WnSoft Forums

POSTING SHOWS

Ken Cox

Ken

your website conforms to standard settings so why not your shows

I don't understand what you mean, sorry.

I am sorry for my views, but the number of images, the length of the show, the format is all irrelavent to the viewer. I can understand those who may want details of location.

Just download the slide show and if its too big don't hit the download button. If you don't like it once its downloaded hit the escape key.

One member won't download a show if is isn't this, one won't download if it isn't that, sorry guys, but from where I sit some of you sound crackers.

Greetings,

It is very strange how a simple suggestion can get so off track. Ken brought up the point of providing information about our posted shows. Then, Bill (Beechbrook) reminded us that there is room in his Author's Notes section. Davegee suggested that resolution, aspect ratio are essential; running time is important. Ken then appreciated the suggestions so far and encouraged more suggestions. Then the discussion went south.

I dared to try to get it back on track by suggesting sort of a compromise. Why not just include a list of basic information in the Author's Notes (only if Bill agreed) for those who might want to provide such information? It would not be a requirement to complete, only a suggestion, and could be ignored and even deleted.

But that does not seem to have set well with most posters. It seems that those who would not want to post such information would rather that others, who might find it useful, should not even post it. Just to make my suggestion more clear, I have made a gif of what I was thinking.

I still don't think it is a bad idea and I am just posting this to make it as clear as I can before I stick my head back down. :ph34r:

Gary

post-1794-0-43006900-1332168656_thumb.gi

Guest Yachtsman1

hi Gary

I think you are flogging a dead horse. This topic has been running on & off for at least 2 years. Some will some won't, god only knows why, it's not a state secret, just good manners IMO.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1. ;)

• 7 months later...

Oct. 22 2012

I'm about to post a listing for a show and have just read most of the posts on this topic. It has become a fun topic in my opinion. I'm favoring both sides. I should be in politics.

On the one hand I like info from time to time, but on the other, I don't go to the movies and want to know what camera, paints, brushes, how many hairs on the brush, etc. that

Steven Spielberg used to make a film. How's that...I just put my little shows right up there with Spielberg. And that is what I think a lot of people like to think when

they create a show. After all, until they made the show, it didn't exist. Creativity is what makes us tic. But I will post a bit of info...maybe create a readme file with

general info. I just assumed the show would play on everyone's monitor at optimum resolution so why tell them all about it. If my show is widescreen and their monitor isn't

will it help to know my show was 1920x1080. I usually post that info anyway, but I am not sure why I do it. I guess if someone is new to PTE it might help them keep from

trying to fix their screen? For me I like to create a show that moves me...and hopefully a few others...get the emotions going a bit. I once made the big mistake of asking

a man in a bicycle race what kind of bike he road. He just glared at me and said "It isn't the bike". I was a bit offended as I really just wanted a reliable recommendation

for a good bicycle. Anyway, if many think it is a good idea to post info on camera, lens, pic number,show length...that is one I don't want to post as I tend to get a bit long...like this note...

You tell someone the movie is 3 hours long and they might not go. But if you ever saw a great movie, the length doesn't matter. How often has a movie ended and you were sorry

it ended. Alrighty then...this saga must end. As I read over it I realize I really should have considered politics...ramble and don't commit. But it is a fun topic.

Jeff Lunt

Oct. 22 2012

...Anyway, if many think it is a good idea to post info on camera, lens, pic number,show length...

Jeff Lunt

===================================

Jeff,

As I mentioned in my email to you, I thought your PTE show was terrific.

I was disappointed that you did not provide any information about the show. I am glad you are looking into it. This subject of how much info to provide has been tossed about before in this Forum. I made up a template that I pull up each time I post a show so I don't forget something. Everyone has their own way of doing it but here is my list:

Year:

Aspect ratio:

Screen resolution:

Videos:

Size of file:

Run time:

Manual control (yes/no):

Camera and lens:

Any other info that you can provide:

Comments and critiques are welcomed.

Gary

===================================

Jeff,

As I mentioned in my email to you, I thought your PTE show was terrific.

I was disappointed that you did not provide any information about the show. I am glad you are looking into it. This subject of how much info to provide has been tossed about before in this Forum. I made up a template that I pull up each time I post a show so I don't forget something. Everyone has their own way of doing it but here is my list:

Year:

Aspect ratio:

Screen resolution:

Videos:

Size of file:

Run time:

Manual control (yes/no):

Camera and lens:

Any other info that you can provide:

Comments and critiques are welcomed.

