WnSoft Forums

Copyright music and YouTube

fh1805

Hi Yatchsman1,

Thanks for your kind comments. I have a number of AVs on Youtube with copyright music.

This one was pick up within minutes of uploading it. They are allowing it provided I

agree to them using adverts with it. I do hold an IAC licence which should cover

YouTube use.

Regards, Roger.

The above quote is from a post in the topic entitled "Shiny Happy People". Upon reading it I was struck by a couple of thoughts:...

The IAC licence used by many UK AV workers does indeed allow the playing back of short video clips on YouTube. But, as I understand it, its terms also preclude using the copyright material for any commercial purpose (at least that is implied although not, I believe, explicitly so stated). By insisting on being allowed to run advertisements superimposed upon the video, are YouTube now in violation of their own agreement with the IAC? Are they placing us in violation of our agreement with the IAC?

And the other point was this: Suppose I create an AV sequence as an amalgam of both imagery and sound and upload a video file of it to YouTube. Whether I have violated somebody else's copyright or not in the material I have used, that assembled sequence is my work and I own the copyright in the sequence. If anyone then makes a copy, in total or in part, of my work without my permission, they are in violation of my copyright. If YouTube accept a video but suppress the music, they have made a variant copy of the original piece of work. Does this mean that they are now in violation of the video producers copyright in that work?

No doubt YouTube's small-print in their Ts & Cs will cover their backs on this matter!

Just a couple of points to ponder...

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

When I posted my PTE show on Youtube I didn't get the option of allowing advertisements, it just came back minus sound. I assume YT/PTE offer the whole file of the work which if it contains copyright music, they are able to determine this through the codec's in the file? I wondered if it would be possible to re record the music & strip off the codecs instead of using the original music files. It is a stupid rule IMO as I was able to upload a video of a band playing a copyright piece with no problem. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Yachtsman1.

...I was able to upload a video of a band playing a copyright piece with no problem...

The band owned the "performance copyright". If you recorded that performance, you own the recording copyright. If the composer and/or arranger of the piece have been dead for less than 70 years (UK rule), they own the copyright to the sheet music from which the band played.

Confusing innit! :blink:

Peter

some background on facebook and youtube problems

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13740-facebook-pte32-bit-and-64-bit/page__view__findpost__p__89781

and

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9415-youtube/page__view__findpost__p__61624

and maybe Lin or Colin will jump in and explain how they knock your show out -- Lin explained once and Colin explained it to me the other day as he is making large videos and putting them on youtube and has the link that is mentioned re music copyright

ken

Hi Eric,

Youtube has multiple ways of determining the probable source of music embedded in a video. None has anything to do with codecs. Codecs are compression/decompression algorithms used to make either video or audio smaller in file size than uncompressed versions. Without a codec, your video would be absolutely too large to deal with. Remember, when you create a video, you are storing on your media from 25 to potentially 60 or more complete frames (images) per second of playback time. For example, for a five minute video, that would equate to 7500 to as many as 18000 individual images. Without compression, just trying to load these on media could be overwhelming and we are talking about only five minutes of video. Audio is similar. Without compression, the file sizes could be huge. So codecs allow compression of these huge video and audio files into a manageable size. In order to play them back, once they are loaded on your computer they must be "decompressed." So the codec allows the "decompression" of the compressed files so the computer can make sense of the content.

Audio files created by professional studios have metadata attached just like our jpg pictures have EXIF and metadata information available. Just making an MP3 from a CD doesn't necessarily remove metadata information. That's why when you use a player such as Kantaris Media Player, you sometimes see the artists name, etc., which is associated with your audio. Even if this data is stripped from the MP3 file Youtube has a huge database of audio and algorithms which quickly do "fingerprint" identification. There is really no way to avoid this without significantly altering the audio. Sometimes speeding up or slowing down the audio can effectively confuse the database comparisons algorithms, but don't depend on it. The software used for identifying an audio source is very sophisticated and very effective at ferreting out potential copyright violations. Also there are problems where certain companies make unsubstantiated "claims" to ownership of music and Youtube doesn't have the time or inclination to mediate disputes over ownership. At least one well known musician, Kevin Macleod has had a number of his musical compositions subjected to unwarranted claims of ownership by one such company. Some companies, such as SME (Sony) seem to believe that they own "all music" from their constant claims. Though an individual has the right to contest such claims of ownership, rarely do they prevail because money rules......

