WnSoft Forums

HDMI ignores "Fixed size of slide..." setting?

fh1805

I've been puzzling over this one for a couple of weeks now. At our last AV group meeting I showed some examples of PTE sequences that had embedded video clips. These had been built on my desktop PC which has a 1920x1080 monitor that is connected to my PC via either a VGA or DVI cable (I'm not prepared to crawl under the desk and drag the PC out enough to disconnect it to find out which!). Because the video clips were only 1280x720 pixels, I had built the sequences at that size and had set "Fixed size of slide in pixels" = 1280x720 in Project Options | Screen. I did this because I did not want the video to be up-sized on the fly and suffer the inevitable degradation caused by interpolation. On my PC's monitor, these sequences play back with the 1280x720 image centered in the middle of the 1920x1080 monitor area. So far, all was as I expected it would be.

On the night, I was playing back on the laptop and projector of another member. The laptop had a 1920x1080 monitor and the projector had a native resolution of 1920x1080. My sequences were played back at 1920x1080, filling the projected image area. The setting that I had chosen to prevent "upsizing and interpolation" had been ignored.

The two units were connected via HDMI cable. Is what I saw the way it always is with HDMI? Or was there some setting that we should have applied to the laptop, projector or both?

I don't have the technology to perform any tests or trials. If anyone out there has the right gear and is willing to do the tests on my behalf, I'd be very grateful to know the results.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Peter When I compile a show, I set my images at 1920x1080, the same size as my cropped stills. You went through this with one of your previous shows with waterfalls if my memory serves me well. I went through possible reasons for your images being in a black box then. From recent chat could it be because you are using a template for a new show & not starting from scratch.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

PS the attached ss doesn't have the fix slide size box ticked, it should be.

post-5560-0-97991600-1347979521_thumb.jp

Peter,

Two questions:

1. What happens when you play the sequence on the laptop without being connected to the projector?

2. When you connect the projector and use Windows to switch off the local monitor, what resolution for the projector is to be seen in the Windows display settings?

Regards,

Xaver

I went through possible reasons for your images being in a black box then.

That's NOT the problem! The problem is that using a HDMI connected environment, the "Fixed size of slide..." setting seems to have been ignored and the images have been blown up to the full 1920x1080 - which was not what I wanted!

Peter

It sounds like the laptop did not set itself to 1920x1080 when the HDMI was connected - it's happened to me (albeit with a laptop whose native res was 1280x800).

You don't specifically say whether you were playing EXE files or MPEG4 files which you make for TV?

I assume that you meant EXE?

DG

Forgive my late thought - You can try this yourself.

Connecting a laptop to a TV via HDMI is the same as connecting a Laptop to a PROJECTOR via HDMI.

But here I go again - I make the assumption that you have access to a laptop with HDMI?

DG

P.S. You don't have to crawl under the table to see whether your monitor connection is VGA or DVI - look at the monitor end.

I assume that you meant EXE?

I did! Sorry, I should have made that clear.

But here I go again - I make the assumption that you have access to a laptop with HDMI?

Which I don't!

P.S. You don't have to crawl under the table to see whether your monitor connection is VGA or DVI - look at the monitor end.

Just as difficult! That means untying half a dozen cable ties to open up the cable loom under the desk so that I have enough slack to move the monitor to get at the back of it.

regards,

Peter

I'm reminded of the 6 P's which were drummed into me relentlessly when I was in gainful employment.

I admit to having "fallen down" many times but it always comes back to me (after the event):

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=the%206%20p%27s

This and "never use someone else's equipment". B)

DG

Hello Peter,

To project without problems with a laptop and a projector, some simple actions are required:

When connecting your projector the correct order is important.

Connect the cable between the laptop and beamer.

Then turn on your projector and allow to warm up until the projector is ready for projection.

Then turn on the laptop.

By this order the laptop will recognize the projector and usually also the correct resolution.

If that fails you can use the external signal in the laptop.

By simultaneously holding down the FN key and the monitor button and choose for simultaneous display.

Each laptop is different but usually FN + F4 or FN + F5 or FN + F7.

This information is based on some practice experience.

Greetings,

Cor

It sounds like the laptop did not set itself to 1920x1080 when the HDMI was connected - it's happened to me (albeit with a laptop whose native res was 1280x800).

DG

Hello Peter,

To project without problems with a laptop and a projector, some simple actions are required:

When connecting your projector the correct order is important.

Connect the cable between the laptop and beamer.

Then turn on your projector and allow to warm up until the projector is ready for projection.

Then turn on the laptop.

By this order the laptop will recognize the projector and usually also the correct resolution.

If that fails you can use the external signal in the laptop.

By simultaneously holding down the FN key and the monitor button and choose for simultaneous display.

Each laptop is different but usually FN + F4 or FN + F5 or FN + F7.

This information is based on some practice experience.

Greetings,

Cor

+1

DG

Cor/Dave,

You are "teaching Grandma to suck eggs"! That is how the equipment was connected and started up at the AV group meeting. All of us in the group who own projectors know that you start with the projector and then power-up that computer.

Peter