WnSoft Forums

Several Serious Bugs with Creating an EXE

mhwarner

First off, the counter that displays when you create an EXE file starts at -1% and goes to -140% (at least for the show I am attempting to create). How can you have -140% progress? Also, it appears that there is a progress bar, but the bar is empty and there is no colored slider to indicate progress (assuming that there's supposed to be one).

The big showstopper for me however is that I am using a copyright logo for this show. The specified file for the logo is actually a .png picture frame which overlays the entire show. The file is there. It shows up in the mini-preview. It shows up in the fullscreen preview. I have created a DVD of the project as well and the overlayed image shows up fine there. I just cannot create an .EXE file from the project. When I open the EXE, I get the big blue missing file screen and the show doesn't run.

If I remove the logo completely, the show is created, but when I play it, there is no longer any music! (And just for the record, I did nothing to alter any of the music files -- just added about 8 mp3 audio files under project options.) Again, the music plays ok in the mini preview, in the fullscreen preview and in the DVD.

Update: The show in question was created entirely in 7.5. I just loaded a different project with the same sort of logo (frame overlay) created in 7.0something and it created an executable with no problem. Also, the progress bar displays properly with the correct percentages and a green slider bar.

Any thoughts?

THIS PART OF THE ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED: Also, where is the number on the main screen that tells how large the created EXE file will be? I just noticed that it now longer displays and there doesn't appear to be a menu option to turn it on or add it in. That was a nice option to have when attempting to create a show to fit on a CD or to fit within a particular size range. Guess I should have looked more closely at the betas and reported it missing. Or maybe it was purposely left out?

Preferences?

Turn everything on and move itmes to where you want them. you can then turn off any items that you do not want.

DG

Thanks Dave! I had already looked through the Settings\Preferences dialog as I knew from beta testing that it was possible to turn things on or off but I somehow missed the vertical scrollbar in the "Toolbars" section that allows us to add or remove things from the status bar. Checking the "Size of EXE" checkbox did the trick!

First off, the counter that displays when you create an EXE file starts at -1% and goes to -140% (at least for the show I am attempting to create). How can you have -140% progress? Also, it appears that there is a progress bar, but the bar is empty and there is no colored slider to indicate progress (assuming that there's supposed to be one).

Not on my machine - 5 minute show - Takes about 2 seconds - I see 100% and a green progress bar.

Mary,

I do not have any of those problems with v7.5. When you installed v7.5, did you tell it to use settings from a previous version? It is the very last decision you have to make during the install process. If you did, it might be worth uninstalling v7.5 and re-installing it, but this time telling it not to use settings from a previous version. Obviously, you will then have to work through Settings > Preferences and Project Options to set the values as you want them to be.

All the old toolbar and information bar options are still available via Settings Preferences. You can now decide which ones are important and which are not; and you can place the toolbar items where you would prefer them to be (top left, top right or bottom left)

regards,

Peter

Ok. Not sure what the problem was here, but I went through and resized all of the files in my slide show from 5184 x 3456 (default from Canon 60D) down to 1950 x 1300 (an odd size, I know, but I wanted some extra for zooms and pans). Anyway, this time the executable was created and the progress bar worked just fine. Apparently it was a memory issue of some sort. Odd.

Hi everybody,

I posted a comment on Oct 29th about a similar problem regarding the behaviour of the exe progress bar but no-one replied!

This is what I'd said:

"I produced a couple of shows recently with beta 13 which ran OK on my PC, and which produced DVDs correctly, but had the same problem as each other when I tried to produce exe files for PC.

In both cases the progress bar for the exe production popped up and the percentage figure was displayed as you would expect.

The odd thing was that the percentage figure was shown as a negative number and in one case went to about -800% before the progress box just disappeared.

(That show was about 25 mins and was a mixture of stills and video, and all the videos had been optimised for use by PTE).

The exe file not surprisingly did not play.

I didn't keep those shows at the time and have not been able to reproduce the situation as yet.

Also I wasn't able to check whether the same behaviour occurred with previous versions of PTE.

Has anyone else experienced this?"

I can add more to that now.

All the videos were 1920 by 1080.

I rebuilt the project after converting the videos to 1280 by 720 and the production of the exe worked fine.

So I'm really supporting Mary's observation about the progress bar.

Regards,

wideangle

My show did not contain any videos, so I don't think that is a common thread. As I said, I resized all my photos and the problem went away. When I have a few minutes, I will see if I can duplicate the problem again with a smaller version of the show and post the template.

Mary,

Have you tried the uninstall/reinstall instructions that I posted earlier (post #5)? I suggested that line of attack because, during the beta programme, some other problems were resolved by that one simple action. A re-install in which you do NOT take the option to use the settings from a previous version is effectively an install as if PTE had never existed. It still picks up your key from the registry but that is the only piece of any previous version that it does use.

regards,

Peter