WnSoft Forums

Virtual Size of Slide

David Porter

Can somebody explain what "Virtual Size of Slide" in Project Options/Screen does. I have recently been changing the default setting of 1200 x 800 for a 3 x 2 format to 1620 x 1080, the size I have cropped my slides to. It does not seem to do anything except when I play an MP4 via USB on my TV I cannot get it to show in the 3 x 2 format on the TV screen. Reverting back to 1200 x 800 seems to solve the problem but it would be nice to understand what it does.

Mickp

Mick,

In general, the "Virtual Size of Slide" should be based on your Monitor Resolution or the intended output resolution - TV or Projector.

If you are using 3x2 images in a project intended to be shown on a TV try using a 16x9 (1920x1080) virtual size of slide and superimposing your 3x2 images onto that AR.

If you are zooming then you might need a mask to curtail the 3x2 images from bleeding into the 16x9 format.

Nothing more than a Black 16x9 image with a 1620x1080 hole cut into the middle. I would then use a white or grey line on the 1620x1080 portion to give a separation between the image and the mask.

Make your MP4 16x9 - 1920x1080 and you will have no AR problems.

DG

The "Virtual Size" has been introduced when WnSoft decided to cancel the so-called "Original Mode". First of all, the virtual size defines the aspect ratio of your show. Secondly, it defines the resolution basis (reference value) for the Size/position tool in the O&A window. It defines which image size exactly is to cover the screen if you choose 100% in the Original mode tab of this tool. This is stuff for people who want to define very precise positioning of images with respect to a particular resolution of the final destination device (monitor or projector).

Regards,

jt

If you are using 3x2 images in a project intended to be shown on a TV try using a 16x9 (1920x1080) virtual size of slide and superimposing your 3x2 images onto that AR.

If you are zooming then you might need a mask to curtail the 3x2 images from bleeding into the 16x9 format ....

I would recommend to run the project at the appropriate AR (here 3:2). Then you do not need to use masks. When creating the video at 1920x1080, just disable Pan&Scan.

BTW: The virtual size of slide ( a concept that has not been sufficiently explained in the Online Help :) ) should not have any influence on the creation of videos, provided that the AR is OK.

Regards,

jt

Mick

Do you have a reason for retaining the 3:2 aspect ratio you get from your camera. The reason I ask is that your question may be a little easier to understand if you standardized your slide shows on your screen aspect ratio/TV etc . I will assume that is 1920*1080 - 16:9 aspect ratio. I am pretty good at using all the space I have in my own images, yet the vast majority of what I shoot does fit comfortably into the 16:9 aspect ratio. They crop pretty well, most of the time, certainly 95% of the time.

Think of the virtual size of the slide label differently. Convert it in your head to say. What aspect Ratio and pixel size do I want my slide show to be?

By adjusting this pixels in those two boxes, you determine an aspect ratio too. So if you add 1920*1080 into those two fields and then look at Project Options > Main tab. You will see the aspect ratio of 16:9 is created from the pixel value you entered in virtual size of slide.

So, it's simply the size of the slide show that you want to make in pixels.

If this doesn't complicate things more. Suppose you had a need for a square slide show. You could enter 1080*1080 into the virtual size of slide, because that would be telling the software what the pixel size of your slide show is and at the same time setting the square aspect ratio/format.

Not sure if this helps or hinders :) ,

Hi Barry,

I recently visited Tuscany and visited a number of old towns with tall buildings and not much space around, so cropping top and bottom is not an option, plus I like 3 x 2 format. I do understand about format and pixels. I first set up Aspect Ratio "3 x 2" Project Options/Main. This then defaults to 1200 x 800 pixels in Project Options/Screen which previously I was happy to accept and if I wanted to view on the TV via the usb port then the show displayed in 3 x 2 format with black bands down the sides which was okay by me.

Recently I thought I may be loosing some quality by not entering 1620 x 1080 in Project Options/Screen (the size I crop my slides to) but in doing this I could not get the show to display as 3 x 2 on the TV no matter what I did. Reverting to 1200 x 800 did the trick.

So what I really wanted to know is am I loosing any quality by using 1200 x 800 instead of 1620 x 1080 or are there any other disadvantages.

BTW my photo club, which has a strong A/V section, has a projector at 1400 x 1050 and 1920 x 1080 does not look very good on it.

Thanks for your interest.

Mickp

Guest Yachtsman1

Hi Barry,

I recently visited Tuscany and visited a number of old towns with tall buildings and not much space around, so cropping top and bottom is not an option, plus I like 3 x 2 format. I do understand about format and pixels. I first set up Aspect Ratio "3 x 2" Project Options/Main. This then defaults to 1200 x 800 pixels in Project Options/Screen which previously I was happy to accept and if I wanted to view on the TV via the usb port then the show displayed in 3 x 2 format with black bands down the sides which was okay by me.

So what I really wanted to know is am I loosing any quality by using 1200 x 800 instead of 1620 x 1080 or are there any other disadvantages.

Hi Mick

You are probably aware you can't zoom the lower sized image as much as the higher sized one, it will start to pixallate sooner.

Are you ticking the Fix Size of Slide box when the problem happens?

Regards Eric

Yachtsman1

post-5560-0-16446900-1412011881_thumb.jp

Hi Dave,

No I have not as I do not have a problem in achieving a 3 x 2 AR on my TV Screen - I do it by using the default pixel setting in Project Options/screen of 1200 x 800. I only have a problem if I use 1620 x 1080 (my slide sizes) so I am asking what difference there is in using the different figures - if none then I shall I have no problem, if there is a reason like loss in quality, I will have a go at your suggestion.

thanks,

Mickp

You are upscaling from 800 high to 1080 high so theoretically there is a loss which you might not see unless you have a side by side comparison. The 1620x1080 images are irrelevant - you will have reduced those to 1200x800 when you made the mp4. You don't get that back.

I think that was the answer I was looking for although how does Eric's point about increasing the pixel size of photos that one might want to heavily zoom. In that case if producing an NMP4 this would have no effect. Anyway I will do a trial and let you know how I get on.

Mickp

Think of the Zooming requirements in terms of your Project Size.

In a 1920x1080 Project you need 3840x2160 to get a 2:1 (200%) Zoom but the maximum pixels on screen at any one time are never greater than 1920x1080.

If you then reduce that 1920x1080 Project to a smaller size the Zoom is taken care of (proportionally) but you never get back to 1920x1080 on the TV without losses (artifacts), however small.

DG