

Are people always in a hurry?

What is the problem?

Second: FRAME!

You say "Shame about the frame"

Mary (former comment) also disagreed with my frame.

And in other discussions in this Forum I already saw that a frame is reason enough to exclude projects in some photo/slideshow competitions.

Ok. I can say that I fully respect each one's opinion, but may be each case is a case...

And in this particular case of this project of mine, I think I have a "definitive" justification!

This project is intended to burn Blu-ray discs and so, to be seen by each one, at home, in TV displays, full surround sound.

And here comes the so-called TV Safe Zone, which "eats" part of the image.

Each TV set "eats" variable doses of image, not always the same geometry.

I really want people see what I want to be seen, not what their TV sets "decide" to show.

So, I created such dégradé beije frame, which allows each TV set to "eat" what it wants, without the whole picture be damaged in its proportions/framing.

I remember that this problem has already been discussed in this Forum, and solution hasn't yet been found.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11946&view=findpost&p=76806

So this frame of mine was created, beeing beige color choosen because it's quite a neutral color and it agrees with "old memories" spirit of the Show, and dégradé was made exactly with the purpose of allowing a variable "cut" from each TV set.

I hope I can go free...!

Thanks again for your most welcome comments.

Jose

I really enjoyed the show but I personally would have liked to see it as two different shows. To me it seemed logical to end the first half at the end of the initial train sequence and make the part with the vineyards and grapes and historical people/festival pictures an entirely different show. (Sorry, I couldn't understand the text comments so perhaps I missed something.) Also, I don't think the outside beige frame added anything to the show. I would have preferred to see the pictures full screen. Other than that, I loved the animations. How very clever to have the passing scenery animate by the train. I think I would have made all of the animations just a bit slower. Some of them were a bit too fast to truly appreciate. The music was great and very suitable to the photography. I love riding old steam trains and this looked like a fun excursion. Thanks for taking us along.

Hi, Mary,

Thanks very much for your kind words and "report" on my project.

It is first time I upload a project to be seen and "judged" by other PTE members, and each comment I receive it is really an excitement! Mainly because I know it is quite an independent judgement made by PTE experts, which adds an extra value and allow to learn more and more.

Now, concerning your comments:

You are right, may be you missed my inserted phrases in Portuguese, because such words are exactly the introduction/justification of what comes next.

Please note that such phrases are over 3 old photos of my youth, and over the train we are riding, and everything is sepia, so, next images "pretend" to be my own memories of my days (in August...) I spent in such vineyards, taking part in vintages, etc.. This way, I don't see any reason to separate the Show in 2 parts.

The same concerning next "memories", when train is passing by those green trees, its constant and "sleeping" steam noise, and I start remembering (over the trees passing by) some other moments of those old times.

Suddenly... the train stops at TUA station and all action takes a new rithm.

Concerning my frame... please see my former reply.

Animations a bit slower, too fast to truly appreciate.

May be, may be you have some reason...

Or not, in my opinion!

I had to follow soundtrack music rithm, so instead of "one image per n compasses" I would be obliged do duplicate or triplicate compasses, which fact would result in a too long time. My opinion is that it is always desirable that people wants more, than people be tired and only waiting for the next!

In fact, around 2 seconds is time enough to see and appreciate a static picture. The same is not true for a moving picture, but in some cases I have not "picture enough" to pan or zoom.

Thanking again for your lines,

Jose

Hi Jose,

Quick replies to your comments:-

"First" - Download speeds in UK are generally low unless you are on Cable, so this may put people off. However, you have encouraged me to put on a show on our Lake District which is 10 minutes long, so I hope you at least will watch it.

"Second" - I was going to add that the frame may work better on a 16:9 TV although I think the width of the frame should be the same all the way round. It looked very odd on my 4:3 monitor.

I am not sure of your comment to Mary about "PTE experts". I am sure most of us can learn something from your work.

