WnSoft Forums

All the Fun of the Fair

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

This show is my first effort at adding video. It is also the first workout with the Panasonic FZ150. It is Bank Holiday weekend in the UK, so there were lots of subjects to flex the FZ150's muscles on. I chose the local fairground, which although the temperature was below 10c was in full swing. I had set the camera to most of the settings in the Graham Houghton series of tutorials on You Tube. So basically, I was using a combination of "Intelligent Auto" & "P" programme modes. I had reduced the video quality from AVCHD Progressive to MP4 to lower the file sizes, without too much reduction in quality. When I used the PTE converter, it further reduced the file size by 30%. None of the 3 clips was over 15 seconds but it has resulted in an exe of 86MB. All shots were hand held, with image stabilisation switched on. I also set the picture mode to "Vivid", which has resulted in quite strong colours considering the light available. While putting the show together, I thought using video could well inhibit the creative (animation etc) side of PTE, which would be a shame. However, probably those good at animation may be less inclined to use video. To finish on the camera side of this prece, I found the camera fairly easy to use, didn't cause members of the public to reel back in horror as the D90 sometimes does when being photographed. One of the features I tried was the burst shot where you can set a high speed burst I think up to 12 shots. I'm not sure how this would fit into PTE, I tried various transitions between the frames starting with none quick, the slide & push effects, then went back to quick no transition. There are a couple of these included which is why the number of slides is high compared to the run time. Three niggles with the camera, seems heavy on battery drain, the lens cap is an aberration to fit & remove, and using the normal viewfinder wearing glasses is not comfortable, there doesn't seem to be a rubber eyecup available, I may have to resort to making my own. Finally, anyone want to buy a D90, looks like mine is redundant, one owner never raced or rallied. BTW neither the MP4 or the PTE video could be uploaded to Flickr, does anyone know if it's a format problem, it isn't size as the limit is 500mb.

Mechanics

Mediafire download 86MB, run time 4.5 mins, 70 slides, 16-9 aspect, 1920 x 1080 slide size including the video clips. 3 video clips, 2 burst clips, 2 music tracks, 1 sound effect track, & two sound tracks from the video clips.

Comments welcome.

Yachtsman1.

link removed by author, PM me if you want the link.

ERIC

better hang on to the D90 a while

this show tho color and sound [popcorn by crazy frog] were right on the so called video in the opening, imho was too jerky for my 1 gb graphic card - i reran the show and it was still too jerky

not up to your standards

ken

Hi Eric,

In my view a perfect example of how video and stills do not mix. The only apparent reason for putting in the video was - that you can. Although the funfare was not that busy I'm afraid the sense of fun just did not come across. I'm sure you could rejig it and get your very good photography to sync better with the music (which I enjoyed).

Guest Yachtsman1

ERIC

better hang on to the D90 a while

this show tho color and sound [popcorn by crazy frog] were right on the so called video in the opening, imho was too jerky for my 1 gb graphic card - i reran the show and it was still too jerky

not up to your standards

ken

Hi Ken

Remember, this show is made on & for my equipment not yours, runs as I would expect on my gear. Are you talking about the kids ride with the helicopters? If so there is a hand held zoom on there that is not steady for obvious reasons but runs smoothly on my hardwear. Maybe this is how its going to be with video???

Regards Eric.

Yachtsman1.

PS just told yhe wife what you said, she said maybe specsavers or PC world can help. :P

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

In my view a perfect example of how video and stills do not mix. The only apparent reason for putting in the video was - that you can. Although the funfare was not that busy I'm afraid the sense of fun just did not come across. I'm sure you could rejig it and get your very good photography to sync better with the music (which I enjoyed).

Mick

Did you read what I said? This is a first attempt with a new camera new medium with pictures taken & put together as a

trial in less than 12 hours, it's not my ARPS entry.

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

For the benefit of those who have not read the preamble in the first post, the salient points to take into account when critiquing this show are as follows.

