WnSoft Forums

Windows 8 - Old Slide shows [SOLVED]

JudyKay

Is this something anyone discussed before? Many of my older slide shows sometimes (inconsistently) freeze when I hit the Esc key. The only way out is through the Task Manager. I haven't tested this much, but has anyone else encountered this?

This only occurs on my Win 8 computers - both fairly high-end a desktop and a laptop. XP and Win 7 don't seem to be a problem--yes I still run an old XP machine. I don't currently have Vista (thankfully) on any machine handy, so I don't know about that. Old programs that had a "Run" window seem to escape this problem. I am not sure of PTE versions, but seems to be EXE's created about 2008 or before.

If it is worthwhile I can fiddle more with it.

I worry some that these files may someday not be view-able, and I have no way to recreate many of them. My bad for not backing everything up to Zip files.

jk

... Many of my older slide shows sometimes (inconsistently) freeze when I hit the Esc key. The only way out is through the Task Manager. I haven't tested this much, but has anyone else encountered this?

I did not, but all I could fine was an example created with v.5.11 in 2008, and another one with v.5.6 in 2009. On my system (win8-64, i7, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX660) they behave well. BTW: For each PTE project I always keep the images and several versions of the project file in a separate folder. So, once and again I create new versions of my exe-files.

Regards,

Xaver

Here is a link to a very small show which behaves this way. The results seem inconsistent to me. Here is what happens:

1. Occasionally the show will freeze when ending--but usually it exits correctly.

2. When hitting ESC to end the show early (after about 15 seconds), maybe 1X out of 5 it will freeze.

One thing unique about the show uploaded is show is that it uses desktop fade in and out, although I have the same issue with some other shows which do not use fade-in fade-out.

jk

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2816790/Laoshi-Tiaowu.zip

I am testing on this machine:

Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

System Model: Studio XPS 9100

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 12288MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 12278MB RAM

Page File: 4535MB used, 9470MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 32bit Unicode

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68B8)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68B8&SUBSYS_25431002&REV_00

Display Memory: 4095 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1006 MB

Shared Memory: 3089 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Dell ST2420L(Analog)

Monitor Model: DELL ST2420L

Monitor Id: DELA066

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Output Type: HD15

Native virus protection MS security Essentials

The Esc button works for me, but the transition to the desktop sometimes freezes. Is it version 4.x?

Regards,

Xaver

I don't remember what version and I am not sure how to determine that from the EXE file. The creation date stamp is Sep '05.

Guest Yachtsman1

I don't remember what version and I am not sure how to determine that from the EXE file. The creation date stamp is Sep '05.

I think it was Stu who told us how to determine an old exe version, do a menu construction using your current version. (just one show), try to add the old show & you get an error telling you which version the old show was built in & to update it :unsure:/> :unsure:/> :unsure:/> , I think :unsure:/>/>

Yachtsman1.

I think it was Stu who told us how to determine an old exe version, do a menu construction using your current version. (just one show), try to add the old show & you get an error telling you which version the old show was built in & to update it :unsure:/>/> :unsure:/>/> :unsure:/>/> , I think :unsure:/>/>/>

Yachtsman1.

Great idea and it almost works. This is what I get:

post-2827-0-52168900-1374907517_thumb.jp

Guest Yachtsman1

Great idea and it almost works. This is what I get:

It did work last time I tried it, however, just tried to re-create the test & I didn't even get the error & the old show ran without the desk top flash-back??? I'm using PTE7.07, W7 with up-dates current. The only error I got was when I used an old show from someone else & the "Do you want to run" message appeared, clicked yes & the show opened without any problems, this was a 4-3 from 2011.???

Yachtsman1. :blink:/> :blink:/> :blink:/>

Judy,

I apologize for this problem!

Your slideshow Laoshi-Tiaowu.exe was created in version 4.43 Beta (this version is dated by March 2005).

There was a problem in version 4.4x with sound and shows had a problem with exit in Windows Vista/7/8.

Since version 4.49 this problem is solved (December 2007). Version 5.0+ also doesn't have this problem (June 2007).

I published a convertor for old shows created in versions 4.40-4.48 to patch EXE files with slideshows in December 2007:

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/picturestoexe/previous-versions/pte449patch.zip

Regrettably in case of Laoshi-Tiaowu.exe it doesn't help, because I didn't include support of beta versions. If EXE file is created in 4.40-4.48 it should work. Please try it with other files.

I manually recovered Laoshi-Tiaowu.exe

In v4.49:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27544810/temp/Laoshi-Tiaowu_449.exe

In 7.5.10 (without transition effect from desktop):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27544810/temp/Laoshi-Tiaowu_7510.exe

Judy,

I apologize for this problem!

Your slideshow Laoshi-Tiaowu.exe was created in version 4.43 Beta (this version is dated by March 2005).

There was a problem in version 4.4x with sound and shows had a problem with exit in Windows Vista/7/8.

Since version 4.49 this problem is solved (December 2007). Version 5.0+ also doesn't have this problem (June 2007).

I published a convertor for old shows created in versions 4.40-4.48 to patch EXE files with slideshows in December 2007:

http://www.wnsoft.com/files/picturestoexe/previous-versions/pte449patch.zip

Regrettably in case of Laoshi-Tiaowu.exe it doesn't help, because I didn't include support of beta versions. If EXE file is created in 4.40-4.48 it should work. Please try it with other files.

I manually recovered Laoshi-Tiaowu.exe

In v4.49:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27544810/temp/Laoshi-Tiaowu_449.exe

In 7.5.10 (without transition effect from desktop):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27544810/temp/Laoshi-Tiaowu_7510.exe

I was able to patch quite a few files. Thank you very much!

jk