WnSoft Forums

LOFOTEN

Lakelandlass

The Lofoten Islands, an archipelago lying off the north-west coast of Norway, within the Arctic Circle, beloved of both photographers and artists for the quality of its light. The landscape is very dramatic with steep, rocky mountains rising straight from the ocean floor and with beautiful sandy beaches. A major feature of the villages is the wooden, usually red rorbuer, often on stilts, built originally to house the many fisherman who flocked to these islands during the cod fishing season, but now primarily used for holiday accommodation.

Tourism and fishing are its lifeblood with the main fishing season between January and April when the cod make their way down from the Barents Sea to spawn. Everywhere on the islands there are racks, some flat, others of a triangular shape, which for the first few months of the year are covered in codfish hanging to dry in the salty sea air to make stockfisch. The majority of this fish is then exported, mainly to Italy.

With grateful thanks to Bill, as usual, for hosting on www.beechbrook.com/pte

A breathtakingly beautiful place magnificently captured by your excellent photography, Maureen! The music was perfect. I will watch this show again many times and wish that someday I might travel there. It reminds me somewhat of both Newfoundland (which has much smaller mountains) and parts of Alaska. Thanks for sharing!

Maureen

An absolutely supurb presentation of a mystical area of the World. Many years ago my wife visited Norway and has been very reluctant to return incase her memories are shattered by change. But it is now on the list and we intent to visit onca we get Malasia, Perth and South Africa sorted.So little time so many places so little funds. As Frank Sinatra sang That's Life.

Once again wonderful work.

Regards

Paul

Yet another masterclass in landscape photography and what a stunning location. The vibrancy and crispness of your photography is first class and as you say the quality of light just adds to this. Music is very appropriate and sets the mood very well but the slides do not quite gel with the pace of the music (or is that just me). Maureen, you give us all something to aspire to.

Congratulations on another wonderful presentation Maureen. You can be quite proud of your photography while there. It certainly shows in the presentations you allow us all to enjoy. Such great depth of field, sharpness and composition in your images. Wonderful color and light. You continue to inspire and amaze me. Thank you for sharing once again.

Bill

Congratulations on another wonderful presentation Maureen. You can be quite proud of your photography while there. It certainly shows in the presentations you allow us all to enjoy. Such great depth of field, sharpness and composition in your images. Wonderful color and light. You continue to inspire and amaze me. Thank you for sharing once again.

Bill

Bill and Mick

Thank you both for your very generous comments. So pleased you enjoyed viewing.

Maureen

Maureen

Great show with wonderful pictures and music. My only "small" critic is that I would have liked some of the images longer on the screen to observe them better.

Thanks for showing this nice part of the world.

Bert

The Lofoten Islands, an archipelago lying off the north-west coast of Norway, within the Arctic Circle, beloved of both photographers and artists for the quality of its light. The landscape is very dramatic with steep, rocky mountains rising straight from the ocean floor and with beautiful sandy beaches. A major feature of the villages is the wooden, usually red rorbuer, often on stilts, built originally to house the many fisherman who flocked to these islands during the cod fishing season, but now primarily used for holiday accommodation.

================================

Maureen,

After viewing your excellent slide show, I happened to take a look at a 'Wildlife Safari' TV show (public broadcast) that I recorded a couple weeks ago. I didn't now what was on it. First it showed Nepal; then Namibia; then, guess what? Lofoten...but in snow. Quite a contrast! I wouldn't have known where it was without having seen your show, because all they said was 'Lofoten'. I wouldn't have know it was in Norway.

Small world.

Gary

John, Bert and Gary - grateful thanks for your comments. Pleased you enjoyed it.

Gary - I, too, had never heard of Lofoten until I turned on the TV one night a number of years ago and there it was, Lofoten, cloacked in snow and looking stunning. Maybe the same programme.

Maureen