1 The show is a trial for the camera & use of video.

2 There are 3 un-edited video clips, no fades in or out. A) helicopters, Be) Swing boat. C) Crane grabbing toys.

3 There are 3 what Panasonic call screen bursts, 12 separate pictures in a sequence timed at .75 seconds per shot, there just to see the effect, (It's not supposed to be video.) The bursts are A) the yellow cars with the swing boat in the background, Be) the yellow cars alone. (Again it's not supposed to be video.)

3 Finally, if your machine shows the videos running jerkily, your hardware is not up to the same spec as mine, they run smoothly on there.

Yachtsman1. ;)

Guest Yachtsman1

Update, just checked the show on my similar specced LT, runs same as the desk top. Tried it on my neighbours XP 512mb Ram machine, runs rubbish. So Ken you need to find a Shepherd & buy some rams if you want HQ video. :P

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS D90 still for sale.

Eric

you are like a bulldog with a bone -- it took us years to convince you to go WS but no you just growled at us -- you had a thousand excuses not to change -- now you got it you cant do without it

i have 1 gigabyte on my graphics card and a ton on the mob

i got your latest to smooth out a bit by changing it's compatibility mode to run xp sp3 mode - not perfect but

i will post my specs in case you want to update B)

ken

specs as of reight now

Computer Profile SummaryComputer Name: KEN-3 (in WORKGROUP) — KEN-3Profile Date: Sunday, May 06, 2012 12:23:10 PMAdvisor Version: 8.2gWindows Logon: KenPlan for your next computer refresh...

click for Belarc's System Management products Operating System new – server rolesSystem ModelWindows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Install Language: English (United States)

System Locale: English (United States)

Installed: 4/6/2011 11:36:38 PMEnclosure Type: DesktopProcessor aMain Circuit Board b3.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

No memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (6 total)

Not hyper-threadedBoard: 990FXA-GD65 (MS-7640) 3.0

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V19.7 04/06/2012new USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details)new Hosted Virtual Machines (mouse over name for details)Last UsedTOSHIBA MK7559GSXP -- drive 7, s/n 70B07EBFFFFF5/6/2012 1:22:46 AMGeneric USB MS Reader -- drive 6, s/n 920321111113, rev 1.035/6/2012 1:22:37 AMGeneric USB SM Reader -- drive 5, s/n 920321111113, rev 1.025/6/2012 1:22:37 AMGeneric USB CF Reader -- drive 4, s/n 920321111113, rev 1.015/6/2012 1:22:36 AMGeneric USB SD Reader -- drive 3, s/n 920321111113, rev 1.005/6/2012 1:22:36 AMWDC WD50 00AAKS-00V1A0, s/n DAF1254183FF4/28/2012 9:40:44 PM*SAMSUNG HD103SI, s/n 18A50216000571674/28/2012 9:40:42 PM*Verbatim STORE N GO, s/n 07AA0B07B8781FB7, rev 5.004/20/2012 8:46:10 AM*Verbatim STORE N GO, s/n 07AA0B07497A551F, rev 5.004/20/2012 8:45:06 AM*Verbatim STORE N GO, s/n 07AA0B07077518BC, rev 5.004/20/2012 8:43:54 AM*

* Possibly used again before the reboot following this time.None discoveredDrives new – drive encryptionMemory Modules c,d2910.31 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

780.75 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI iHAS224 B ATA Device [Optical drive]

ATAPI iHAS224 B ATA Device [Optical drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4

Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 6

Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3

Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5

OCZ-VERTEX2 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1, s/n OCZ-LSCMN107V4I47W20, rev 1.28, SMART Status: Healthy

TOSHIBA MK7559GSXP USB Device [Hard drive] (750.15 GB) -- drive 7, s/n 801130168383

WDC WD1002FAEX-007BA0 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAY00484007, rev 05.01D05, SMART Status: Healthy

