WnSoft Forums

Subtitles spanning multiple slides

robcad64

Dear All,

I am trying to include some text comment that applies to multiple slides in a show but I cannot find a way to do this.

I would like to have the text appear on the first slide and running at the bottom of the screen then continue for several slides then ends after say 10 images have been displayed on the screen.

Is this possible with PTE 6.5 Deluxe version (the one I own currently)?

Many thanks for your "enlightment" :)

Kindest regards to all.

Rob

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Rob

I'm assuming it's the same text you want to add to a number of slides? Click the text box at the top of the screen showing your first slide. Add the text then open the slide in the O&A screen. The text should appear on the slide, click the text, which will the be selected with a bounding box around it. Right click the box, and click copy. Go to your next slide, open it in the O&A screen, right click & paste. Repeat for the slides you want the text on. BTW I should have said if you want the text to appear in a certain position you can use the project options button at the bottom of the screen, click comments & choose as many of the options it offers such as font, size bold & position. Do this first or your text may disappear if done after the above. You can also drag the text bounding box to whatever size or position you want.

Yachtsman1

Rob,

As you have not replied I can't be sure if your question has been understood properly. You state - "I would like to have the text appear on the first slide and running at the bottom of the screen then continue for several slides then ends after say 10 images have been displayed on the screen."

My interpretation of this is that you would like a continuous line of text to start on slide one overflow to slide two ......... ten. My reading of the above replies is for the same text to be repeated on each slide. If this is what you want then you have your answer.

If not then there is no easy way of doing it but it can be done.

You would have to use the Objects and Animation (O&A) facility. What I would do would be to load my ten images one on top of the other in one slide location and in O&A fade each image in on top of each other using keypoints and the Opacity faclity on the Animation tab of O&A. Once you have that set up type in your text as a text object and apply key points at the star and end of the slide timeline.

I don't know if that is clear enough for you as I don't know how experienced you are with O&A but I hope it helps. This method would also allow you to pause the text over certain slides should you need to do that. It's a chicken and egg situation as to whether you set up the text or the images first. As I write this I suspect it may be best to start with the text, a clear head a pencil and paper to keep a note of the time points and a large cup of coffee (not alcohol).

Good luck,

John

Hi Everyone, first of all let me say this forum is very friendly and full of valuable information the people here are very helpful to each other and it is not to be take for granted given what I see in other forums.

So thanks to all for your suggestions.

I am not extremely skilled with PTE, to tell you the truth I have somewhat a love hate relationship with it.

What I want to do is very easy with a multitrack video editor. Basically, I have a text which is quite long and to be read by the viewer comfortably the animation cannot be very fast. I was thinking of making the text roll at the bottom of the screen so as to not interfere with the image too much. This text should appear on slide 3 or 4, roll continuously for about 1 min and about 15 slides and then end. I have done something similar but only on a single slide like you can see here (sorry it's in italian only)

http://www.robertocadeddu.com/riflessioni/fotoinverso/maschere_della_natura/video/mascherenaturavideo.html

@ Jean-Cyprien

what you showed is exactly what I want to do but probably it should be simpler for me as I only deal with text and the animation is quite simple: enter in on the bottom right and exit on the bottom left of the screen, I admit though that I do not quite understand how you managed yours can you elaborate?

@ Jeb

you've got it! the second option is what I am looking for. Again I am not sure I understand your suggestion.

Maybe it's me but this should be a simple thing to do in any Video\Picture slideshow composer.

Sorry for my 'thickness' :blink:

I am thinking of breaking-up the text in parts and copy in each slide and make it appear and disappear according to key points. It sounds very time consuming to achieve the bottom rolling text across many slides. This is a feature that should be available in PTE. I mean, animations in a video should not be limited within the single slide. I see where this is coming from in PTE history of development but it is one of those shortcomings that feeds my love-hate relationship with this otherwise wonderful program.

Thanks to all.

rob

Here is a example with text. As I said, it's not fast nor very simple, but not really too complicated.

First you make a view (N°7) with your text, here of 30.000ms, and copy it (if needed, in a frame as in my first exemple)

Then, you paste it in every other views (1 2 3 4 5 6)

For each view, you modify the time of the first and last keypoint, to have

0 and 30.000 for the view 1 of 5.000ms of duration

-5.000 and 25.000 ms for the view 2, because the view 1 is of 5.000 ms. The view 2 is of 7.000ms of duration

-12.000 and 18.000 (total duration always 30.000 ms) because view 1 plus 2 durations are of 12.000 ms The view 3 is of 3.000ms of duration.

-15.000 and 15.000 (-15.000 because view's 1 2 3 total duration is 15.000ms)

etc.

Of course, the view N°7 is to delate

TextUponSeveralViews.pt.zip

"What I want to do is very easy with a multitrack video editor."

I hear you. I did a very complicated show in just such an editor because PTE is not a multitrack editor [ME]. Not that I am objecting - the ME would be the wrong place to do any slide animation, and has no auto-sharpening or other goodies that PTE does. No matter how much I like PTE or the ME, I need both.

OTOH, cut and paste really is a simple answer to this particular question. You could do it in the time it takes to read the thread.