WnSoft Forums

In and around Birmingham

morturn

Hi Tom,

My Canon SX50 HS has exactly the same feature with the same annoyance. They have blur at the top and bottom of the screen which can't be eliminated so this, in my opinion, excludes them from serious use for time lapse creation via the 10x speed video because it's apparently designed to simulate a toy or model capture.

Best regards,

Lin

I tried the FZ150 miniature video mode today. It has an integrated tilt-shift (blur) feature that can be adjusted but not completely eliminated (as far as I can tell). A couple things I have noticed. It takes a long time to capture video. Approximately 10 minutes for every 1 minute of video. Also it is important to have a steady tripod. And smooth pan is very difficult. I think it has potential for clouds and looking down long sections of road where there is a lot of motion.

Tom

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Lin,

It would be so easy for the camera to make the blur optional. My made in China intervalometer should be here soon. I definitely need to get a fluid head for my manfrotto tripod for smooth video pans! Also testing Mercalli video stabilizer software for hand held video using a camera pistol grip. Too much fun.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yes, I just wonder what they were thinking - it would be, I think, a far more useful feature for the time-lapse purpose than for miniature simulations. I suspect the Japanese think differently than westerners. They are enthralled with things like godsilla and such so this may reflect that attitude.

I tried Mercalli and it works very well as stabilizers go, but it takes quite a toll on image quality; so much, in fact, that I decided to use a tripod for all my videos to avoid having to use Mercalli or any other stabilizer.

Best regards,

Lin

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Lin,

It would be so easy for the camera to make the blur optional. My made in China intervalometer should be here soon. I definitely need to get a fluid head for my manfrotto tripod for smooth video pans! Also testing Mercalli video stabilizer software for hand held video using a camera pistol grip. Too much fun.

Tom

Hi Tom

Don't forget to turn off the motion de-blur when using a tripod.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Hi Lin & Eric,

A steadicam device is probably a better solution than stabilization software. I don't know how to force electronic shutter in the FZ150 except to use video capture which limits me to 1080p. Maybe I will use the mechanical shutter and hope it doesn't wear out. I will disable OIS in the camera when it's on the tripod.

Thanks,

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I haven't read the other comments, but it looks this show has some good response.

I'm familiar to timelapse and have done quite a few my selves.

I do not know your workflow, but mine would probably have been done using Photoshop and PTE.

Photoshop for mass editing the pictures with actions.

And I would probably have done the timelapse scenes separately with PTE, and brought them (the timelapse video scenes) back again to PTE for the final show.

Ps. I do have the 7D and the 6D.

And for my 7D I have already had one repair of both shutter and mirror mechanisms because of my timelapse and birds shooting...

• 1 month later...
Guest Yachtsman1

I tried the FZ150 miniature video mode today. It has an integrated tilt-shift (blur) feature that can be adjusted but not completely eliminated (as far as I can tell). A couple things I have noticed. It takes a long time to capture video. Approximately 10 minutes for every 1 minute of video. Also it is important to have a steady tripod. And smooth pan is very difficult. I think it has potential for clouds and looking down long sections of road where there is a lot of motion.

Tom

Hi Tom

Bid on the timer & won, £11 in UK money :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271613688896?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Tom

New/used timer arrived today, no box or manual but I downloaded one from the internet. Gave it a brief try in the camera, operates OK with the camera set on "Intelligent Auto" even though the timer manual says set the camera to manual, so that's a bonus, just need a nice sunset now. :rolleyes:

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Eric,

Cool. Clouds are fun to shoot. It takes a long time to capture the images for time lapse.

Have fun!

Tom

Hi Tom

Just had another read of the manual & the thread, I'm going to try a one second interval between shots, with a maximum of 399 shots that should take around 13 minutes for a six minute sequence, depends on the clouds of course, tonight was a little bland maybe nearer the equinox it will improve.

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Tom

Had a play around with the timer & the FZ150 on intelligent auto, started the settings off at 1 second delay, 1 second bulb & 1 second interval with a nominal amount in the number of firings setting. The camera shutter only fired once. Tried increasing to settings to two seconds, still the same. Worked my way up to 5 seconds with only 1 firing. Then zeroed the bulb interval & bingo, multiple firings, does yours react the same way?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.