WnSoft Forums

Transfer Problems

canico

I have just bought a new computer and asked the shop to transfer all data. I have found problems in getting my sequences to preview properly - for example the sequence that I was in the process of making has all the slides correctly but the music does not play although the music tracks are correctly listed in the audio section of project options. The wav form does not appear in the timeline.

The sequence I made before the one above has the music playing correctly but no pictures after the title page,each slide has a blue screen with 'image not found'.

Any suggestions as to how to get back to normal will be gratefully received !

Canico

Hi Dave

The pictures are in the F drive on both computers but PTE is looking for them in the C drive.

The error numbers I quoted before for the audio tracks are incorrect and irrelevant - I have just realised that these are the track numbers in the sequence and it is just saying that it is an error.

I have now found the ' image not found' section in the Help files and have been able to use this to re load some pictures but this is a longwinded process - is there any way to do groups of pictures to speed up otherwise it is going to take a long time.

Also is there an equivalent to the 'image not found' process for audio ? I have not been able to find one in Help.

Thank you

Hi Dave (and Igor, if your listening!)

I'm sure you are right, however I think this is yet another example that illustrates the need for some form of built in "analysis feed back tool" from PTE.

I'm not suggesting that there is a sure fast solution to this specific issue but I do believe that if WnSoft were to be seen to be supporting their customers in this way it would only be seen as a service improvement.

It is most frustrating to know that there is lurking within this pile of electronics, solutions to self inflicted problems that could be solved if one had the ability or the tools to sort it out. It is little comfort to be wise after the event.

Cheers,

John

I am sure that a method could be found, like Lightroom for example. You can't make a slide show until you have created a project folder and imported the images, sound and all else into that folder. Or, like a web authoring program that prevents you from using an image that is outside the web file structure.

The trouble is that once the beginner gets over that initial learning curve, solutions like these can then become a pain in the backside

• Like 1

I am sure that a method could be found, like Lightroom for example. You can't make a slide show until you have created a project folder and imported the images, sound and all else into that folder. Or, like a web authoring program that prevents you from using an image that is outside the web file structure.

The trouble is that once the beginner gets over that initial learning curve, solutions like these can then become a pain in the backside

That's one of the more sensible suggestions that I have seen here!

If the images etc must be in the project folder before it can be added to the show it would go a long way toward a proper workflow.

However, it would need something else built in which would prevent removal of images etc from that folder or at least a warning that removal will cause problems.

I suppose we can dream

DG

Hi Barry, Dave,

i think it would be better to suffer a little pain and know all is well early on in the workflow rather than at some later critical stage. Presumably as PTE can tell us that specific items are missing when zipping it could also ask if we want them moved/copied individually or en masse into the master folder? Similarly surely it could be simple to have such a facility switched off or on for those not wishing to make use of it. I can't see that there could be any problem with that.

from my collection

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7766-pte-slide-show/?pid=48400#entry48400

so we have been discussing this problem for years

perhaps we can convince Dave to insert a paragraph at the start of each chapter of the help file

" to avoid problems it has been found that one should start new show, a fresh folder properly named should have ALL info, pictures, music notes etc copied from their existing residence to said folder"

we have advanced past the 500mb hard drive of days gone by!!

ken

Agreed.

It is totally correct to have a workflow as described, whereby all assets are filed as suggested in one location. I personally have learned the hard way,or more accurately am still learning!

However, I suspect that not everybody knows precisely what assets they are going to use before constructing their sequence. My problem is that I find that as the creative juices are flowing I think of other images to use bring them into my sequence forgetting to copy them first into the holding folder.

Very often I am working with a base of from up to a couple of thousand images, originating from several individuals and often coming to me in an erratic timescale making it easy to get careless.

My point remains that if it would be "relatively" easy to build in some sort of safety net then surely that can only enhance the product.

Finally,apologies to Canico as I have totally hijacked his topic which now bares only a passing resemblance to its original subject only in that ,in my view, WnSoft would do itself no harm by paying attention to making itself more user friendly.

Regards

John

I feel quite inspired that I have somehow kicked off a debate between advanced members of this fraternity but I have still not found how to get the music back onto the timeline of my work in progress !

Thank you to all for your interest.

Canico

Canico,

In the attached JPEG the Name of the File and Location where PTE is looking for it are shown.

Presumably you know where the file ACTUALLY is??

Presumably all of the missing files are in the same folder??

Copy and Paste or Move them from where they actually are to where PTE is looking for them and all will be well.

post-2488-0-99759500-1428517225_thumb.jp

DG

Dave

Many thanks for your information. I made the sequence using pictures from my F drive - an external drive - which worked fine until we got a new computer. I have copied the pictures into my C drive but the programme still doesn't recognise the path. I can add the pictures individually using the Change Image File button but it is very time consuming. Is there a way of enabling the programme to find the pictures on the F drive? I'm also puzzled as to why it thinks the pictures were from the C drive at all!

I'm having the same problems with audio - another sequence has pictures but no audio and I can't enter the audio again.

Many thanks

David

If you look at O&A / Properties/ Picture it will tell you exactly where PTE is looking for the pics and can't find them.

THAT is where you need to place the PICS.

If the PICTURE location were to read C/My Pictures / My Holiday/ Picture0001.......

......then Picture0001 needs to be in the My Holiday Folder on C/My Pictures/ and will be recognised.

Once you have them all in place including the Audio, you can look into the use of Templates which will save (copy) all files - Images and Audio - in the Folder of your choice on the drive of your choice.

Thereafter you can open the Project from the Template Folder on the Drive of your choice.

http://docs.picturestoexe.com/en/techniques/templates

DG

canico,

One Simple Alternative :

I made the sequence using pictures from my F drive - an external drive - which worked fine until we got a new computer

If you still have the project files on the External Drive and the new PC does not see it as Drive F ... the PTE file will not find the resource files. In this case senario you can use Windows Computer Management - Disc Management feature and change the External Drive "Drive Letter" to be designated as Drive F.

Another Simple Alternative :

I have copied the pictures into my C drive but the programme still doesn't recognise the path.

If the PTE resource files now permanently reside on your new PC-Drive C and all the project resource files reside in a single folder ... you can copy the PTE Project File to that same single folder. Now open the copied PTE Project File from that folder ... PTE should now see the missings resource files. Once you verify the missing files are no longer missing ... SAVE the copied PTE Project File. Close and Open the PTE Project File again to verify.

You should now delete the original PTE Project FIle (not the saved copy) because its no longer needed or useful. You can move the saved copy file to wherever you store your PTE Project Files. You cannot move the single folder of resource files because you will be back to where you began ... missing files.