WnSoft Forums

Video-settings for Nikon D7000 for PTE

goddi

Greetings,

I am wondering what the difference would be in a couple of the fps movie setting for a Nikon D7000 when it is dropped into PTE.

The two top settings are:

1- 1920x1080; 24 fps

2- 1280x720 30 fps

The only thing I have read is that 24 fps is more of a 'movie' look and 30 fps is more of a 'TV' look. Not sure what that means but I am more concerned about the usability and final look when in PTE. Can someone shed some light on making these choices between frame rates for video used in PTE?

Thanks.

Hi Gary,

Personally I think that difference between 24p and 30p is tiny. TV look mainly has been reached by using of 60i (60 frames per second packed to 30 frames).

30p video is more preferable because it's multiples of 60 Hz - a typical refresh rate of computer displays. Created video show will look good on PC, Mac and on television.

24p video looks good on computer displays with refresh rate at 72 Hz.

25p video looks good on computer displays with refresh rate at 75 Hz and 100 Hz.

30p video looks good on computer displays with refresh rate at 60 Hz and 120 Hz.

Hi Gary,

Personally I think that difference between 24p and 30p is tiny. TV look mainly has been reached by using of 60i (60 frames per second packed to 30 frames).

30p video is more preferable because it's multiples of 60 Hz - a typical refresh rate of computer displays. Created video show will look good on PC, Mac and on television.

24p video looks good on computer displays with refresh rate at 72 Hz.

25p video looks good on computer displays with refresh rate at 75 Hz and 100 Hz.

30p video looks good on computer displays with refresh rate at 60 Hz and 120 Hz.

=============================

Greetings,

Just a couple more questions for clarification, since I am pretty much in the dark about using video.

Will the different effect (though tiny) of using a different frame rate show up the same in the final product whether it is an exe or mp4 or DVD slideshow?

After taking a video, can it be changed from a 24p to a 30p, or visa versa (before insertion into PTE)?

Thanks, Gary

It's my favourite subject. Conversion from 24p/25p to 30p leads to a bad result. It does not matter when you perform this conversion (in real time or in the video editor). Pans and any animation will not be smooth. The only way to get the best result is to keep the original frame rate and show video clips on a display with same frame rate (or doubled/tripled).

For this reason even being in European region (PAL) with 25p/50i/50p I always record my video at 30p. Because any recent TVs can show videos in all standards. 60p is always supported. And majority of computer displays work at 60p. Even if I use 75 Hz, I can easily switch to 60 Hz. If you have 24p or 25p video you need to set 72Hz, 50 Hz or 100Hz. Only rare computer displays can use these screen modes.

You can easily perform a simple test. PicturesToExe allows outputs video in HD format with any frame rate 24p, 25p, 30p. Create a test sequence with Pan effects for images and export 3 video files with different frame rates. Now compare results.