WnSoft Forums

The Third Image

Hi LumenLux

I am pretty confident that Bart will oblige!

Hello everyone!!

Do not mind doing this at all! :)

I already have a picture gallery on my site, plus a few extra "goodies"

Also, to top it off..you can chat among each LIVE!

If you need more info, please drop to a email!

Hope this helps and glad to help each and everyone of you!!

Bart

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed

I used the method you described when I initially produced Juliette appearing on the balcony by a series of faded images before coming up with my final version quoted earlier in this thread, the example of which is on the Beechbrook Site under Third Image Demo. See my post of February 2 & 3 on page 1. My final method is more simple and smoother.

Ron [uK]

Hi Everyone

I have just heard from Bart at Multi-Media Matrix, and he has set up an Album in his Gallery, entitled The Third Image............this can be used for the example project/competition. I know that he also has a facility for uploading images, (naturally), but I shall need to check with him about downloading the images for use in the 'project/competition - assuming that this is the idea - and I shall check the site again for hosting the finished sample presentations.

Are there any other facilities that are required to make this work?

Thanks

The Image Suite

Hi

When I tried to connect to Bart's site I keep getting this message.. :unsure: ..........

500 server error

I encountered an unrecoverable server error. Please go back and try again.

Will try again tomorrow.

Hi Image Suite........

Can't find the news section either .........

the News section on my website will keep you up to date......recommend you log-in to that every now and again............www.theimagesuite.co.uk

Pleased to hear Bart can do the hosting. (Can stop biting my fingernails now!)

Apart from the web site, he has a great birthday too :D - ( same as mine - only I'm past it & my brain cell is getting over stretched).

Hi Ed,

Have been using Photoshop to create the transitions since Photoshop version 3 (used to convert lots back to slide film from my monitor screen!). Find Photoshop much quicker than any other method (but that's down to what you get used to ). Usually save my whole sequence as a stack of layers in one file. So always have spare images & stacked in order if anything goes wrong & you lose the sequence.

Never be afraid to suggest anything -even if it has been mentioned before, always good to have a reminder and newcomers don't know all the previous threads. I used to save all the useful tips on the original PTE Forum (they're saved to CDs somewhere) but never seem to find the time to go back & reread them -or sort them.

Look forward to seeing the Album at Bart's site.

BW Maureen :)

Hi Maureen

Re Bart's site..........I know that last night he was doing some maintenance. Do keep trying..............but remember to hit your reload or refresh button, as your computer may well have stored the information you previously found.

Re The Image Suite site.........it is there clear as a bell. We made changes over the weekend, so again if you have visited pre the weekend then you may have to hit the refresh or reload button...............failing that clear the history in your internet carrier..... :)

The Image Suite

Ed

I agree with Maureen - “Never be afraid to suggest anything - even if it has been mentioned before”. My recent post was in no way intended as a censure but to help you. My digital experience predates even Photoshop 3.0 with Micrografix and Corel, although it is not reflected in the quality of my work. Actual printing of an A4 image then took 8 hours. There were no instructional courses or such excellent forums as this one.

Sutton Camera Club is still using my Club Logo slides produced by photographing the computer monitor. They predate even Windows and were “drawn” with Gem software. Best wishes.

Ron [uK]

Waht have we started here!

Great to see the fire burning under so many people.

Thanks to Bart for agreeing to host. What I think we should do now is have a folder where between now and say, 1st March we each submit 3 images. Then over the month of March we all take the images supplied and create a show. This way we all use the same images but the secquence, and sound would be up to you. There should be no winners in this exersize, but we would all benifit from seeing how others deal with a group of images.

We should use all images and not just the ones we feel go well together. Lets keep them small too, so the file can be downloaded easily. If we find a master piece we can always go back to the big pictures,

looking forward to the crack,

Alan

looking forward to the crack,

Hope you're not refering to the state of my little brain cell Alan! :D

Ron - I am very impressed. :o

I used to love Corel -got me started, then there was the BBC .........waiting for the tape to load and play........

Happy days!

Now I get impatient if I can't find the news - must need new glasses (or brain) :(

Ah well, all keeps me from the housework.

BW Maureen

Hi all, quick reply to some of your replies to my last post:

no offense taken, Ron, I have a thick skin ;) and your comment wasn't remotely offensive anyway.

