WnSoft Forums

The Third Image

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just visited the Gallery with your 3 photos. Nice photos. I would throw a suggestion on the table however - Maybe we should use pictures twice that size. I hesitate to suggest too strongly because I don't know if I will make it into the competition anyway. But personally, I think it would be a lot easier working with larger pix. When sizes were discussed, I did not really think about how small those look. I am afraid the result might seem more like a study of 1/3 images instead of 3rd images. Anyone else thinking that way? I really don't think the file sizes would be prohibitive.

I have just copied over one of the images and opened it in Photoshop. The highest acceptable size on my monitor viewed from normal distance is 4 inches by 3 inches. Back to the drawing board?

Ron [uK]

I am no expert on this but in the galleries on my website www.ronwil.statacom.net I have used 500 and 600 pixels width. I think, by looking at some of those images, your suggestion of 'double' might be more acceptable.

By the way, how did you send your images? As *.jpg attachments to e-mail? Or did you use the upload facility on Bart's site?

Ron [uK]

Hi everyone,

I've had lots of Internet problems (cleared my cache & history & all settings went haywire on me!) :(

I wasn't sure if I was having problems with Bart's site or just my computer. All seems to be almost sorted here now and Bart's site is up and running brilliantly - well done Bart. :D

Thought I would suggest ........ that all discussion about the image sizes, and what is going to be happening on Bart's site would be better typed up on Bart's site now it is running perfectly?

Otherwise some people who use both Forums would know what was happening but have to keep going back & forth between the two Forums (?) and newcomers to Bart's site would be "in the dark" and need to pop over here.

Just a thought ? ;)

Sometimes very long threads benefit also from a new topic title.

I find it hard to reread something about (e.g. gallery images ) if it is buried with lots of other things in long thread about eg the third image. This usually happens to me when some has mentioned a piece of software or a link and then I can't remember where I'd seen it (as it often doesn't have much connection with the title of the thread).

Perhaps I'm the only one who tries to look back in this way. (?)

Hope no one thinks this is a crititism, none intended.

We used to have very very long threads in the early days and Igor worked hard to rethink the divisons & keep the topics easy to spot.

Thanks Igor! :D

Can't be many with his patience and tolerance, not to mention talent and dedication.

Bw to all

Maureen

PS posting a new thread about the digital comp (as my web sites got "tangled up" too!)

I can't say I have read every contribution on this third image debate, but do I have it wrong?

In the D.D.B.D. (Dark days before digital) when two projectors where used, I always looked on the third image as the image that was created by both projectors being lit. One projector would be on the transition to fully lit and the other on the way to fully dark. It depended on the density of the slides where the third image showed itself in this cycle.

If I had a particularly interesting third image I could hold the transition for a couple of seconds at the critical point to give the viewer a chance to see the third image before completing the transition.

What I seem to be reading is a third image made up in Photoshop, no problem with that at all, but I am not sure if that is a third image if we are comparing back to DDBD.

There probably is a solution using layers and making three images rather than two. A reduced opacity layer can be used to spot the potential of a third image as many members have stated, but we mustn't get too obsessed with the third image. Give me a top quality first and second image before worrying about a third !!!!!

One way I have used to try and ensure the best transition possible (and increase the possibility of a good third image) is to start with my first image correctly sized for PTE. Drag the next image into a layered form, but do so with the image at full resolution. It will look huge (depending on resolution of your digicam of scan) in relation to the first PTE sized image.

Reduce the opacity and move the large image around over the original to the optimum spot for a good transition and possibly a good third image. Wack the opacity up full and save as a Jpeg.

bbdigital

Don't spoil our fun Barry. From the initial post by The Image Suite we have reached a point where those of us who are interested will upload on to Bart's site three architectural images in horizontal format 4:3 at a pixel width of probably 640 (yet to be agreed). From the resultant uploads each of us will see what we can do in PTE. Some images we hope will lend themselves to our various ways of producing a third image.

Most of us who have shown interest in this particular thread are well established AVers. Our ramblings hopefully will trigger ideas from new generations.

Ron [uK]

Hi Barry

Yes, you are absolutely correct in what you say.........refer to exchange of forum messages dated 1st Feb (08.46 p.m.) through to 2nd Feb where we have discussed the ideal of the third image from two images. However, not everyone has the skill to develop a third image from two, so the starting point of the exercise is to get new a/vers to first consider the third image as a new concept, rather than merely use the modern transitions which are killing the third image off.

I agree wholeheartedly too that having great images is just as important.......but perhaps, just perhaps, the concept of the introduction of the third image to those new a/vers that have never heard of it before, may actually improve their approach to photography, get them thinking outside the box and improve their first, second and all other images!

The Image Suite :)

Why have we left this site please, things were going along quite smoothly, and what size have we fixed on?

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron

We haven't left the site Ron - purely opened a second thread in Bart's site where he is hosting the 'challenge' to make it easier for the likes of Maureen who feels she gets lost in long threads like this. I shall continue to use this site and still use Bart's site too......I'm more than happy to continue here.......can't remember Bart's URL, but if you go to my website (www.theimagesuite.co.uk) and then the Audio-visuals Workshop page, then there is a link on there to Multi-Media Matrix - which is Bart's site.

Re size: we have fixed on 640 width.....

Cheers

The Image Suite

Thank goodness for that. I always go to this forum first after my e-mail check, whenever I switch on my computer. There are always things going on here, whereas some of the other forums are slow to respond and lack vitality. I must admit however that I like the look of Bart's site and will be a more frequent visitor.

I have my images ready for re-sizing and will upload as soon as I see if they fit the bill.

Best wishes

Ron [uK]

My three images are ready. Cautiously I have been waiting to see what others submit just in case mine do not fit the bill. So far only yours are there in their smaller size. By the way do we have to supply thumbnails as well for Bart's site.

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron

Good to hear from you.........thumbnails? No, I don't think so, well at least I haven't. I haven't had time to get around to removing the existing images and replacing them with the larger versions......assuming I can find them again in my library! It has been a bit manic here...........with a new round of workshops starting Tuesday.

Cheers :)

The Image Suite

Well I have taken the plunge and added my three images to the "Architecture" album on Bart's site. However the results are disappointing. I uploaded at 640 pixels width but at download they are only 400. Sizing them up in Photoshop to 1024 or 800 they are not to my liking and no way compare with the original or as seen on Bart's site..

Ron [uK]

Hi Ron

I like the images.......I can see a blend immerging! How did you download them? I haven't noticed a facility for that other than 'Downloads' which I got the impression was for software.......(have to confess, that I haven't experimented nor looked to thoroughly). I wonder if Bart's site has a max size to which it defaluts? Also what resolution have they been saved at - 72 dpi?

Anyway, we can iron the quality issue out......good to see some action occuring....well, everyone else, Ron and I have thrown out the challenge! Who else is going to rise to it? :)

Deadline: for images Midnight UK time - 1st March 2004???

The Image Suite

Sorry, to put it correctly I didn't download them but copy them using the task bar which appears as you 'mouse' over the top left hand corner of the image. Resolution there and back 72 dpi.

Ron [uK]