WnSoft Forums

Replacement Files for Jean-Cyprien's Rubik's Cube Style....

Lin Evans

In the process of making one of my last experimental shows, I used a very dark background for Jean-Cyprien's Rubik Cube style. Jean used a special type of PNG file - an "Indexed Color" file for his miroircadre.png file which allows transparency like a regular PNG file but only has 256 colors like a GIF file to create the beautiful gold mirror frame which reflects the rubik cube in a bed of clouds. I suspect he used this format because the file size is small compared to an RGB PNG file which has the full complement of available colors, but the Indexed Color format doesn't allow using the blur tool to "smooth" the edges of the image. I found a few places where the transparency wasn't perfect outside the gilded frame which showed up along with the somewhat ragged pixel edges which don't show at all on many backgrounds but on a dark background at higher resolution could be improved by smoothing with the blur tool.

I changed the format to an RGB color PNG file, removed the few places where transparency was compromised and smoothed the edges to make a better appearance on high resolution displays. After doing so I noticed that the file Jean used for the clouds inside the frame (miroirtain.png) showed up on the upper left and I modified the file slightly to trim off the small area where it wasn't intended to show. This file is also a tiny Indexed Color format but didn't need any further modification.

I zipped these two files (link below) and anyone who wishes to replace the originals can do so. The style works perfectly with the modified files and looks a bit better against a dark backdrop. There was no significant increase in file size and the load time was not significantly different on my systems.

To replace the files, extract the two files from the zipped archive linked below and copy and paste them replacing the originals. They can be found in C:\documentsandsettings\yourcomputername\mydocuments\picturestoexe\slide styles\{AFCB566A-347A-477A-A60A-C55769F41121}. If you can't find the path, just do a search for miroircadre.png and you should be able to locate it.

http://www.lin-evans.org/pte8/forrubikcube.zip

Best regards,

Lin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lin,

You have done a tremendous job, Lin, and I'm really surpised that no one have yet answered. I'm sure there are a lot of improvements to make to my style (I'm always eager to finish too quickly !) , but the lack of interest (real ?) is not very encouraging.

Best regards