WnSoft Forums

Understanding Pan Z

davegee

Hi Dave,

Yes, there's lots to "digest" when getting into non-square constructions - sometimes one gets surprised even when they "think" they have it figured out - LOL. Experimenting make one even more appreciate the things that JPD was able to accomplish with PTE. I wish I had a tenth of his ability to project a thought and create a concrete representational pattern of the idea. The ability to see multi-dimensional seems to be a gift few are fortunate enough to possess.

The rendering was just a thought for some possible variations for your template. That one I created in Photoshop, but I think there are a number of them which can be freely downloaded and used to dress up the possible "skins" for some sophisticated frames.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Lin,

I have been trying to get a grip on the mathematical relationship between the Pan Z control and the elements it is being applied to.

I now see that the Pan Z parameter is a function of the PARENT in a Parent Child group. It's 100% value refers to the Width or Height of the Parent be it a Frame or another Object and that's an important thing to know when the object that you are building is not a perfect cube and has transparency as in the case of a photo frame. It is also important to SIZE a frame when starting something like this rather than accept a frame which is the same resolution as the project.

Thanks for the renderings which you sent in the PM - I will look into that! It wasn't what I was really setting out to achieve but it is the next logical step if I continue with the project.

DG

Ken,

I just uploaded this file to www.virustotal.com online service which can check files using several dozens of different antiviruses. It found nothing. Please re-download the file again. Probably your AVG antivirus settings have the highest level of sensitivity?

IGOR

ran original thru virustotal tested ok as it did you

redownloaded Daves file on the system that detected it and it ran ok -

who knows what went on

my anti virus is set to default settings

better safe than sorry

ken

I'll try.

I was using "folded box" construction to make the frame. It's my prefered method and I posted it a few years ago as the "Rose Cross" (inspired by Dan Brown). It works well for regular cubes!!

When I wanted to create the offset required to make the frame rotate around its central axis I was having to use Pan Z to acheive it but when the sides and front/back of an object are of different sizes the calculation of how much Pan Z to use becomes a little un-straightforward.

I later realised that using what I call "nested frames" was much easier for this application (photo frame).

I have used four frames in total to create the 1200x900 Photo Frame.

A "Rotation Frame" or Master Frame to do the animation (this can be the same res as the project).

I've added a child frame (60x900) to this at 90 degrees which controls the Front and Back. The top and bottom are attached to the front.

I then added a child frame (1200x900) to the 60x900 frame at -90 degrees to control the sides.

A further 900x600 frame is added to the 60x900 frame to hold the inside faces of the cutout. 900x600 (3:2) images can be added directly to this.

All faces are Show FRONT Side only.

The image in the frame could be changed by ending a slide with the frame at 90 degrees to the viewer and beginning a new slide the same way.

I will probably use it in a Start or Title sequence.

Modified Template attached.

DG

New thin frame.zip

Hi Peter,

Scroll up about seven or eight posts and you will find the template.

Best regards,

Lin

Dave,

What you attached was the zipped EXE file. The Template would be much more useful!

regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Please check that you have opened the right one?

Unfortunately the attachments in posts 28 and 33 have the same name but the one in #33 IS a TEMPLATE wheras the one in #28 is an EXE.

The file size and end result also differ.

DG

Hi Everyone and, in particular, Dave who started this thread.

I'd been too busy playing with cubes and pyramids to think about how to construct a cuboid or picture frame. Then I began reading these posts and became hooked, yet again! A big 'thank you' for providing all the shortcuts to getting started and for the discussions between all of you on the 'pros and cons' of how things might work differently/better.

The 'women's work' will have to wait yet again!

Regards,

Sheila G

I have only just started making AVs and I find that this subject is a bit beyond me. I have followed the instructions on how to make a cube and have succeded in completing one. However where can i find info on how to get the cube free floating. You help would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul Claridge

Paul,

If you haven't already done so, place your cube assembly as a child of a Frame parent. Then, with the Frame object selected in the Objects list of the O&A window, go to the Animation tab and click on "3D parameters". Experiment with some Rotate X and Rotate Y values between two keyframes.

regards,

Peter

I have redone my cube and it is working perfectly. How do I place the cube assembly into a parent frame as a child. I think that I understand the last bit.

Going to the pub now as my brain hurts and inane banter may sort it out.

He He

Paul

Save your project.

In O&A and with NOTHING selected (Click outside the Slide area) - Click on ADD FRAME in the Menu.

Select all of the original objects in your Cube Assembly project and COPY.

Right click on the newly created FRAME and PASTE.

Delete all of the original objects.

You are left with the New Frame with the Cube Assembly as a Child of the New Frame.

Creating a Grandparent Frame would work the same way.

DG