“Um dia… em Agosto” / “One day… in August”

File size 158,08 MB

Resolution 1920x1080

==================

Greetings,

I turned off the phone and didn't answer the door. I was able to view the entire show. Really enjoyed it. Lots of nice techniques, music and sound effects. And, I liked the frame! It fit well with the use of the old images.

Gary

Hi Jose,

With apprehension I downloaded your show, expecting that it would be too long to hold my attention. How wrong I was. The moving train, the nostalgic pictures, the music and the diverse sounds made for a great ride thru memory lane.

Thanks for making it public.

==================

Greetings,

I turned off the phone and didn't answer the door. I was able to view the entire show. Really enjoyed it. Lots of nice techniques, music and sound effects. And, I liked the frame! It fit well with the use of the old images.

Gary

Hi, Gary,

Thanks for your nice comments.

I was just waiting for you to see the complete project, in order to "comment" about the "PAUSE/PLAY" suggestion of yours.

First, may be after you have seen the complete project, you have not the same opinion...

My thinking is that if something is made to be seen without interruptions (just like in a cinema hall) interruptions must not be allowed!

After all, when someone goes to cinema, session doesn't pause in any circunstance because of each one's affairs...! Authors, directors, producers and actors would be very much disapointed with such lack of attention and consideration...!

I know, of course, that these amateurs' SlideShows are not the same, but I think that same spirit should be practiced, so, no PAUSE/PLAY button!

You liked my frame, but such frame is not enjoyed by everyone and I accept that.

Anyhow, do you agree with my "justification" as I put it to Mickp and Mary, in my former replies?

Regards and thanks again for your lines.

Jose

Hi, Gary,

Thanks for your nice comments.

I was just waiting for you to see the complete project, in order to "comment" about the "PAUSE/PLAY" suggestion of yours.

First, may be after you have seen the complete project, you have not the same opinion...

My thinking is that if something is made to be seen without interruptions (just like in a cinema hall) interruptions must not be allowed!

After all, when someone goes to cinema, session doesn't pause in any circunstance because of each one's affairs...! Authors, directors, producers and actors would be very much disapointed with such lack of attention and consideration...!

I know, of course, that these amateurs' SlideShows are not the same, but I think that same spirit should be practiced, so, no PAUSE/PLAY button!

You liked my frame, but such frame is not enjoyed by everyone and I accept that.

Anyhow, do you agree with my "justification" as I put it to Mickp and Mary, in my former replies?

Regards and thanks again for your lines.

Jose

========================

Greetings,

Since I don't disagree with how the frame looks, I don't think you need any justification. But for your technical reasons, if the Blu-ray process 'eats up the frame', I can understand your purpose.

However, about your 'pause/play' reasoning. I know that others have offered similar reasoning. I don't agree. When we are sitting in the movies, we are a captured audience--not subject to phone calls or door bell interruptions, etc. Sometimes I miss some dialog in a theater and wish I could rewind the movie but I can't.

When I am home, things happen. I can pause/play/rewind a Spielberg movie at home, and I don't think he would mind. Having these controls lets me enjoy the presentation more, not less. They even have Directors cuts where someone who talks over the action. After I play a PTE show completely through, I might want to go back and check out an image or a transition that captured my imagination. With no controls, I would have to run through the entire show, over and over again. If I can pause/play/rewind a Hollywood movie for my enjoyment, I don't think it detracts from any PTE show if it had the same capabilities. (Maybe you didn't intend to have the right-mouse button work but if it is clicked, it will allows the viewer manually advance through your show. :o )

Sincerely, Gary

========================

Greetings,

Since I don't disagree with how the frame looks, I don't think you need any justification. But for your technical reasons, if the Blu-ray process 'eats up the frame', I can understand your purpose.

However, about your 'pause/play' reasoning. I know that others have offered similar reasoning. I don't agree. When we are sitting in the movies, we are a captured audience--not subject to phone calls or door bell interruptions, etc. Sometimes I miss some dialog in a theater and wish I could rewind the movie but I can't.

