WnSoft Forums

Show Details

Guest Yachtsman1

Guest Yachtsman1

It has been suggested many times & not just by me, that when shows are posted on here some details are given. One new aspect to this is that now shows cannot be put into a menu unless they were made in the same series of PTE, those of us who display other work besides their own have no way of knowing which series the exe was produced from. Please can I request this information is given.

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Why would you need to know that for someone elses slide shows unless you want to put those into your menu system?

Barry

I thought that was what I said? those of us who display other work besides their own

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Barry

IMO anyone who posts their shows on public sites is obviously giving people permission to download them, I think you are looking for spies under the bed. I have posted over 70 shows on here & not specified that they cannot be used how the down loader wishes. In the 5 years I've used PTE I've downloaded & kept around 60 shows that I thought outstsanding & worthy of being kept. None of the shows I downloaded had any conditions attached. So what is the problem??? I have added screen shots of my folders that I keep shows by others in, if there are any of yours on there, which I don't think there are & you don't want me to keep them for showing to who I chose, or anyone else who can see their show in my files for that matter. Apologies to anyone whose shows I downloaded & didn't keep.

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-06202400-1357654191_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-16272100-1357654229_thumb.jp

post-5560-0-99665600-1357654253_thumb.jp

Eric we post shows because we want them to reach a wider audience and we hope they are appreciated by others so I am not opposed to anything you say. Its just that when ever I have done that I allways ask the authors permission, even those who are close friends. It just struck me as a little different to show other peoples work and put it into a menu system that is sort of semi permanent. It indicates the slide show will be shown as a part of anothers presentation or talk more than once and under those circumstances of course permission should always be requested.

You really must sit back and take a deep breath before you answer posts because you have the knack of assuming the worst all the time. I would not be unhappy about my shows being included, but I would expect to be asked. Especially when a speaker wants to use what I have made as a teaching aid as many do. I have been asked many times by people who want to show my slide shows or sections of my tutorial disks and I don't think I have ever said no. I guess many have used stuff without asking me, but I don't worry about what I don't know about. When someone does ask it says rather a lot about that person. Genuine, polite, they have integrity etc etc.

Guest Yachtsman1

I'm not prepared to lose sleep over my original request for more detail, suffice it to say to date I haven't used any of the shows by others in my files in a menu, nor have I shown them to anyone other than my wife for her comments. I suggest if you have anything else to say to me on the matter you use the forums PM system as suggested recently when anything that may be classed as not for publicising is being said. It just creates a bad atmosphere with this protracted diatribe. That's my final word in public on the matter.

Yachtsman1.

This came in this morning and its exactly what I was referring to

Hi. I belong to ‘xxxx & xxxxx Photographic Club’ and we would like to use your tutorial DVD’s as an aid. Would this be OK ?It’s the first time we have had a tutorial for Pictures to Exe for all the members. regards A Bloggs LRPS CPAGB (club Program Secretary)

Barry

IMO anyone who posts their shows on public sites is obviously giving people permission to download them. <snip>

Yachtsman1

There is a big difference between downloading a show for personal viewing and downloading a show for subsequent club or even public use.

I think permission for personal viewing is implicit with the posting of a show, but permission to show somebody else's show is not necessarily implicit, and permission should be sought, along with the circumstances under which you intend to use the show.

Although not usually mentioned, copyright exists for every show, and public showing of someone else's work could be said to be infringing their copyright.

In every case where I have used another's show at club level I have sought permission along with how I wish to use their show. I've never been refused, and the authors have been very pleased that I did so. And I always tell the audience that the show is the work of the author and not mine, so I don't get embarrassing questions about where the shots were taken or how I did such and such an effect.

...copyright exists for every show, and public showing of someone else's work could be said to be infringing their copyright.

Not just "could be said", it IS infringing their copyright unless clearance has been sought and given.

regards,

Peter

Guest Yachtsman1

Colin

EXACTLY and thank you for saying so. For a while there I thought the whole forum had gone blind or lost the ability to read.

Barry

Maybe you could enlighten us all by explaining how you obtained the Queen copyright police's permission to use one of their tracks on your Schools Out show? Or did you use a medium to get in touch with Freddy? I suppose out there you used a Nungkari?

I hear they are pretty good, if you did was it the chap in the picture? I believe he can be contacted on his IPhone on Ayres Rock 555??? ;)/>/>/>

post-5560-0-56150200-1357975875_thumb.jp

Come on guys, healthy debate is all well and good, but let's try and keep the personal stuff out of it. It contributes nothing to the debate, and does nothing to enhance the reputation of the forum or of those who indulge in it.

Colin

EXACTLY and thank you for saying so. For a while there I thought the whole forum had gone blind or lost the ability to read.

Barry,

I agree also that permission should be sought, as happens I recently asked Almark if I could use his show in the future, and Mark did not hesitate in saying yes.

My mother was a very strict ' Yorkshire Lass' and we always had to say 'Please' its common courtesy surely.

Ralph

Peter

I really don't mean to open up the copyright debate again, but if we all follow the letter of the law, most of us couldn't make any slide shows at all and PTE/PSG and the like would never be, yet I am many others have been doing that for 30 years now without any real issues. It is an area that makes us uncomfortable for all the reasons that have been debated here and elswhere. Its one thing making a show with copyright music and showing it to other AV enthusiasts (but still illegal) and another to use copyright music in a commercial product for gain.

The original thread was the assumpton that a slide show posted was fair game for someone else to take and use themselves. My issue wasn't really with the copyight angle, but the common curtesy of asking rather than assuming. We all make slide shows we hope others will enjoy, so most of us want our shows to be seen and hopefully enjoyed. If we don't, why bother.

Eric,

To address the issue in obtaining the version of a EXE :

It is possible to get the slideshow version of the EXE all on your own using the PTE program. It would be nicer and easier if PTE offered version info when compiled.

A few simple steps

1) Open PTE Project Options| Advanced tab (v7.5) or Project Options | More tab (older ver)

2) Set Run Slideshow option.

3) Select the slideshow EXE file.

*If the slideshow EXE is not compatible for Run Slideshow playback a message box will appear identifying the version conflict. See attachment.

post-45-0-55794700-1357991836_thumb.jpg