WnSoft Forums

Problem Overlaying a video clip over a slide. Solved

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Using 7.07, I am compiling part 2 of my friends Russian cruise, there is a video clip on the DVD which I have cropped out of the DVD using PTE's video conversion facility. I wish to overlay the clip over a slide with reduced opacity. When I try to do this via O&A, selecting the clip from the file list it appears as a film strip, see screen shot. When I try to run the clip using the toaster button, I get an error message see screen shot. The clip plays fine without the backing slide, but because of its size appears in a black box, see screen shot of the clip details. Anyone got an idea how to cure it.

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-52582200-1350307786_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-49247500-1350307807_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-96584500-1350307829_thumb.jp

Using 7.07, I am compiling part 2 of my friends Russian cruise, there is a video clip on the DVD which I have cropped out of the DVD using PTE's video conversion facility. I wish to overlay the clip over a slide with reduced opacity. When I try to do this via O&A, selecting the clip from the file list it appears as a film strip, see screen shot. When I try to run the clip using the toaster button, I get an error message see screen shot. The clip plays fine without the backing slide, but because of its size appears in a black box, see screen shot of the clip details. Anyone got an idea how to cure it.

Yachtsman1.

First all: that isn't a collective "debug" for futurible (more futurible) version 7.5. No, that is a Via Crucis! Any day!

Some problem for me, Yachtsman, but version 7.0 is ok, in Beta YXZ for Heaven! Impossible!

In previous version two clips, for example, go without problem in fade. In Beta? Ah...Lord bless the programmers.

No words.

Da Campo

I have received an e-mail from a fellow AV worker, who is not a forum member, reporting a very similar problem. His workaround was to build the slide "in reverse": drag the video into a new slide, add the still image as an object then position each where wanted. I am waiting for some diagnostic data from him.

regards,

Peter

Eric,

There's something odd in your first screenshot. In the Objects list, both objects have the "picture" icon that denotes a still image. The video file should have the "movie camera silhouette" icon. I suspect that the failure to detect the file properly as a video file is the root cause of the problems. As to why it isn't detected properly - that's one for Igor and the team.

Peter

Eric,

I can reproduce some of what you see. I proceeded as follows:

Add a still image as a new slide

Add a second still image as an object (independent not child) of this slide

Use the Properties tab to change the second image to a video clip (N.B. I had to change the file types from *.gif, etc to All types in order to pickup the video file)

Doing that gives me your "filmstrip" image and both objects showing as "picture" icons in the Objects list.

Peter

That is a simple task in Beta 10 of version 7.5 - I have no problem doing this in any way...

Best regards,

Lin

First all: that isn't a collective "debug" for futurible (more futurible) version 7.5. No, that is a Via Crucis! Any day!

Some problem for me, Yachtsman, but version 7.0 is ok, in Beta YXZ for Heaven! Impossible!

In previous version two clips, for example, go without problem in fade. In Beta? Ah...Lord bless the programmers.

No words.

Da Campo

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Peter

I think the first set of screen shots show an unconverted video clip, I retained the original when converting & picked the wrong one, I've now re-named it to avoid confusion. I tried your suggestion of adding the video first, then the slide using O&A, however I now have the items in the correct order but the video clip has a black frame around it. The new screen shots show the two video clips in O&A one correct one incorrect since removed, the second shows the video superimposed over the base slide, but, with the black frame.???

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-40821600-1350319180_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-61200700-1350319192_thumb.jp

Hi Eric,

Just put the video in a rectangular mask. Hold the shift key and drag each of the border sides of the mask rectangle to conceal the black frame.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Peter

I think the first set of screen shots show an unconverted video clip, I retained the original when converting & picked the wrong one, I've now re-named it to avoid confusion. I tried your suggestion of adding the video first, then the slide using O&A, however I now have the items in the correct order but the video clip has a black frame around it. The new screen shots show the two video clips in O&A one correct one incorrect since removed, the second shows the video superimposed over the base slide, but, with the black frame.???

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

That is a simple task in Beta 10 of version 7.5 - I have no problem doing this in any way...

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

Are you saying it won't work in 7.07, but will in 7.5 beta?

Peter, you have enough on trying to sort 7.5, forget my problem, I've worked around it by zooming the video clip enough to eliminate the black frame, not perfect but good enough for my audience. Thanks for trying

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Reported this elsewhere I think? However it appears that the guy who provided the oringinal video, had superimposed it over a black background. In later sequences of my Russian Cruise series, he had changed the background from black to blue which made it visible.

Yachtsman1.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yachtsman1

Just started a new series of shows on our trip to the Isle of Wight. I haven't downloaded 7.5 beta? yet. Has anyone tried overlaying a video clip over a still slide so that the video appears running with the still as a background? I think it was Peter who confirmed it was a bug in 7.06, but I haven't seen any examples of shows produced with 7.5? demonstrating the technique. Anyone know has the bug been cured?

Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Didn't you look at the sample I provided especially for you? I told you exactly the steps to take. It's a very simple thing to do in either 7.0 or 7.5..... There is and was no "bug" in doing this very simple thing....

