WnSoft Forums

Zipped PC Executable File

Since we already create a zipped MacIntosh format as an option, and since almost everyone who uses PTE zips their executable files to send them to Beechbrook or to put them on their own website with a link, why not include both the EXE version "and" a zipped version containing the PC version of the EXE file as an option? It would greatly facilitate and save a lot of time.

Lin

Why? I already have a better zip program (PK zip). Having to use another program external to PTE defeats the convenience of being able to create a zipped version of the exe and the exe version with one mouse click....

Best regards,

Lin

What about installing 7-Zip and making two additional mouse clicks?!?

Regards,

Xaver

That's a problem with some overzealous email servers, but not with links, at least not in my experience. I rarely, if ever, send any of my shows via email but simply upload them to my site as zipped exe files and so far, at least, no one has had problems downloading them that way. There are numerous other advantages to zipped files such as security encryption with password, etc.

Best regards,

Lin

http://www.pcworld.c...escription.html

the perils of sending a zipped exe

GOOGLE MAIL PROBLEM i had been trying to send Tom a zip and it would continuously bounceon his recommendationRENAMED EXE TO MDB AND THEN ZIPPED THE FILE and away it went k

ken

I never send a URL as an attachment, just embed it in the body of the email as a link. If hotmail won't send an email with an embedded link, it's worthless in my opinion. I never use hotmail myself, but have had no problems with gmail or any of my normal email hosts. Too much "paternalism" with hosts today - they are becoming like Microsoft and Apple - they want to do everything for you and protect you from yourself !! LOL.

Best regards,

Lin

LIN

hotmail wont send attached urls

but will send a line of text for an ur

but warnings at receiving end (

ken

Since we already create a zipped MacIntosh format as an option, and since almost everyone who uses PTE zips their executable files to send them to Beechbrook or to put them on their own website with a link, why not include both the EXE version "and" a zipped version containing the PC version of the EXE file as an option? It would greatly facilitate and save a lot of time.

Lin

This is an excelent proposal and I am much in favor of it.

Bert

Windows Zip is a "third party" zip. Zip was "co-invented" by the late Phil Katz, an outgrowth and vast improvement on ARC developed by Thom Henderson. The developer of PK Zip (Phil Katz Zip) improved and refined the process and produced what I think is by far the finest implementation of this. "Windows Zip" is a rather crude implementation and isn't available with all Windows operating systems.

Best regards,

Lin

7-ZIP??

PK ZIP??

What's the matter with the Windows Zip?

Not arguing with the proposal just the use of third party ZIP software?

DG

DAVE

LIKELY R MOUSE FEATURES AND FLEXIBILITY

one of the first things i installed on win 7 system was 7-zip - once you get used to using these little tools one cant live without them -- they make life so much more efficient -- efficiency is a buzz word i learned at "charm school" -- never tell the workers you are making the job easier !!

ken B)

Hi David,

Whether or not you got a zip utility with your version of Windows depends largely on the OEM who built your system and their licensing agreement with Microsoft. or whether you bought the OS software directly from Microsoft, and which of the numerous "versions" you bought (home, professional, etc., etc.). There are numerous Window users who didn't get one of the zip utilities. I ran into this on a regular basis when I installed networks and large archive tape libraries for clients.

The difference between PKzip ( and other "good" utilities such as 7zip) and the rather cumbersome zip utility provided by Microsoft is like night and day. The ability to read various zip type formats (there are dozens if not scores of different formats) is highly constrained with the build-in Windows version. The ability to include or exclude file types and various other useful features which are needed for corporate and government security purposes are missing from the skeleton version included with Windows.

For purposes of simply zipping or unzipping a few files into an archive, the Windows version is fine. But if you have the need for versatility, it's just not there. If you must be certain that you can read from and write to the various and sundry forms of data compression which may be encountered, you certainly can't depend on the version supplied by Microsoft. If the version of zip included with Windows was sufficient, the numerous other vendors would be out of business. Rarely will you find major corporations depending on the "included" (or not) zip utility provided with many systems.There simply is not sufficient security.

You might want to read some of the PKWare client reports here:

http://www.pkware.co...success-stories

I've used PK Zip since I first met and discussed compression with the founder, Phil Katz, back in the late 80's when he was working on PKARC. At that time we could create an executable zip format which made it possible to send zipped (ARC) files to customers and they didn't need to have the software to unzip them. They just needed that password.

Personally, I won't use anything else...

Best regards,

Lin

im missing something here.

ive got xp vista and w7. its in all and always has been.

but why/how is pk zip better?

w zip never has failed me.

no probs.

dg

Hi David,

Whether or not you got a zip utility with your version of Windows depends largely on the OEM who built your system and their licensing agreement with Microsoft. or whether you bought the OS software directly from Microsoft, and which of the numerous "versions" you bought (home, professional, etc., etc.). There are numerous Window users who didn't get one of the zip utilities. I ran into this on a regular basis when I installed networks and large archive tape libraries for clients.

