WnSoft Forums

Correct Folder in the File List

goddi

Greetings,

When I open a previously created PTE show (.pte), usually the files associated with the show will appear in the File List window. However, every so often, the files in the File List window will display the files from a different show and I have to hunt to the location (folder) for the correct files for the show I want to work on. What is creating this difference? I am not saying there is a problem but it is just an inconvenience that I'd like to avoid if I understood why this is happening.

I know that if I browse to the correct folder and then show it in the File List window and save the project, the next time I open the project, the correct folder appears in the File List window. But why did it the correct folder not appear in the first place?

Thanks…

Gary

Is it that Igor made this change in a particular version and that in versions after that it does what you want and in versions prior to that it doesn't??

If you open an older project and save it as a 7.5 version it will always open the correct folder from that point onwards?

DG

Is it that Igor made this change in a particular version and that in versions after that it does what you want and in versions prior to that it doesn't??

If you open an older project and save it as a 7.5 version it will always open the correct folder from that point onwards?

DG

===============================

Dave,

"If you open an older project and save it as a 7.5 version it will always open the correct folder from that point onwards?" Perhaps that will be the case. Time will tell as I use the 7.5 version. But as we get new versions, won't the 'problem' persist?

Now, let me add a couple other similar 'aggrivations'. Let's say I now have the correct folder displayed in the File List window. When I do a Save As, I have to Browse to that same folder location. Wouldn't it be nice if PTE would pick up that same folder that is in the File List window as the initial default location?

Then, let's assume that I have now done a Save As to save the new project into the proper folder (that contains all of my images). Then when I want to add an audio file to the project, I go into Project Options and choose Audio, the location that appears is not the folder that I just did a Save AS to. I have to then do a Browse again to find the correct folder. I would like it to default to the Saved As folder because I am using the logic to put all of my images and audio files in the same folder. Wouldn't it be nice if PTE would select the Save As folder as the initial default folder for the initial look for Audio files?

Gary

Gary,

My current project is a 7.5 project and opens with the Project Folder (my Save As Folder) already open.

If I now open a much older Project it does not recognize its Project Folder.

Do a Save As and repeat the process and all is well - project folder recognized.

This feature did not arrive with 7.5.3 so I assume that all Projects Saved after a particular Version (7.x.x) will do this - You are asking for it to be made a retrospective feature?

On your second point - it does - from 7.5.

On your third point - it does - from 7.5.

DG

Gary,

My current project is a 7.5 project and opens with the Project Folder (my Save As Folder) already open.

If I now open a much older Project it does not recognize its Project Folder.

Do a Save As and repeat the process and all is well - project folder recognized.

This feature did not arrive with 7.5.3 so I assume that all Projects Saved after a particular Version (7.x.x) will do this - You are asking for it to be made a retrospective feature?

On your second point - it does - from 7.5.

On your third point - it does - from 7.5.

DG

===================

Dave....

Hmmmmm.... I am using 7.5.2. It would be nice, if after setting the folder for the project in the File List location, PTE would use that location as the intial default for its initial Save As and adding Audio and other functions.

Gary

Gary / Ken,

I think that we have to accept the current version available for download HERE as the latest. It shows up in HELP as 7.5.2.

Igor was/is (?) trying to find a solution to a unique problem arising out the special circumstance of using KFSD and "Repeat Until Esc" and gave me a couple of trial versions.

Until he comes up with a solution the current 7.5.2 is the best option and the KFSD problem can easily be "worked around".

DG

PTE didn't used to remember your folders at all until about v6.0 or 6.5, at which point Igor changed the code so that it did remember the folder that you last accessed for each project.

Note that phrase: "last accessed". If you opened an old project in the newer release and did nothing other than File Save As, you gained nothing. You had to add an image file to the project in order for the folder to have been "accessed". I think you could actually delete that image file before doing the File Save As and the folder would still be regarded as having been "accessed" and would thus be remembered in the project. All projects started since that version of PTE should remember the folder automatically.

Note further that I think this applies only to image files - but I may be wrong and it might apply also to audio and video files.

regards,

Peter

Dave

thks for the clarification

Peter

thks

great for newbies as well as reminder for the rest of us -- I specifically asked Igor years ago why the program could not remember where you got the music when it could remember the files/slides location!

ken

PTE didn't used to remember your folders at all until about v6.0 or 6.5, at which point Igor changed the code so that it did remember the folder that you last accessed for each project.

Note that phrase: "last accessed". If you opened an old project in the newer release and did nothing other than File Save As, you gained nothing. You had to add an image file to the project in order for the folder to have been "accessed". I think you could actually delete that image file before doing the File Save As and the folder would still be regarded as having been "accessed" and would thus be remembered in the project. All projects started since that version of PTE should remember the folder automatically.

Note further that I think this applies only to image files - but I may be wrong and it might apply also to audio and video files.

regards,

Peter

==========================

Peter,

Ok...but I am not sure if I am understanding fully. If I read these posts correctly, my problem occurs because I have tried to open an old show in a new version. The old version did not have the code to remember the associated folders. So, if I go through the Browse process for each of my older shows in our latest version and set the folder locations for its File List and Audio and do a Save As, the problem will not occur again with those shows? I just have to bring them up-to-date?

Thanks,

Gary

Peter,

Ok...but I am not sure if I am understanding fully. If I read these posts correctly, my problem occurs because I have tried to open an old show in a new version. The old version did not have the code to remember the associated folders. So, if I go through the Browse process for each of my older shows in our latest version and set the folder locations for its File List and Audio and do a Save As, the problem will not occur again with those shows? I just have to bring them up-to-date?

Thanks,

Gary

Gary,

That's basically what I said here:

The "gotcha" is that it only happens after a Save or Save As.

DG

Gary,

That's basically what I said here:

http://www.picturest...post__p__104243

The "gotcha" is that it only happens after a Save or Save As.

DG

=====================

Dave,

Ok...So I have to 'fix' each of the older shows that don't 'remember' their associated folders that apply to them. And it should not happen again. Future version will remember the associated folders. Got it.

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

I plan to rework this behaviour of PicturesToExe in future version. It's in my TODO list.

======================

Igor,

That would be great. Here is another example of this problem. I just happened to take a look at a PTE tutorial that someone had made for sound editing. When I openned the PTE project, the File List showed my files from one of my previous projects. It would be very helpful if PTE would automatically show the the files in the File List window that pertain to to PTE project as it is openned in PTE, so we don't have to Browse to set the proper location of the source files.

Thanks,

Gary

• 1 month later...

Gary,

I just reworked this feature. This change will appear in the next version.

PicturesToExe will remember opened folder in the File list for current project in the settings of program. And browsing of folders in the File list or File tree will not cause modifying of a project (with need to save it). So described problems should not occur anymore.

Gary,

I just reworked this feature. This change will appear in the next version.

PicturesToExe will remember opened folder in the File list for current project in the settings of program. And browsing of folders in the File list or File tree will not cause modifying of a project (with need to save it). So described problems should not occur anymore.

Thanks, Igor. Looking forward to it.

Gary