If you want to see or edit the metadata associated with your MP3 files read this:

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=4644

If you want to "strip" all metadata from an mp3 file, the easiest way is to us software such as MP3 Audio Recorder which intercepts and reads what goes to your sound card. Then save the recorded results as an MP3 and all metadata will be removed.

You might want to study this for some more interesting features of Youtube and some of the latest news...

http://www.simplyzes...u-need-to-know/

Best regards,

LIn

When I posted my PTE show on Youtube I didn't get the option of allowing advertisements, it just came back minus sound. I assume YT/PTE offer the whole file of the work which if it contains copyright music, they are able to determine this through the codec's in the file? I wondered if it would be possible to re record the music & strip off the codecs instead of using the original music files. It is a stupid rule IMO as I was able to upload a video of a band playing a copyright piece with no problem. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks Lin for explaining my terminology mistake, but I'm sure readers know what I meant. I have checked out the links you provided, in particular the one suggesting using Windows Explorer. I have had a look at the shows sound track which is a compilation of various MP3 tracks from various sources, see screen shot for result. There is no data there, so I assume if I strip the folder down to it's bare essentials sound wise, (just the show's sound track) it should pass Youtube scrutiny? or if they can't find the source do they just delete it as a precaution. :unsure:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

PS Forgot to mention, the sound track was compiled using Audacity.

post-5560-0-77755500-1339524023_thumb.jp

Peter/Eric,

I have been producing a lot of videos and uploading them to my youtube account. All my videos have music attached and once it has been uploaded, I immediately receive an email

informing me of copyright in the music and nothing is changed. I have been uploading for the last couple of months and have never had a problem.

Below is a copy of the email that I receive on each occasion:

Your video "FSX - Sunset flight.mp4", may have content that is owned or licensed by The Orchard Music, but it’s still available on YouTube! In some cases, ads may appear next to it.

This claim is not penalizing your account status. Visit your Copyright Notice page for more details on the policy applied to your video.

Sincerely,

- The YouTube Team

What Lin says is absolutely correct and they are always correct in identifying the copyrighted music. I do not always worry about the copyrighted music as there are, as we know, 100's of 1000's

of videos on Youtube, all with music. I will continue to upload my videos and PTE shows and am sure hopefully without any problem.

Colin

Peter,

Google aquired Youtube for $1.65 Billion. Along with that,comes a fairly large legal team.

You can be sure they know their small print.

The IAC on the other hand,are not sure exactly of all the ins and outs of copyright law,

but they do know somebody down the pub,who probably does.

They tried to sell me a licence once. About as much use as a chocolate chastity belt.

Eric,

You sold out to the man.Now the corporates are making revenue from you by advertising on the back of your AV.Shame on you. :P

The music recognition system they use now is pretty sophisticated. Not perfect though and it is possible to circumvent it,

if you are that way inclined.

Davy

Hi Eric,

That is excellent. It has been a while since I produced a PTE show and uploaded to Youtube, but if I remember correctly, I also had no emails re copyright.

I know with my mp4 videos, taken both with my video camera and video programme built into my flight simulator, I have been receiving emails.

Regards,

Colin

Guest Yachtsman1

After considering what I've learned today, IMO if PTE could institute some system to produce an MP4 from our PTE shows, we could publish/distribute them where we want to & not have to rely on Youtube or Facebook & the like. I suppose that's pie in the sky though. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Yachtsman1. :ph34r:

Guest Yachtsman1

Who you or me?

I assume you are referring to the "save a copy" box? so, how can that be done without submitting the show via the youtube action???

Regs Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

You've totally lost me... Creating an MP4 with PTE has nothing to do with Youtube or "save a copy" .... When you choose "Publish" from your menu, then from the drop-down choose HD Video for PC & Mac, PTE creates a stand-alone MP4.....

Best regards,

Lin

Who you or me?

I assume you are referring to the "save a copy" box? so, how can that be done without submitting the show via the youtube action???

Regs Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

I found it and just created an MP4, what you haven't appreciated I only upgraded my De-Lux version of PTE on Sunday, so all this is new. Pax

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Roger

It was over three years ago my De-lux version expired, it was only renewed last w/end, which is why I am only just coming into being able to use the full facilities.

Yachtsman1.