Gary

Doesn't this list, especially the Camera and Lens info, assume that the sequence was shot with the same lens and camera combination on the same day. I can't think of many of my slide shows where I have done that, so the images will come from at least two different SLR's and maybe a compact or two, plus a number of different lenses. In that case what information should be posted? :huh:

To be of any use, would a viewer need to know what the technical details were for each image, especially for those who like to pause the slide show at every image to inspect them. Or would a broader brush approach be acceptable? (i.e) what was used most? The one fly in the ointment, with a broad brush approach, can be one image that a viewer likes which is listed as being taken with a Canox 15B with a 28-135 lens, when in fact it was taken with Niknok 18A with an 80-200 lens. :huh:

Year: Is this information the year the slide show was made, or when the images were taken.

I think you will find that Mr Average will consider much of this information irrelavent and that is why most don't bother. They won't feel comfortable enough to say so in an open thread, as I am here, because they don't want to be attacked by the lunitic fringe. Seeing as I can't seem to say three words without stirring up a hornets nest, I feel free to say it as I see it. :lol:

Doesn't this list, especially the Camera and Lens info, assume that the sequence was shot with the same lens and camera combination on the same day. I can't think of many of my slide shows where I have done that, so the images will come from at least two different SLR's and maybe a compact or two, plus a number of different lenses. In that case what information should be posted? :huh:

To be of any use, would a viewer need to know what the technical details were for each image, especially for those who like to pause the slide show at every image to inspect them. Or would a broader brush approach be acceptable? (i.e) what was used most? The one fly in the ointment, with a broad brush approach, can be one image that a viewer likes which is listed as being taken with a Canox 15B with a 28-135 lens, when in fact it was taken with Niknok 18A with an 80-200 lens. :huh:

Year: Is this information the year the slide show was made, or when the images were taken.

I think you will find that Mr Average will consider much of this information irrelavent and that is why most don't bother. They won't feel comfortable enough to say so in an open thread, as I am here, because they don't want to be attacked by the lunitic fringe. Seeing as I can't seem to say three words without stirring up a hornets nest, I feel free to say it as I see it. :lol:

===================

Greetings,

Gee whiz....let's use a little imagination. This list that I posted is not cast in concrete. Of course, if you used more cameras and want to list them, feel free to expand or contract the list. If you want to say what year the images were taken or when the show was made, modify the text. These items are only a reminder of things that I might want to include. The point is to put in whatever you want, when you want. To prejudge that the information will be irrelevant will not encourage anyone to post anything. I think posting at least some information will open a door for the viewers to ask more questions if it piqued his/her curiosity.

No attack, just an opinion. :)

Gary

===================

Greetings,

Gee whiz....let's use a little imagination. This list that I posted is not cast in concrete. Of course, if you used more cameras and want to list them, feel free to expand or contract the list. If you want to say what year the images were taken or when the show was made, modify the text. These items are only a reminder of things that I might want to include. The point is to put in whatever you want, when you want. To prejudge that the information will be irrelevant will not encourage anyone to post anything. I think posting at least some information will open a door for the viewers to ask more questions if it piqued his/her curiosity.

No attack, just an opinion. :)

Gary

Fair enough, but some might end up spending more time gathering the information than they do with the sequence :lol:

I think a bit of info is fine. My shows lately have a bit of dialogue as in the Silent Movie type. I don't do narration often and prefer keeping the music uninterrupted.

Some of the location data is within the show. I agree, it gets to be a bit much and I suspect the pixel peepers might not give the show a chance if they see specs

that aren't the latest and greatest. I have some old shows shot with my trusty Canon G2 from 2001. The images are still satisfactory for a 1920x1080 HD show. And I will prove it...

I will post a show from 2003 shot entirely with the G2. OK...it really isn't a big deal...but I like to think I am moving the earth with my patter.

I will post the show on Beechbrook Cottage. I posted it years ago, but in the old days I only left things up for 30 days as I thought that was long enough and

Bill was doing me a favor posting anything of mine.

Let me get it up...opps...not too gracious there...let me post it right now.

I like humor...don't thrash me for the colorful remarks.

Jeff Lunt