WnSoft Forums

Find Missing Files

I think this may be what the topic "Tool to find links" is suggesting.

If I move my original images in a project around, then PTE is good about showing me the images are missing, but there is no quick and easy way to simply reset the DIR path to where the files have been moved.

The work around is costly. Bring up the Object > Properties and edit the path manually or "browse" one at a time.

This should be a very easy feature to impliment

- As always, thanks for a great product

- R

Guest Yachtsman1

What you are suggesting breaks the basic rule of constructing a PTE slideshow. Ever since I started using the programme in 2007, the basic rule has been, "keep all the files associated with a particular show (Pictures video & audio) in a dedicated folder with the name of that show." It is a common mistake for beginners with the programme to miss this rule, I seem to remember recently suggestions along the lines of what you are suggesting, however, in my opinion if it isn't broken why change it? "Tidy Desk, Tidy Mind."

Yachtsman1.

If I move my original images in a project around, then PTE is good about showing me the images are missing, but there is no quick and easy way to simply reset the DIR path to where the files have been moved.

The work around is costly. Bring up the Object > Properties and edit the path manually or "browse" one at a time.

I think the workaround could be :

Move the .pte file in the new directory where your pictures are.

Modify the pte and save, then move it back to his directory.

Denis

What you are suggesting breaks the basic rule of constructing a PTE slideshow. Ever since I started using the programme in 2007, the basic rule has been, "keep all the files associated with a particular show (Pictures video & audio) in a dedicated folder with the name of that show." It is a common mistake for beginners with the programme to miss this rule, I seem to remember recently suggestions along the lines of what you are suggesting, however, in my opinion if it isn't broken why change it? "Tidy Desk, Tidy Mind."

Yachtsman1.

It's my understanding that this is not a rule, it's simply a convention that some users follow. Some people find it very orderly. Others have different reasons for storing files in another way. PTE, being the brilliant software that it is, allows each user to adopt whatever convention.suits them.

Ken T (aplman)

My way of dealing with this is to use Template.

When a project is completed and "published" and no more work will be done on it, I save a template of it in my dedicated Templates folder. All images, converted video files (always convert) and audio files USED in the project are saved together in one folder along with all of your other projects Templates.

A list of all Templates is available from within PTE so finding a project that you, perhaps, last worked on 5 years ago is simple.

A Template is just like a Backup In Zip (BIZ) without the zip and PTE makes it simple for you to find your Template but you have to do your own DAM with BIZ.

DG

... DAM with BIZ ...

When I look at Wikipedia in order to learn something about DAM and BIZ:

DAM = Deutsches Architekturmuseum / Damascus Airport / Dynamische Amplitudenmodulation / ....

BIZ = Top level domain / Bank für Internationalen Zahlungsausgleich / ...

Regards,

jt