The difference between PKzip ( and other "good" utilities such as 7zip) and the rather cumbersome zip utility provided by Microsoft is like night and day. The ability to read various zip type formats (there are dozens if not scores of different formats) is highly constrained with the build-in Windows version. The ability to include or exclude file types and various other useful features which are needed for corporate and government security purposes are missing from the skeleton version included with Windows.

For purposes of simply zipping or unzipping a few files into an archive, the Windows version is fine. But if you have the need for versatility, it's just not there. If you must be certain that you can read from and write to the various and sundry forms of data compression which may be encountered, you certainly can't depend on the version supplied by Microsoft. If the version of zip included with Windows was sufficient, the numerous other vendors would be out of business. Rarely will you find major corporations depending on the "included" (or not) zip utility provided with many systems.There simply is not sufficient security.

You might want to read some of the PKWare client reports here:

http://www.pkware.com/resources/customer-success-stories

I've use PK Zip since I first met and discussed compression with the founder, Phil Katz, back in the late 80's when he was working on PKARC. At that time we could create an executable zip format which made it possible to send zipped (ARC) files to customers and they didn't need to have the software to unzip them. They just needed that password.

Personally, I won't use anything else...

Best regards,

Lin

Yes, I second that. PKzip is way in front. It also handles the increasing use of .rar and other compression formats.

Personally, I use a program called PowerDesk, a superset of Windows Explorer, which has PKzip built-in among other goodies. Recommended.

Regards,

Colin

Ken,

Right click - New Compressed ZIP Folder.

Drag file(s) into folder.

That's inefficient?

Lin,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't necessarily subscribe to it and haven't had the experiences that you have had over the last twenty years or so when I was working at the Uni. Since late nineties this was all made MUCH easier when Windows began to arrive with the ZIP Utility. I must have been lucky because I have never had a Windows installation without their Zip Utility.

Just downloaded your WOLFSTORM ZIP - windows Zip handled it in the same easy way that it handles Zipping up. I'm just going to enjoy watching it now.

Personally, I don't need anything else.

Best wishes,

DG

Dave

I never knew that - thanks for enlightening me

when i had windows 3.5, the young lad at the shop gave me a free version of winzip and showed me how to drag files into it and have stumbled along since then -- i know from talking with "HAWK" that he had the Ms version but i was happy with what i was using and never looked into the MS version - i have tried other freebies along the way

ken

Hi David,

The only way you will probably appreciate the difference is to download a trial copy of PKZip and explore the myriad possibilities which are way too numerous to even attempt to explain.

Your original question was "why" use a "third party" zip utility when Windows has one of its own. If you have Windows with a zip feature and all you do is zip and unzip a few files located in a single folder or adjacent folders on a single drive, then there is no good reason to change or use anything else. On the other hand, if you need data encryption security, have anything other than very "simple" zip requirements there are multiple reasons why the Windows supplied zip utility is decidedly insufficient.

PK Zip is a full featured "program" like PicturesToExe. You have countless options and controls over what, how, when and where zip actions are to be performed. There are six major categories of Compression, Extraction, Security, Mail, View and Miscellaneous and within these categories literally hundreds of options.

We have drifted far from the original suggestion to include a zipped executable as an option within PTE, but the bottom line is that some need the sophistication of programs like PKZip while others may be perfectly well served by the utility provided to most Windows and Apple users.

The differences between PKZip and the included Windows zip utility are rather like the differences between the slideshow capabilities of say IrfanView or Fastone and PTE. Can you make a slideshow with Irfanview including an executable slideshow? Yes. Does it serve as a functional tool for those who wish to make slideshow presentations? In some cases the answer is yes. In other cases the answer is decidedly no. Let me ask you this: Would you trade the slideshow capabilities of Irfanview for those of PTE? My guess is that you would not. For people who have sophisticated zip requirements the situation is quite similar. One situation is an OS which has a feature which lets one zip or unzip a file(s) or folder of files. The other situation is a full featured software program dedicated to all the nuances required by corporations, government agencies and users with more complex needs.

Best regards,

Lin

Ken,

Right click - New Compressed ZIP Folder.

Drag file(s) into folder.

That's inefficient?

Lin,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I don't necessarily subscribe to it and haven't had the experiences that you have had over the last twenty years or so when I was working at the Uni. Since late nineties this was all made MUCH easier when Windows began to arrive with the ZIP Utility. I must have been lucky because I have never had a Windows installation without their Zip Utility.

Just downloaded your WOLFSTORM ZIP - windows Zip handled it in the same easy way that it handles Zipping up. I'm just going to enjoy watching it now.

Personally, I don't need anything else.

Best wishes,

DG