WDC WD1002FAEX-007BA0 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 2, s/n WD-WMAUR0555428, rev 05.01D05, SMART Status: Healthy16372 Megabytes Usable Installed MemoryLocal Drive Volumes new – volume encryptionc: (NTFS on drive 1) *159.93 GB90.34 GB freed: (NTFS on drive 2)1000.20 GB449.99 GB freee: (NTFS on drive 0)1000.20 GB150.35 GB freeh: (FAT32 on drive 7)749.97 GB90.07 GB free

* Operating System is installed on c:Network DrivesNone discoveredUsers (mouse over user name for details)Printerslocal user accountslast logon Ken5/6/2012 1:22:52 AM(admin)local system accounts Administrator7/14/2009 1:08:59 AM(admin) Guest5/5/2012 1:42:43 AM

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account hp LaserJet 1300 PCL 5on 192.168.0.4_1Microsoft Shared Fax Driveron SHRFAX:Microsoft XPS Document Writeron XPSPort:ControllersDisplayATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)

ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (2x)AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series [Display adapter]

ASUS VW228 [Monitor] (21.7"vis, s/n ACLMIZ011153, December 2010)

Panasonic-TV [Monitor]Bus AdaptersMultimediaSilicon Image SiI 3132 SoftRaid 5 Controller

Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller

Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (3x)

Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (4x)AMD High Definition Audio Device

Logitech USB Headset

Realtek High Definition Audio

Webcam Pro 9000Virus Protection [Back to Top]Group PoliciesAVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012None discoveredCommunications new – connection speed & statusOther DevicesMicrosoft ISATAP Adapter↑ Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2primary IP Address: 192.168.0.3 / 24Gateway: 192.168.0.1Physical Address: 8C:89:A5:63:5E:7BConnection Speed: 100 MbpsTeredo Tunneling Pseudo-InterfaceNetworking Dns Server: 192.168.0.1HID-compliant consumer control device (2x)

HID-compliant device

USB Input Device (3x)

Logitech Webcam Pro 9000

HID Keyboard Device

Standard PS/2 Keyboard

HID-compliant mouse

Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Generic USB Hub

Logitech USB Camera (Webcam Pro 9000)

USB Composite Device (2x)

USB Mass Storage Device (2x)

USB Root Hub (7x)

Generic volume shadow copy

U:\

V:\

W:\

X:\

Guest Yachtsman1

Eric

you are like a bulldog with a bone -- it took us years to convince you to go WS but no you just growled at us -- you had a thousand excuses not to change -- now you got it you cant do without it

i have 1 gigabyte on my graphics card and a ton on the mob

i got your latest to smooth out a bit by changing it's compatibility mode to run xp sp3 mode - not perfect but

i will post my specs in case you want to update B)

ken

Ken

Don't try to bully me, you're wasting your breath. Your memory is slipping!!! I was forced down the widescreen route when my 5-4 LT showed signs of failure & I couldn't find another to my spec, only widescreen, correct??? Ain't no point having a widescreen LT & a 5-4 DT monitor??? Correct!!! So get off your horse & see sense. If the show runs correctly on my machines & not on yours, it's your problem, correct??? Flexing your computers spec at me means nothing if it isn't doing what mine does. Correct??? True, I could reduce the video quality and maybe then it would show correct on your machine, Correct??? But what is the point, if your machine can't handle it don't download any more of my shows.

Now, just because I class you as a mate, at great expense I have up-loaded zipped copies of one of the video clips, one as it came out of the camera in MP4 & one as converted by PTE. Download them & let us know the results. Your throwaway about Mick's comments I take with a pinch of salt, he's had the ump with me since I commented on his show before the one this week, water off a ducks back.

Remember the WW2 slogan, KEEP CALM & CARRY ON!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?i38u8x31g8dweim

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1 ;)BTW the show has had 18 downloads & only you 2 commented???

This show is my first effort at adding video.....

Comments welcome.

Yachtsman1.

==============================

Eric,

I see one technique that would improve the transition from your video clip to a still image or from a video clip to a following video clip. If you look at, for example, the transition from the swinging pirate boat video to the next still image, the pirate boat stops swinging at the end of the video clip, then it transitions into the still image.