When I am home, things happen. I can pause/play/rewind a Spielberg movie at home, and I don't think he would mind. Having these controls lets me enjoy the presentation more, not less. They even have Directors cuts where someone who talks over the action. After I play a PTE show completely through, I might want to go back and check out an image or a transition that captured my imagination. With no controls, I would have to run through the entire show, over and over again. If I can pause/play/rewind a Hollywood movie for my enjoyment, I don't think it detracts from any PTE show if it had the same capabilities. (Maybe you didn't intend to have the right-mouse button work but if it is clicked, it will allows the viewer manually advance through your show. :o )

Sincerely, Gary

Gary,

I must say I am "almost" convinced to accept your resons about PAUSE/PLAY button!

In fact, all my thinking is based on a "first preview session", I mean, when a show is seen for the first time. This is the usual situation when we go to the movies, is it not? This is the moment of the first good (or bad) impact of the movie (or show, in our case). In such first preview I would keep away of any control possibility for the reasons I already told.

But you are 100% right when you say that I, myself, enjoy "study" and review some parts of a Spielberg film, when I am at home playing a DVD, and so using pause/play/rewind controls.

So, beeing not possible to change control availability after first preview, may be you are right, may be common sense advises to include such controls from start, I will think on this again. And thanks for your considerations.

And yes, I didn't intend to let the right-mouse button work, it's my fault.

Best regards,

Jose

Hi Jose,

Quick replies to your comments:-

"First" - Download speeds in UK are generally low unless you are on Cable, so this may put people off. However, you have encouraged me to put on a show on our Lake District which is 10 minutes long, so I hope you at least will watch it.

"Second" - I was going to add that the frame may work better on a 16:9 TV although I think the width of the frame should be the same all the way round. It looked very odd on my 4:3 monitor.

I am not sure of your comment to Mary about "PTE experts". I am sure most of us can learn something from your work.

You are right, low download speeds is a nightmare! Cable is much better and I didn't think on that detail as I am used to cable. Sorry.

Of course, my frame is intended to work on a 16:9 TV set (Blu-ray disc), and (most important) if you play the BD disc on a 16:9 TV set you will see that width is the same all the way round! That's why I had to make it NOT equal, in order to be seen equal.

Thanks and best regards,

Jose

Hi Jose,

With apprehension I downloaded your show, expecting that it would be too long to hold my attention. How wrong I was. The moving train, the nostalgic pictures, the music and the diverse sounds made for a great ride thru memory lane.

Thanks for making it public.

Hi Bert,

Thanks so much for your time and comments.

I am happy to see that you enjoyed my show, even if it is 19 minutes long...!

I started such project last August 2010 and I only interrupted for 2 weeks till this January 15.

So, it took exactly 5 months to build it, working not less than 6 hours/day (or night!) 7 days/week.

Conclusion: I am slow...!

Starting by a very simple idea for the first sequence of images, I always prepare first the respective soundtrack piece, and this soundtrack will conduct image edition till it ends. Next, new idea and new piece of soundtrack. And another image edition. Etc..

5 months!

Best regards,

Jose

Download link doesn't work for me, can you check availability of your files at mediafire?

Regards,

Frank

Sorry, I just checked and everything is ok and working. People are downloading and I myself tried and I downloaded.

I checked WINDOWS file, but I think MAC file is good as well.

WINDOWS link is:

www.mediafire.com/?if1hb8cw2w3wrw7

Please, try again.

Jose

I get access to download the MAC-file link but with the Windows-file link I get "Website not available".

Maybe it has reached its download limit?

No, not possible!

I myself can download the WINDOWS file using the link.

What do you think I can do?

Today I was successful in downloading.

I watched it with pleasure because of all the old pictures that got me in a special mood. These pictures were mostly excellent, having a special view on the things they show. Sorry to say that many of the new pictures don't have the same intensity. It's not only monochrom vs. color, the one who made the old pictures had a special ability to capture moments and not only images.

Good selection of music, for the viewers who understand portugese maybe more than good.

I like most of the animations, blending and combinations. What I don't like are most of the animations with the cut-out foreground. Once it was fun, with the leaving train seen from the inner side of another train, but in most other cases my impression was "If he wants to show picture-combinations which imagine it is video, he should have used video.". In my opinion a slideshow should not try to be a video, because it will always end as the worse little brother and vice versa.

