WnSoft Forums

Video Editor which claims to use PTE video codec

Much to my surprise, VideoPad Video Editor gives an option to save .avi files as Picture to Exe Video Codec ! (I was exporting HD video from VideoPad Video Editor using different containers and codecs).

This is the path:VideoPad Video Editor/Save Movie/Preset- HD movie/File Format.avi/Encoder options/Video Compressor/Picture to Exe Video Codec

Of course I had to try this !

I dropped it straight into PTE, mixed it with still images, and saved it as an .exe file.

It works brilliantly, plays HD video and its associated soundtrack with no problem.

Does Igor know that VideoPad Video Editor is using Picture to Exe Video Codec ?

Much to my surprise, VideoPad Video Editor gives an option to save .avi files as Picture to Exe Video Codec ! (I was exporting HD video from VideoPad Video Editor using different containers and codecs).

This is the path:VideoPad Video Editor/Save Movie/Preset- HD movie/File Format.avi/Encoder options/Video Compressor/Picture to Exe Video Codec

Of course I had to try this !

I dropped it straight into PTE, mixed it with still images, and saved it as an .exe file.

It works brilliantly, plays HD video and its associated soundtrack with no problem.

Does Igor know that VideoPad Video Editor is using Picture to Exe Video Codec ?

Robert - its probably simply using the various codecs that you already have installed on your system.

Yes - its in the list of encoder options, and will probably be in the options of everyone who has PTE installed. The thing to do would be to install VideoPad on a computer that has never had PTE on it and check if the option appears then.

Yes - its in the list of encoder options ...

This is not surprising! PTE installs a codec which appears in the system's list of video codecs as "PictureToExe Video Codec". What is this codec good for? In my understanding, it can be used by applications to read (decode) virtual AVI videos that have been generated with PTE (and which only exist as long as the generating PTE application remains open). It sounds surprising that this codec should do anything useful in other situations. I have made a test with VirtualDub. I could recode a video using the PictureToExe Video Codec, but in the result, the video part was empty.

Regards,

Xaver

Robert,

PicturesToExe installs a special video codec in Windows which also available for other programs (we can't make it visible only for PicturesToExe).

We this video codec PicturesToExe produces virtual AVI video file which doesn't contain video stream (only audio stream). This AVI file just a link between PicturesToExe and player/video editor to transfer uncompressed video frames as is.

Other video editors can create AVI file using this codec, but file will be useless and is not suitable for playback.

Thank you, Igor. This explains why PTE Video Compressor appears in VideoPad Video Editor/ Encoder options/Video Compressor.

I have resampled as Encoder options/Video Compressor/MPEG4 Native. This plays well in PTE, and also when Published as .exe.

As you have indicated, H264 native does not work well with PTE and should be avoided. This advice applies to VideoPad Video Editor/ Encoder options/Video Compressor.

MPEG4 Native seems to be the best compression codec for HD video in PTE.