WnSoft Forums

Improved Fade effect

Igor

If it can be interesting, you can try new optimization of Fade in/out effect.

We've added this code in beta #7 in test mode, this improvement will work in the next version by default. I will glad to hear how it works on your PCs now.

If you want to test it, please close all running copies of PicturesToExe, then open apr.ini file in PicturesToExe's folder and after line:

pte_SoundInitDir=

add new string:

opt_FastFade=1

Now PTE will produce .exe files with much more smooth Fade effect. It will

work in 2-3 times (on 100-200 percents) more smoothly than in earlier versions.

Many thanks Igor! :D

Sounds wonderful - I look forward to using this very soon.

Hope you received the CDs OK?

Best wishes

Maureen

Wow thanks so much for this Igor :D:P:lol:

After implementing this change, I find that on shows with 1024x768 images under 200 KB all trace of flickering is completely gone now, for the first time, on my old 500 MHz PIII system. There had been a slight trace of flicker on my system until now, but no more, now my shows are absolutely smooth! I've never seen anything like this on my computer before :lol::lol::lol:

The improvement is particularly noticeable when fading to a full-screen image from a completely black screen; that is a very tough test for flickering, I've discovered with many AV programs, and this revision to PTE passes that test with flying colours, something I've never seen before on this system (but I repeat myself ;) )

Amazing! Thanks again Igor and company!

Yes Igor, I can perceive a visible improvement with my old Pentium II 450 (even if the long fadings are not yet perfectly smooth from the black to the light colours - perhaps also because of the poor Intel 740 8MB video card?). A little improvement can be observed also with my "new" AMD 2500+ (perfect transitions, even better than earlier).

A very good work, thanks!

Thanks Igor. A short intro sequence which I had prepared for a forthcoming show had a slight flicker. I was preparing to do a bit of tweeking within the next couple of days. With your latest string all is now smooth.

Ron [uK]

Igor,

I think that the new fade is great!!! And I like the "apply first transition from desktop", too.

But you've set a high bar for yourself. Do you think you could make the push and slide transitions much smoother, too? Those really do need work at this point.

Also, the issue of using these effects to allow pushing/sliding a picture element (such as text) is still open, too. Right now, it pretty much won't work exept with solid backgrounds. In earlier posts, you discussed maybe not pushing/sliding the background. However, if you implement that, you also need to give us more options (other than tiling) for the background picture! We'd need an option to center it without tiling or to expand it to the screen size (which are the options we now have for the main image).

You do great work, Igor. Keep it up!

Harold

Pushing of a main picture only is  *a very difficult* effect. But, of course, it will be added as soon as it will be possible!

Igor,

I assume that you read about my alternative thought of transitioning a transparent GIF or a non-transparent JPEG (that are smaller sized than the existing picture) ONTO an existing picture.

Just fruit for thought -- I think it might significantly enlarge PTE's scope if you were able to include this type of transition. We'd finally have the ability to do real builds! But I DO realize that this would probably be a major piece of work.

Harold

Igor,

Improvement very visible : I had problems with some fades when viewing a big show at 1024 x 768 and now all is perfect.

I’ll wait patiently for push improvements: I too think that without the possibility to maintain the background picture, this effect is loosing an important part of its interest

Pushing of a main picture only is *a very difficult* effect

I can understand very well this issue. PTE has been conceived for an optimal quality of still images. Push (and slide) effect is for us the first type of transition where images do move on the screen, and this can explain the problems with these effects.

Once solved them satisfactorily, I think it will be not too difficult to introduce other moving transitions like panning, zooming, rotating and so on. Do you agree, Igor?