Put the video and slide both in Objects and Animations - size and position the video. Set the time for the still to the time for the video - unless you want still slides to cycle in the background that's all there is to it. It you want to cycle stills in the background while the video plays, see the instructions I provided ealier.

Best regards,

Lin

Just started a new series of shows on our trip to the Isle of Wight. I haven't downloaded 7.5 beta? yet. Has anyone tried overlaying a video clip over a still slide so that the video appears running with the still as a background? I think it was Peter who confirmed it was a bug in 7.06, but I haven't seen any examples of shows produced with 7.5? demonstrating the technique. Anyone know has the bug been cured?

Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

Maybe you didn't read my previous posts re the original problem with the Russian show? Where I was getting a black box surrounding the video I'd stripped from someone elses DVD, I found the video was overlaid on a black background by the producer, it was only in a later show where he changed the background colour to blue it became clear, so that got that problem sorted. So I didn't do any more about it as our holiday was approaching & I had a deadline to finish the Russian shows before we left.

So back to the current problem, I have just opened my test show, then in O&A added first a still slide by clicking the add image button, then clicked the add image button again. As the video clip is not showing, I clicked the drop down arrow to change from "Graphic Files" to "All Files" and added the video clip, see screen shot for the result, the video doesn't play in either O&A or with the toast button.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-22183900-1351607194_thumb.jp

Hi Eric,

Let's start with "how" you are putting the video in. The fact that you see a "film strip" on your sample means you are not adding a video, you are adding a "picture" or image of the video. PTE has totally different functions for "add video" versus "add image" You have added an "image" of the video. Now, Follow this exactly.

Right click with your mouse in the Objects and Animation table (bottom right window in Objects and Animations) and choose from the drop down list "Add Video." Navigate to the video desired and double click the desired video.

Whenever you put "objects" (that's any slide, video or whatever) in Objects and Animations, they go in on different "layers." So if the "size" of the object on the top layer fills the area of the selected aspect ratio (it will) then anything beneath on another layer will not show. So the first thing you must do is be certain that your video is on the top layer. You move objects from layer to layer depending on their relative "position" in the objects list.

To move objects up or down use CTRL PgUP, CTRL PgDn or Shift PgUP, Shift PgDn depending on how many places you want to move the object up or down. The video needs to be on "top" of the still image in terms of position on the list. Once it is on top, then use the bounding rectangle to side it and move it to the desired position.

Now set the time for the still slide to the time for the video in seconds.

That's all there is to it.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin

Maybe you didn't read my previous posts re the original problem with the Russian show? Where I was getting a black box surrounding the video I'd stripped from someone elses DVD, I found the video was overlaid on a black background by the producer, it was only in a later show where he changed the background colour to blue it became clear, so that got that problem sorted. So I didn't do any more about it as our holiday was approaching & I had a deadline to finish the Russian shows before we left.

So back to the current problem, I have just opened my test show, then in O&A added first a still slide by clicking the add image button, then clicked the add image button again. As the video clip is not showing, I clicked the drop down arrow to change from "Graphic Files" to "All Files" and added the video clip, see screen shot for the result, the video doesn't play in either O&A or with the toast button.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Now I know how to overlay a video clip onto a slide & visa versa, can someone explain how I change the run time of either the video or slide so that the overlaid slide or video has different run times. I've tried using customise slide in O&A, highlighting one or the other, but despite changing the individual image times, they appear & disappear together, got me stumped :blink: :blink: :blink::unsure: I'm using 7.07.

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

Give me a specific scenario including how long you want the video to run and how long you want the background slide to run and I'll help you sort it out.

If you are dealing with it as a single slide, the run times can be adjusted for the video via the Properties Tab and the "duration," however, the video will freeze frame at the end of the duration and remain on-screen so you will also have to keyframe it to zero opacity at that time. On the other hand, if you change the time for the slide display via the "Customize Slide" to less than the video duration, they will both end. In this sense the display time for the "image" takes precedence over the video display time. The way to make the slide disappear while the video continues to run is leave the display time identical to the video then to use a keyframe and fade it out to zero opacity at the time you wish it to disappear. In such case the video will continue on a black background until it's display time has expired. If you want to cycle or sequence still frames behind a running video, then you need to set the video clip to "master" on the first slide and follow the instructions on my previous post.

Again - give me the specifics including times that you want and I'll help you set it up.

Best regards,

Lin

Now I know how to overlay a video clip onto a slide & visa versa, can someone explain how I change the run time of either the video or slide so that the overlaid slide or video has different run times. I've tried using customise slide in O&A, highlighting one or the other, but despite changing the individual image times, they appear & disappear together, got me stumped :blink: :blink: :blink::unsure: I'm using 7.07.

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin & now DG.

The two examples below illustrate what I'm trying to do, Overlay 1, has a video clip back ground with a full run time of around 13 seconds, the inset slide of the sleeping couple I want to appear, say 5 seconds into the video clip, then disappear after 3 seconds.