I've been doing AV since the late 80s and produced a couple of dozen two-projector shows using our club's Clearlight programmer before switching to digital, initally with some DHTML code a friend wrote to run AV through Internet Explorer off-line in kiosk mode. So I've been familiar with "the third image" from day one, maybe haven't used it as well as I might have. Yes I do recall holding sandwiched slides up to a bare tungsten bulb to see what the third image would look like, painful memory...

My show-in-stacked-PSD-layers files get to about 150 MB after 25 layers or so, at which point I generally break the show into a second file so I have frames 1-25 in one file, then 26-50 in another etc. I start in this case with frame 25 at the bottom of stack in the second series to get the registration right when I'm positioning the frames off-centre on the canvas, then delete frame 25 once I've got 26 lined up right. Another basic tip which is so obvious it's easy to overlook, is lock the layer position once you've got it lined up the way you want it -- nothing can be so frustrating as to think you're re-aligning a new image when you're actually working on an earlier layer that you'd already aligned and you forgot to lock the position and everything is now out of whack :ph34r: If I had more RAM and MHz on my system than I do, I might let the file get bigger, but at a PSD file of 150 MB on my system Photoshop starts disk swapping and everythig becomes painfully sluggish after that.

Slightly off topic, but another tip -- I crop each image the way I think the image needs to be cropped as-is, which inevitably means the aspect ratios of my images are all over the place. To avoid having the image boundaries jump back and forth in the AV show, which is especially annoying when the images are all centred, I find it helps to apply subtle photo-frame effects (try Photoframe 2.5 by Extensis, if I may mention a commercial product here, and if you don't mind the price tag) to make the image edges soft and irregular, by careful selection of frame colours to match colours in common with both images in a sequence, this often hides the "bouncing image boundary" problem fairly well. Another trick is to use some of the special transition effects (like page, barn, circle or rectangle) to mask some of the variable-aspect-ratio problems, but that can get to be distracting and disruptive to your show if you do it too often.

Everyone has different ways of doing things, which is what makes our club's AV workshops and AV showcase nights so exciting, we learn a lot from each other. We used to have an annual AV competition, but partly at my urging we've dropped it as many of us have major reservations about competitions in photography, a topic not for this thread or forum I suspect.

It's great to have forums like this to share ideas with others outside Ottawa, though, there's always a danger of becoming in-bred in your approach if all you see is what the relatively small number of other AV producers in one city are doing.

Hi Alan

That sounds like an eminently workable arrangement to me......as mentioned, Bart has set up an Album in his Gallery called 'The Third Image' where the images may be stored. I suspect that the reason his site is currently down is that he is rapidly putting in place a facility for us all to download the images (I may be wrong.......but I know he's working on the site).

Thanks for your support Alan.

The Image Suite

Hi Ed,

Interesting points you make.

Yes, it can become a little tedious (in the nicest possible way) in being limited to the one group of a/vers, which is why these forums are so important - it's like having your own virtual a/v club, but with the benefits of international perspective and experience! Long may the forums and chats continue....... :)

The Image Suite

Hello..

I noticed several tried to get on my site!!

At the present, my providor is transfering all my data to another server because:

1) I purchased some more bandwidth and web space

My ISP is located on the west coast and I am in the Great Lakes area..so it will be

sometime tonight(Thursday) that everything will be back to norm

Thanks for you understanding

Bart

Hi Bart

Thanks for clarifying the postion re Multi-Media Matrix - http://community.barcin.net/

that will provde some comfort to those who have tried to gain access.........don't forget everyone, if you wish to participate in the Third Image Project, then you will need to go to Bart's site and register as a member - membership is free.

The Image Suite

Great news Bart,

let the tournament commence! Now about image size, as I said best if we keep them small for down loading I suggest 300 pixels across the top and all in landscape format. The one format allows for better third images.

Are we all happy with this?,

Alan

Alan

Should we not also stick to the same ratio either 3:2 (normal for slide scans) or 4:3 (normal for digital)? I am now using the latter for better use of my digital projector, in which case the preferred width would be 320 pixels. However there would be no problem in cropping the images to suit our modus operandi. Thanks Bart.

Ron [uK]

Hi,

Ok Ron we should go with ratio but I think the 320 across the top is big enough. On a theme lets try keep it as open as possible so I would use one of the following:

1.Landscape (seascape)

2.People

3.Wildlife

4.Architecture

5.At work

As this thread was started by The Image Studio I suggest the topic should come from there,

Alan