Sometimes less is more.

Overall you got me in it. I watched the complete 19 minutes and this is a long time. Don't take the critics too serious.

Regards,

Frank

Today I was successful in downloading.

I watched it with pleasure because of all the old pictures that got me in a special mood. These pictures were mostly excellent, having a special view on the things they show. Sorry to say that many of the new pictures don't have the same intensity. It's not only monochrom vs. color, the one who made the old pictures had a special ability to capture moments and not only images.

Good selection of music, for the viewers who understand portugese maybe more than good.

I like most of the animations, blending and combinations. What I don't like are most of the animations with the cut-out foreground. Once it was fun, with the leaving train seen from the inner side of another train, but in most other cases my impression was "If he wants to show picture-combinations which imagine it is video, he should have used video.". In my opinion a slideshow should not try to be a video, because it will always end as the worse little brother and vice versa.

Sometimes less is more.

Overall you got me in it. I watched the complete 19 minutes and this is a long time. Don't take the critics too serious.

Regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

I am sorry for my delay in "commenting" your own comments because I have been somewhat busy trying to overpass a technical problem on how to burn a high quality BD out of my PTE project.

I "think" you are quite aware of such problem, are you not...?

Anyhow, I wouldn't miss to exchange some words with you concerning my project, it will be my pleasure.

First of all, thanks very much for your opinions to which I paid all my attention.

You are right: the 2 photographers who made all "old" images were 2 great professional artists very much appreciated in Portugal and all their work is kept in our National Photo Institute.

Photos date from 1933 and I, myself, find them great, great photos.

They were Domingos Alvão and Emil Biel (as shown in final credits).

By no means my own photos can be compared with theirs.

This can take us to next point: animations with cut-out foreground.

And "If he wants to show picture-combinations which imagine it is video, he should have used video".

Here we are at last!

Let us discuss, ok?

1. No, I didn't want to imagine it is video! I did want, yes, to captivate the viewer's attention by giving him a small (and different) approach to reality.

Why?

Why not?

And why should I pretend to be video? Is video the limit? Why not 35mm or 3D?

2. Now, Frank, as a sort of a small parenthesis in order to follow my thoughts, I will dare saying something horrible...

But it is only an opinion, my opinion, no more no less than an unvaluable but honest opinion.

Since 2 years ago, when I discovered PTE, I have watched a few PTE SlideShows, not too many, I confess.

And I always wonder why with such a so powerful software in their hands, people always make the easiest samething, only using some 10% of PTE possibilities!

I always found it amazing!

After all, what for is Igor working so hard?

In fact, I think that "problem" of long projects is not only downloading times.

In my opinion, and as rule (there are always exceptions)... they are boring, no more, no less.

Why boring?

Because our attention is not enough captivated.

We may be enjoying the extreme quality of photos and framing.

We may find the music much appropriate.

So what? Is it enough?

Where is the show?

3. So, re-taking my former thoughts on the subject.

I have the opinion that a SlideShow MUST be a "VISUAL SHOW" in all circunstances.

Sober or less sober, exciting, dramatic, naturalist, historic, musical or romantic, but always a visual show.

Forget slides.

It could be drawings, engravings, whatever.

The point is: we are dealing with images.

Let's make a VisualShow with such images.

Main compromise of our "production" should be: how to captivate viewers.

Have I a software capable of producing something special? Yes, indeed, what a tool it is!

So, why not use it?

Background music? Ok, it's most used, it's quite an easy habit.

Some fades? On the contrary, lots of them, the most sophisticated ones...

Some pans and zooms? Ok, as well, easy to produce.

However,

Some kind of sound effects? Humm...

Some kind of story? Hummm...

Some kind of visual "special effects"? Hummmm... (Sorry Frank... why didn't I make a video instead...?)

Some kind of "professional presentation"? Hummmmm...

Some kind of interest? Oh, yes, nice pictures! Period.