Overlay 2, same two images with the sleeping couple as the back ground slide & the video clip as a thumb nail top left. In this instance I would like the background couple to stay on the screen for say 20 seconds & the video clip to appear after 5 seconds & disappear after 10 seconds. Please take note, I have never mastered key frames :( , I missed school when that was explained

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

post-5560-0-42237500-1351842790_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-13754700-1351842811_thumb.jp

Hi Dave,

But it really depends on precisely what Eric is trying to achieve. As far as preventing freeze frame yes, but only when the timing of the video and slide are to be synchronized for the transition and really not too useful to introduce additional complexity until we fully understand what he is trying to achieve.

Eric will still have to understand (not necessarily master) simple keyframing to cause the video to appear, disappear, etc., while a still slide is to remain...

Best regards,

Lin

Lin,

KFSD makes it all so simple!

DG

Guest Yachtsman1

Around 1955, give or take, I went to a well respected local guitar teacher to ask if I could be his pupil.

He: "Can you read music".

I: "No"

He: "Come back when you can"

Best advice I ever had!!

DG

E G B D F = Every good boy deserves favour, when I was taught to play the sax & clarinet at 14 years of age, at 72 it takes longer. <_< I've managed up to now!!! :angry:

Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

O.K. - let's start with Example one.

Set the display time for the still slide to the video run time of 13 seconds (or whatever it actually is). In Objects and Animations - Animations Tab, with the start keyframe of the still slide highlighted, set the opacity of the still slide to zero. At four seconds, place a second keyframe for the still slide also set to zero opacity. At five seconds place a third keyframe set to 100 percent opacity. At seven seconds place a fourth keyframe set to 100 percent opacity. At eight seconds place a fifth keyframe set to zero opacity.

The purpose of the key frames are to quickly fade-in the still slide beginning at four seconds so that at five seconds it is 100 percent opaque and visible, keep it visible at 100 percent opacity for four two seconds and fade it out in a duration of one second so that it disappears. You can adjust the duration timing of the keyframes to suit.

The essence of keyframing in the relevant sense is to control the opacity (visibility) of the still slide while the video continues to run. Keep this in mind: keyframes are not difficult at all to understand but the part which may seem at first a bit unusual is that you must use a keyframe to "keep" a condition which you have created. Once you set into motion a "change" in a condition, it will continue to change unless you place an additional keyframe to "hold" that condition. So to change from invisible (the condition of zero opacity set at the beginning of the slide) you used another keyframe set to 100 percent opacity. But - and this is very important - to properly time the change, you need a third keyframe. You don't want the image to immediately begin fading in - you want it to begin fading in just before the three second point on your timeline. So that second keyframe also set to zero opacity tells PTE to not begin fading in until "now" (now being the time you used the second keyframe).

Likewise with the fade out. You don't want the still slide to immediately begin fading out as soon as it faded in. So to achieve this, you need the second keyframe also with 100 percent opacity to "hold" that condition of full opacity for that period of time between the two keyframes.

Now let's look at the second example:

In the second example, set the still frame with a time of 20 seconds. On the Properties Tab in the Objects and Animations screen, set the "Offset" for the video to five seconds. Set the opening keyframe for the video to zero opacity. At four seconds place a second keyframe also set to zero opacity. At five seconds place a third keyframe set to 100 percent opacity. At 10 seconds place a fourth keyframe set to 100 percent opacity, At 11 seconds place a fifth keyframe set to zero opacity.

The above will take care of the appearance and disappearance of the "picture" part of the video, but what about the audio part? If you have not muted the audio on the video, it will continue to run even though you have keyframed out the "appearance" of the video. So to deal with killing the audio, you must set the "duration" for your video to correspond to the length of time you want it to be on screen. In this case you would set the duration to five seconds.

You might have to fine tune the position of the keyframes to suit exactly what you want to achieve - but the essence is that you use the "Offset" to control the actual time the video starts "playing" and the keyframes to key it from showing up as a still image at the beginning of your slide and to make it disappear. You control the sound either by separating the sound from the video and playing it simultaneously then use the envelope or sound controls - or, as in my suggestion, just kill it via the "duration" of play of the video.

It sounds more complex than it really is. Once you are comfortable with the above, then we can discuss the feature Keep Full Slide Duration (KFSD) and how that affects the relationship between video and transitions, etc.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin & now DG.

The two examples below illustrate what I'm trying to do, Overlay 1, has a video clip back ground with a full run time of around 13 seconds, the inset slide of the sleeping couple I want to appear, say 5 seconds into the video clip, then disappear after 3 seconds.

Overlay 2, same two images with the sleeping couple as the back ground slide & the video clip as a thumb nail top left. In this instance I would like the background couple to stay on the screen for say 20 seconds & the video clip to appear after 5 seconds & disappear after 10 seconds. Please take note, I have never mastered key frames :( , I missed school when that was explained

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Dave,

Give Eric a quick tutorial on KFSD and how that will help with what he is trying to do. I'll point him to one of my tutorials from years ago on keyframing and together we will drag him kicking and screaming into the present so 7.5 will not be such a mystery...

Best regards,

Lin

KFSD makes ANYTHING to do with Video so much simpler.

I can see from the first JPEG what is required and KFSD would acheive it so easily.

Knowing the basics of Keyframing is really kid's stuff though.

I'm sure that there is a tute there somewhere?

DG