WnSoft Forums

'Bungee-Retrieval' uploaded to Slideshowclub

goddi

Greetings,

After I posted my previous Bungee-SloMo show, Tom asked how the bungee jumper was retrieved after the jump. I discovered I had a clip of a bungee jump from another angle and it shows how they are retrieved. This is a short video clip of a retrieval. The video is from a Hi8 tape that I digitized so the quality is not very good, but I hope it entertains. It is a good thing that they don't just drop them off at the bottom with the crocodiles!

While creating this show, I learned a bit more for presenting videos by using the Video and Border menu. It was very helpful in trimming off the fuzzy edges that you get when you digitize Hi8 tape (at least it happened to me). smile.png

Gary

Gary

Can't you get rid of the fuzzy edges in the O&A section of PTE?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1.

Eric,

Yes, the 'Adjust Video and Borders' is in the O&A menu. Using its 'Canvas Size', I could bring in the bottom border to hide the bit of fuzzy line the conversion to digital process creates; and I could bring in the left and right borders to hide the black strips also created with the digitizing of the Hi8 tapes. Very useful. See attached.

Gary

post-1794-0-50988900-1409780005_thumb.jp

Hi Gary,

The retrieval process looks more dangerous than the jumping to me. It would be cool if the jumper had a gopro hero pointed straight down during the jump.

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Gary,

The retrieval process looks more dangerous than the jumping to me. It would be cool if the jumper had a gopro hero pointed straight down during the jump.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Yes, that would have been very cool...but a miracle since the GoPro had not been invented yet. When I took the video, my Hi8 was pretty much the best quality video. Even before that, I had the RCA system where you basically carried around a VCR in a backpack with a cable going to the camera. I lugged that system around in China and the Galapagos. Boy...has technology changed!!! Just look at what we can do now with PTE!!!!!! :)

Gary

Hi Guys,

Today, the retrieval process doesn't usually involve a second person being lowered down. There are several methods. If the waters are amenable, a boat on the river allows the jumper to be gently lowered into it and the crew removes the bungee and it's hoisted back up. The harness and such is returned later via the crew. If the river is not amenable to this, the person is simply winched back up and when they reach the jump point are pulled in and turned upright by the jump crew. In some cases they right themselves depending on the equipment so that they can return to the jump point in the upright position. Here in Colorado we have one of the highest bungee jumps in the world at the Royal Gorge Bridge.http://10mosttoday.com/10-highest-bungee-jumps-in-the-world/

Best regards.

:om

Hi Guys,

Today, the retrieval process doesn't usually involve a second person being lowered down. There are several methods. If the waters are amenable, a boat on the river allows the jumper to be gently lowered into it and the crew removes the bungee and it's hoisted back up. The harness and such is returned later via the crew. If the river is not amenable to this, the person is simply winched back up and when they reach the jump point are pulled in and turned upright by the jump crew. In some cases they right themselves depending on the equipment so that they can return to the jump point in the upright position. Here in Colorado we have one of the highest bungee jumps in the world at the Royal Gorge Bridge.http://10mosttoday.com/10-highest-bungee-jumps-in-the-world/

Best regards.

:om

Lin, I see that there the 'higher' jump places in the world to bungee jump. But I am wondering if the actual jumping lengths (length of the bungee cords) are the same (for safety). For me, where I might land if the rope breaks is pretty important too..like crocodiles?. I just found this site. Pretty scary. In my video, it looks like the bungee cord is pretty frayed. Not sure if it is just the poor video or it really was in bad shape. :o

I've done the Zambezi white water rafting, twice. But bungee jumping??? No way! Take a look at the video here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/9009939/Bungee-jumps-at-Victoria-Falls-suspended-after-tourist-plunged-into-Zambezi-River.html

Bungee jumps at Victoria Falls suspended after tourist plunged into Zambezi River A Zimbabwean tourism company has suspended bungee jumps at Victoria Falls while they investigate an accident in which a tourist plunged into the Zambezi River, a spokesman has confirmed.

I just looked for some more current YouTube videos and I am amazed at what they are doing now at Victoria Falls. Now they have added zip lines and bridge swings. The equipment looks a lot safer now than when we were there in 1997. But things can still happen....

Hi Gary,

It was a 22 year old girl who was jumping when the bungee cord broke - she ended up in the river, but wasn't badly injured. Actually, the operators of the jump have invited her back for another free jump and she may do it from the last I heard of the situation.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/woman-survives-plunge-after-bungee-line-snaps-video/

No, the cords are not the same length for all jumps. The last jumpers at the Royal Gorge had an 800 foot fall. The actual height of the bridge floor to the Arkansas River at normal flow height is 1053 feet according to the most accurate measurements but has been variously quoted at 955 feet and 1053 feet so even assuming the lesser of the heights, the 800 foot fall had 155 feet to spare.

I've been to the Royal Gorge Bridge literally a hundred or more times. The Bungee jump isn't a public available thing like it was at Victoria. Only a few jumpers have been licensed to jump there. Last year a terrible fire destroyed a lot of the surrounding structures and took out over 30 of the wooden planks which make up the bridge floor. When I first began going to the Bridge back in the 50's anyone could drive across it in their own vehicles which we did several times. Later they only allowed foot traffic and now they have "tour" vehicles which take people across. The structures are being repaired, and everything "should" be back in opperation by the middle of this month or at least by early October. There is great zip line at the canyon - that's a real treat - one of them is over 1700 feet long and there are a total of 20 zip lines. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.royalgorgerafting.net/colorado-rafting-trips.php#ZL?_oskwdid=13272474&_engineadid=37085544096

Best regards,

Lin