WnSoft Forums

In and around Birmingham

morturn

Once upon a time I was a Photoshop user and I seem to remember a feature which allowed you to "Extract Video Frames to Layers".

Using this you could extract X number of frames from a video clip at a specified interval.

I don't know how feasible it would be to extract the necessary frames and export them in a way in which they could be used to produce a similar effect??

I think that IF it were possible it would mean far less wear and tear on a DSLR shutter? Shoot 15fps and extract one out of every 15?

Any Photoshop users able to comment? Is there a limit on the number of layers? Could the Layers then be automatically saved as individual JPEGs?

DG

Dave

That does seem to work, have just tested it on a short piece of video file. How it will work with very many layer to export I do not yet know, but it worth a go.

This is the article http://www.designeasy.co/2012/12/extract-images-from-video-clips-in.html

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Lin it's a Panasonic FZ150 Bridge, now over 2 years old & superseded by the FZ200 or maybe a newer one still. I've been in touch a couple of time with Panasonic suggesting add ons or improvements but they aren't interested. I'm still of the opinion the "burst" feature is the way to go with this camera, maybe Tom knows, he had the same camera.

Eric

Yachtsman1

attachicon.giftl3.jpg

Hi Eric,

You can buy a intervalometer type device for your FZ-150 camera. I might buy one myself since it's higher quality than my security camera.

Here is one that is not too expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Control-PANASONIC-MagicFiber-Microfiber/dp/B0049IOPFK/

Just have to figure out how to join all the .jpg files into a video. I think I can do it with ffmpeg command line and probably Quicktime Pro.Not sure if I want to buy/rent Adobe. It would be nice if PTE had a multiple jpg to video converter. I know I could make separate slides with short duration but the slideshow would be very big.

Tom

Hi Eric,

You can buy a intervalometer type device for your FZ-150 camera. I might buy one myself since it's higher quality than my security camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Control-PANASONIC-MagicFiber-Microfiber/dp/B0049IOPFK/

Just have to figure out how to join all the .jpg files into a video. I think I can do it with ffmpeg command line and probably Quicktime Pro.Not sure if I want to buy/rent Adobe. It would be nice if PTE had a multiple jpg to video converter. I know I could make separate slides with short duration but the slideshow would be very big.

Tom

Tom:

"way back when" (PTE ver 3?) I did make a "time lapse" of sorts a very rudimentary one of Bumble Bees in tune to the Flight of the Bumble Bees. I used very small files (about 50kb) , 275 in one minute.

PTE barely coped with it, but it did run.

I expect PTE 8 is somewhat more robust ! :)

Hi Lin,

Ordered the intervalometer for my FZ-150. Also AC battery adapter so I can really long time lapse.

FFmpeg command line will do what I want until I get more experience.

http://andrius.miasnikovas.lt/2013/01/quick-tip-easy-time-lapse-videos-with-ffmpeg/

Thanks,

Tom

Tom:

"way back when" (PTE ver 3?) I did make a "time lapse" of sorts a very rudimentary one of Bumble Bees in tune to the Flight of the Bumble Bees. I used very small files (about 50kb) , 275 in one minute.

PTE barely coped with it, but it did run.

I expect PTE 8 is somewhat more robust ! :)

Hi Jim,

Yes. Importing video in PTE 8 makes it much easier to create time lapse.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Tom

Hi Tom

Checked out Amazon UK but the one I found isn't exactly the same as yours?

BTW anyone know the difference between time lapse & stop motion, we really should start a new thread for this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JJC-TM-D-Multi-Function-Panasonic-Cameras-/dp/B00I42JRZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405202372&sr=8-1&keywords=Remote+Control+Shutter+for+PANASONIC

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

Time-lapse is a series of photographs at pre determined intervals, stop motion is animated objects, that are photographed, then moved ever so slightly, then photographed again. the film is then played at normal speed. Wallis and Gromett are typical stop motion films.

I have done this in PTE and it works remarkable well, ill try and dig it out.

OK have found this now and uploaded it to slidshow club. So it seems I can upload, Ill give my time-lapse a try now.

Time-lapse is a series of photographs at pre determined intervals, stop motion is animated objects, that are photographed, then moved ever so slightly, then photographed again. the film is then played at normal speed. Wallis and Gromett are typical stop motion films.

I have done this in PTE and it works remarkable well, ill try and did it out.

Moturn, I guess mine was more "Stop motion", a very rudimentary one.

Guest Yachtsman1

I have done this in PTE and it works remarkable well, ill try and did it out.

Thanks, I understand now.

Tom

I traced the manufacturer of the item from Amazon & checked their web site, they mention the FZ100 but not the FZ150. I know your add said 150 but AUK doesn't. The link to the manufacturer is http://www.jjc.cc/products_info.asp?id=62&cid=0&pid=1&s_series=TMSeries

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

My manufacturer, Harbortronics in Fort Collins sent me this:

=====================

Hi Lin,

Nice to hear from you! Ahhh, the good-ol CP990.... one of my favorite cameras of all time.

The FZ150 does appear to have a shutter release connection, and we can make a cable to control it from our DigiSnap controllers. I have to be honest though, for short term time-lapse (i.e. a day), there are some really cheap chinese intervalometers that would work fine, and cost next to nothing. Our niche is now long term time-lapse, where the DigiSnap has some advantages.

All the best,

Mark

==================

With that said - I think you can rest assured that the one Tom points to will work fine with your camera.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks, I understand now.