If a video clip is, say, 10 seconds in duration and you insert the video clip, PTE will drop it in with a 10 second duration. This is the problem. This will cause the end of the video clip to show a 'freeze frame' at the end of the video clip and then do the transition to the still image. This is not a smooth transition.

For a smoother transition, the solution is to shorten the duration of the video clip to about 9 seconds or so, so that the video clip will continue to play as the transition to the still image comes in. It will eliminate the 'freeze frame' at the end of the video clip and show a smoother transition from the end of the video clip to the following still image, or from a video clip to a following video clip.

So it might be important to be careful where a video clip is trimmed at its end. Maybe leaving a couple seconds after the point that you really want the video clip to end so you have some leeway to work with when in PTE to be able to make the smooth transition without eliminating any important portions at the end of the video clip.

Gary

Hi Eric,

Well I did try to read your preable but my eyes glazed over before I got half way, probaly because I have not the slightest intention of wanting to purchase an FZ150 whatever that is and I doubt there are many on the forum also inclined. So when you asked for comments, I assumed you were talking about the show. I was not aware that you rushed it into prodution simply to extol the virtues or otherwise of the FZ150 but I have to be honest - it shows. My original comments are therefore valid - the video adds nothing to the show and the show just does not convey all the fun of the fair. I would like to be more constructive with suggestions that I think would improve the show but I doubt you would be interested.

ERIC

both samples smooth as silk -- neat

and btw

i sent you the original order for the cooler for your records

: pbyk@sympatico.ca

To: pbyk@sympatico.ca; ericshepherd@

Subject: TigerDirect.ca Quotation #D0986493

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 20:43:26 -0500

since then i had to replace the asus mob due to its failure with the mob and graphics card in the Belarc spec

ken.

Guest Yachtsman1

==============================

Eric,

I see one technique that would improve the transition from your video clip to a still image or from a video clip to a following video clip. If you look at, for example, the transition from the swinging pirate boat video to the next still image, the pirate boat stops swinging at the end of the video clip, then it transitions into the still image.

If a video clip is, say, 10 seconds in duration and you insert the video clip, PTE will drop it in with a 10 second duration. This is the problem. This will cause the end of the video clip to show a 'freeze frame' at the end of the video clip and then do the transition to the still image. This is not a smooth transition.

For a smoother transition, the solution is to shorten the duration of the video clip to about 9 seconds or so, so that the video clip will continue to play as the transition to the still image comes in. It will eliminate the 'freeze frame' at the end of the video clip and show a smoother transition from the end of the video clip to the following still image, or from a video clip to a following video clip.

So it might be important to be careful where a video clip is trimmed at its end. Maybe leaving a couple seconds after the point that you really want the video clip to end so you have some leeway to work with when in PTE to be able to make the smooth transition without eliminating any important portions at the end of the video clip.

Gary

Gary Gary Gary, I know all that, have you forgoten I pointed out the abrupt starts on your Bankoc show, I'll say this again, only once more, this was a trial not a presentation. We virtually ran into the park took some shots & ran out, with our 85 year old neighbour in tow suffering from hyperthermia. It's your fault anyway I've gotton into this after seeing what was possible in your show. ;)

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Editing clips will be the next hurdle.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Well I did try to read your preable but my eyes glazed over before I got half way, probaly because I have not the slightest intention of wanting to purchase an FZ150 whatever that is and I doubt there are many on the forum also inclined. So when you asked for comments, I assumed you were talking about the show. I was not aware that you rushed it into prodution simply to extol the virtues or otherwise of the FZ150 but I have to be honest - it shows. My original comments are therefore valid - the video adds nothing to the show and the show just does not convey all the fun of the fair. I would like to be more constructive with suggestions that I think would improve the show but I doubt you would be interested.

Correct. When you emerge from your present miasma, maybe.

Yachtsman1.

Gary Gary Gary, I know all that, have you forgoten I pointed out the abrupt starts on your Bankoc show, I'll say this again, only once more, this was a trial not a presentation. We virtually ran into the park took some shots & ran out, with our 85 year old neighbour in tow suffering from hyperthermia. It's your fault anyway I've gotton into this after seeing what was possible in your show. ;)

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Editing clips will be the next hurdle.

