WnSoft Forums

Locking slides to timeline

JEB

Hi Folks,

I wondered if there was any way of locking a slide to a fixed point on the timeline. I know you can link an audio clip to a slide but that’s not quite the same thing. I would like to be able to position (and lock) several slides to specific points on a master timeline and then insert a variable number of additional slides between these locked slides.

Any ideas?

John

When the "Time points" case is ticked, you can move each view by its number, et only this view,all  the other being locked.

Is it what you need ?

(Unfortunately it's not possible to move more than one view each time)

PS My mistake : it is possible to choise several view by cliking on the views with the CTRL or Shift keys

If you lock all the tracks (CTRL + L) all the sound tracks are locked but also the view track. Then it's still possible to do what you want by pressing the CTRL key

ViewLocked.jpg

You could try splitting you're show into a number of sections? (Smaller show's).

The start of each section would be governed by (equal to) the Timeline position of the first "fixed slide" and the end of each section governed by the position/time of the next "fixed slide". The "next fixed slide" would be the start of the next sub section etc.

When your happy with each of the sections just copy and paste into the "master" show.

Phil

Hi Jean-Cyprian,

Thank you for the time you have taken to respond to my question.

I don’t think I have explained myself clearly.

I have several clips of a video (showing musicians playing instruments) contained in masks within several slides. These particular (video) slides are interspersed with still image slides. All slides are carefully synchronised to the music taken from the original video and contained on a separate audio track within PTE. The audio will eventually be muted on the video clip within each slide, though it is useful during the build work. The music has a very strong rhythm which lends itself to accurate and rapid placement of the interspersed still images (approximately 300 images I’m guessing). I am finding that any timing adjustment carried out with the still images affects the placement and therefore synchronisation of the video containing slides that follow. Were it possible therefor to LOCK these particular slides to the timeline life would be much easier! What I am having to do is take careful note of the positions of these slides and adjust them manually as necessary.

I had just hoped that there was a function that I was not aware of that might have made life easier but alas not so.

C’est la vie.

Regards

John

PS - Phil, your post has come in while I have been composing this reply. Yes I did think of that and may well end up adopting that procedure. I tend to get carried away with the creative juices rather than thinking it through properly!

Cheers

John

What I want to be able to do is to temporally LOCK certain slides to specific locations on the timeline so that whatever may be added or removed before that point the LOCKED slide will STAY at that point. It's simply an editing aid.

To some extent I'm surprised this hasn't come up in the past as it seems to me that it may be a useful facility.

John

Actually, I haven't as I have been away from my machine. I will this evening. On reading it remotely from PTE I thought it wasn't what I was looking for. Sorry about that. I will get back to you in a few hours. 

Regards

john

You can right click on the Timeline anywhere between the two slides that you want to maintain the positions of and "Insert a Blank Slide" as many times as you want without moving the previous or next slides. You can add you're images in O&A or by right click on the slide and "Change Image File".

It does not LOCK the position of any slides but goes part way toward what you want to do.

Phil

P.S. The positions of slides added this way can be adjusted by placing the mouse cursor  at the beginning of the slide until the double headed arrow appears and dragging in the Timeline. This also does not move the position of the next and previous slides.

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies.

I have now had time to play with this. 

I was aware of the fact that you could move slides individually or in groups about the time line in this way provided you use the number tags to drag with.

I wasn't aware that you could insert slides without moving the adjacent slides (provided their duration does not exceed the available time). 

However, the significance of “lock all tracks” seems to be the clincher for me. This will enable me to retain the synchronisation of the video action contained in specific key slides with the audio track.

Thank you for your persistence!

John

PS - PTE and the Forum Members never let me down.