Tom

I traced the manufacturer of the item from Amazon & checked their web site, they mention the FZ100 but not the FZ150. I know your add said 150 but AUK doesn't. The link to the manufacturer is http://www.jjc.cc/products_info.asp?id=62&cid=0&pid=1&s_series=TMSeries

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

It looks the same to me. On the amazon.com site it mentions the FZ-150.

http://www.amazon.com/JJC-TM-D-Multi-Function-Control-Panasonic/dp/B00I42JRZU

Tom

It has a shutter release connection - that's all that's necessary. The intervalometer simply actuates that release as programmed. To be compatible the camera simply has to have the release.

You might want to check with Panasonic or check your documentation and see about the type of shutter on your camera. My first impression is that it has both a mechanical and electronic shutter. It has to have an electronic shutter to do video, but whether that shutter can be actuated for stills and if so at what aperture, etc., are relevant questions to avoid undue wear and tear. I "think" you can select the electronic shutter or mechanical shutter. If so, then you will definitely want to use the electronic shutter for time lapse photography.

Regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin

When I moved from DSLR I first bought a Canon bridge, but I wasn't happy with it sent it back to Amazon & bought the Panasonic, which Tom had just got one & showed some good quality video. I also bought a cheepo Chinese wired shutter release despite lots of warnings of mixed results, the worst being the connection to the camera falling apart & becoming jammed in the camera socket. This morning I have checked out my cheepo release which I haven't used for over 12 months & it has a mini jack connection, so it would appear to be similar to Tom's find but without the multi-function timer arrangement, I has a simple press or press & slide button which I assume is similar to "bulb" on a conventional DSLR. The times I have used my release, it operated OK, but whether it operates a mechanical or electronic shutter I don't know, however as it is possible to turn off the shutter noise I would assume it's purely electronic. One of the reasons it hasn't had much use, it doesn't operate the video record. When bought it there was a series of Youtube tutorials by Graham Houghton on its use & he advocated glueing a small false jewel to the video button which is recessed below the body & difficult to operate, which I did, but it fell off after a few operations, as did the other mod I made which was a home made eye-cup to prevent my specs being scratched by the hard surface surrounding the electronic viewfinder. Both of these ideas I passed on to Panasonic, but have obviously fell on deaf ears as the FZ200 which a neighbour has, came out without them. My wife's Fuji SL1000 has a soft eyepiece. I look forward to Toms report on his buy but fear it may not operate the video function on the FZ150 :(.

Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Eric,

The FZ150 does have a video miniature effect mode that speeds up video 10 x normal. Probably better for shutter too since it's electronic. I should have the intervalometer in a week or two.

Youtube has plenty of examples.

Tom

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

That looks pretty good, if a little fast, don't know if it's adjustable? I also keep meaning to try the High Speed video which records at 220 FPS which I believe produces slow motion action when run through at normal speed, think it's used to analyse golf shots. Did you find if your timer operates the video function on the FZ150?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Just have to figure out how to join all the .jpg files into a video.

Tom

Hi Tom

Check your manual,

"

• Motion pictures will be recorded in the Motion JPEG format. Use the “QuickTime” or

“PHOTOfunSTUDIO” software on the CD-ROM (supplied) to play back motion pictures on a

computer.

• Audio is not recorded.

• Motion picture can be recorded continuously for up to 2 GB.

• The focus, zoom, exposure and White Balance is fixed to the value at the beginning of the

recording motion picture.

• Under fluorescent lighting, flicker or horizontal bars may be seen.

Guest Yachtsman1

. Did you find if your timer operates the video function on the FZ150?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Just checked my wired remote again, & it will operate the video function if you set the mode dial to video. :huh:

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

I also keep meaning to try the High Speed video which records at 220 FPS which I believe produces slow motion action when run through at normal speed, think it's used to analyse golf shots.

Found a demo of HS video on Youtubefrom the FZ150 & wasn't very impressed, the slow motion function in Video Pad seemed to give better results, however my free VP has expired so until I can find something similar for free, I will KC&CO, or as they said in WW2 Keep calm & carry on. :rolleyes:

Yachtsman1.

I tried the FZ150 miniature video mode today. It has an integrated tilt-shift (blur) feature that can be adjusted but not completely eliminated (as far as I can tell). A couple things I have noticed. It takes a long time to capture video. Approximately 10 minutes for every 1 minute of video. Also it is important to have a steady tripod. And smooth pan is very difficult. I think it has potential for clouds and looking down long sections of road where there is a lot of motion.

Tom

Ok, well I still cannot upload this show to Slideshow Club, so for the time being, I have uploaded it to dropbox

This is the link; https://www.dropbox.com/s/tpljaw7czz2evdd/In%20and%20%20around%20Birmingham.zip

Enjoy

David,

I also tried uploading your show to slideshowclub and it failed twice. We will have to investigate what is going on. The system should accept files of around 225 MB with no issues.

Stay tuned,

Bill

Guest Yachtsman1

Tom & anyone else interested in this off shoot.

Got a reply from the timer company this morning.

Q:
Hi could you advise if the JJC TM-D Multi-Function Timer Remote Control is compatible with the Panasonic FZ150.
A:
Dear Eric,
Thank you for being interested in our product. Our TM-D is compatible with the Panasonic FZ150. If you have any questions else, please feel free to contact us.

------------------
Best Regards,
Phoebe Lee
Customer Service Department
Shenzhen JinJiaCheng Photography Equipment Co., Ltd.
Regards Eric
Yachtsman1. :)