=====================================

Eric,

Yes, indeed, I could not remember who or where someone pointed out about 'abrupt' starts in one of my shows. Now I remember. But I thought the 'abrupt' starts had to do with the transition from a still image to a still image, not from a video clip to a still image (or another video clip). The technique to eliminate the 'abrupt' transition is a bit different. I think once someone starts shooting stills and video, it will be a natural desire to include both in a show. And I think it can work well...it just needs some trials and errors. I am happy to hear one of my shows encouraged you to start to dabble with the video. It really is a lot of fun.

Hope you have thawed out. :D

Gary

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Gary

One of the features of the new camera is the ability to take a still shot on the fly without interupting the video, what I tried to do in the clips you saw was to take a still before & after each clip, but I forgot in some instances. Only had the camera since Thursday PM, it's much more complex than the D90 so it will take some time to come up to speed. We are away at Salford Quays from tomorrow, hopefully we'll come back with full memory cards. The weather report though is rubbish.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Gary

One of the features of the new camera is the ability to take a still shot on the fly without interupting the video, what I tried to do in the clips you saw was to take a still before & after each clip, but I forgot in some instances. Only had the camera since Thursday PM, it's much more complex than the D90 so it will take some time to come up to speed. We are away at Salford Quays from tomorrow, hopefully we'll come back with full memory cards. The weather report though is rubbish.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

=====================

Eric,

Cameras are getting so complex that I never use many of their abilities. Taking a still while taking video could come in handy. My Nikon D7000 does not do that (l think), so I have used VideoPad to take a still image of a frame of my video clip. I took a beginning and an ending shot and put the video in the middle. Nice effect to use as a fade in and out of the video clip.

What will they think of next????

Gary

Hi Eric,

It worked well on my equipment and I must say it looks like your going to get some really great quality photo's with your new camera so I wish you well with it.

Yesterday I also took the plunge and have purchased a Canon D600, im dying to get out and about with it but am working through the manual, I understand that it takes great video's but Im looking for quality photo's more than video.

Anyway Eric, I will look forward to seeing your next sequence with your new camera and have a good time in salford quays, great area for photographers.

Ralph

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

It worked well on my equipment and I must say it looks like your going to get some really great quality photo's with your new camera so I wish you well with it.

Yesterday I also took the plunge and have purchased a Canon D600, im dying to get out and about with it but am working through the manual, I understand that it takes great video's but Im looking for quality photo's more than video.

Anyway Eric, I will look forward to seeing your next sequence with your new camera and have a good time in salford quays, great area for photographers.

Ralph

Hi Ralph

Thanks for looking, glad someone has seen the show as I made it. Did the keys yesterday in the showers, today was not so good, wasn't impressed with the Imperial War Museum & got stopped takeing pictures in the Lowry.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Having the FZ150 myself I realize the learning curve is steep. I think the rapid image captures is being mistaken for video. The first time I watched the pirate ship I thought it was video and there was hesitation. Watching it a second time and reading the forum thread helped me to understand what was going on. Overall I liked the slideshow but the music was slightly intense (but that's just me).

I hope the critics understand there is only one way to get to Carnegie Hall.

Tom

[/en

Hi I Tom literally threw the show together in a couple of hours So the music was rushed.

There is an original of the swing boat on a post to Ken. Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Hi Ralph

Thanks for looking, glad someone has seen the show as I made it. Did the keys yesterday in the showers, today was not so good, wasn't impressed with the Imperial War Museum & got stopped takeing pictures in the Lowry.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

shame the weather at salford quays was not good.

My wife and I saw "Looking for Doris" at the Lowry, we had a great time, it was about an old time favourite of mine, the great Doris Day.

Did not go into imperial war museum, but hope you got some shots off.

When I visted the quays it was like Patrick Mcgoohan's the prisoner, no one around and just surreal, but I kind of liked it.

regards

ralph