Downloading times...? Sure...

4. I think that main reason for actual uninteresting situation is only a question of aquired habits.

People easily accept a background music because they are used to.

A pan or zoom, because they are used to.

Frank, why not an electricity post passing by, over a panning landscape? What, or where is the difference?

These are the so-called "animations with cut-out foreground" which you didn't like after the first "funny" one.

I assume that you didn't like because they were too many (!?), not because of its quality which is not good indeed (I couldn't find a way of avoiding that razor-cut edges of foreground moving (or fixed) objects, as I couldn't smooth the edges of the masks involved, really needing a black&white edge dégradé, not possible with my image software).

So, too many.

So, why not a video instead?

Just because I was dealing with photos, not with video, that's easy.

But Frank, tell me: do you really think that such clips didn't help to increase viewers attention?

I think they did.

By means of a different way of giving an image? A "multiple" (and more real, I hope) image of a scenario which I was indeed interested to show.

Using a great possibility offered by PTE.

No, I didn't pretend to make any kind of approach to video.

I 100% agree with you: "a slideshow should not try to be a video, because it will always end as the worse little brother".

A Visual Show, Frank, it will always be my main goal.

Viewers must be "prisoners" of the show, and if it is the case they will watch for 30 minutes or more, with attention and pleasure. These are not exclusive sensations of video or cinema. SlideShows can do it as well.

5. One last point.

Before this "Um dia... em Agosto" (I took 5 months to do it), I made another "big" project (27:01), a 100% "family slideshow" (8 months production). I decided to tell to our grand sons, the "story" of first 50 years of their grand mother, my wife. You can hardly imagine the kind of show it is, and I am sorry not to upload it (obvious reasons, and also because it is not spoken but only sub-titled (in Portuguese). No big "video attempts" this time, but several "tricks" on how to show more than 400 photos in 27 minutes. Too long? Never!

So I know that I have some reason on this point.

This is to say that I perfectly accept the "photo purists", the ones to whom a photo is everything by itself.

For these respectable people I "accept" a most particular (and "dry", should I say) kind of slideshows. It's a photo. Next. Next. Next... Period.

Out of this (legal) world, a slideshow must be a real show for most of us who assist a slideshow (whatever beeing the subject), instead of going to movies or watching TV.

Too much long...?

It always depends...

Let's fly with PTE!

Frank, thanks for your patience!

Let me run before I am crucified...!

Best regards,

Jose

Hi Jose,

short answer to your long statement.

regarding 1. ...giving him a small (and different) approach to reality

You did and many may like it but some won't. I think it should be used less often.

regarding 2.

You can make shows three different ways interesting for the viewer. Focusing on special effects, focusing on storytelling, focusing on art or surrealism. Every focus has its audience. When you look at film and cinema the ones with really long playtime focus on storytelling. You can substitute a lack of storytelling by interesting effects or artistic photography, but not to any degree.

We need to attract our audience, but different audience, different taste.

regarding 3.

I agree with most of it, but again, it's all about the right dosage and for my taste sometimes too much.

Downloading times shouldn't be a issue for most of us. Length of the show - if I don't like it, then any length is too long anyway and vice versa.

regarding 4.

You claim that some won't like changing their habits. I don't think so, but it may be that you are only ahead of your time with your interprtation of visual show.

Surely slideshows can attract viewers for more than 30 minutes and sometimes they pay to see it. Some people finance their journeys with such things.

reagarding 5.

Last year I have created a show from our travel to china. Containing 439 images in 33 minutes. It did not took 5 months to produce but was viewed with pleasure by all of the other group members and their families. Surely it is not picture after picture, but also not as modern as yours. I played with PictureInPicture, animated and not animated, horizontal and vertical pans, changing between slower and faster paces, etc..

It was fun to use many capabilities of PTE.

Regards,

Frank

Is there a reason that the mediafire link isn't working for me.

No reason at all, everything is working fine.

Please try again... and again!

Some days ago a member from Germany had the same problem, and latter on he got it. I can't explain.