WnSoft Forums

Problem with naming safe exe files for PC

Picsel

Problem with naming safe exe files for PC

PTE v8.0.18 - laptop PC/ Win7

1) I created a pte file named myslideshowA.pte  inside a folder named "pteA" , saved, I created an exe file which was automatically named myslideshowA.exe by PTE that's OK !
2) I reopened the same myslideshowA.pte inside the folder pteA  then I saved it under a new file name myslideshowB.pte inside a new folder pteB everything runs OK but ...
3) If I create a safe exe file for MAC, PTE will automatically suggest the file name myslideshowB.exe that is OK.
4) If I create a safe exe file for PC, PTE will automatically suggest the file name  myslideshowA.exe and not myslideshowB.exe  that is NOK ! and could lead PTE users to make errors.

The problem can be easily overcome by changing the name of file suggested by PTE but without enough attention it could be misleading

Best regards

Daniel

Daniel,

I have followed your instructions to the letter - same file names - but I cannot duplicate the problem.

The file name myslideshowB is suggested for both the MAC EXE and the Safe EXE.

I am probably doing something wrong?

DG

P.S. I tried it on my Windows 10 laptop.

I obtained the same test results as Dave above ... and could not duplicate the name issue Daniel has observed.

I have looked within the PTE file(s) data created and compared them, and found no reference to Publish a myslideshowA.exe  in the myslideshowB.pte file.

* Have you missed documenting a process step in your first post ?

See attachment - it shows the comparison of the saved files published strings. As you see the PTE file for myslideshowB.pte contains no saved string information. Once the published strings are saved ... PTE program will follow that referenced name in future published saves (as shown in myslideshowA.pte file .

publish_file.jpg

Dave, nobeefstu,

What goes wrong? I cant say.

When the problem happened, I found it very strange and took note of it step by step but unfortunately I have not thought to read and save the .pte file as nobeefstu has done it.

But I can guess that the line opt_exezipfn= and opt_macfolder would have been different with different URLs !

Yesterday I could repeat the problem several times by creating several safe exe files for PC and MAC,  but after reading your posts today : as you, I cant duplicate this problem right now. The only difference with yesterday : my PC has been rebooted !

With that kind of problem, the initial conditions, before the first step, could be of  some importance and sorry but I cant remember them in details due to the use of a lot of different commands.

Thanks to you for your tests

Daniel

• 1 month later...

This problem appears again, following the same sequence as described in my first post.

In attachments here bellow, I joined :

- a print screen

- an abstract of the pte file

showing clearly that pte file has kept in memory the previous old name and address which leads to the problem I ve reported before.

160418-print-screen.jpg

160418-abstract-pte-file.txt

5 hours ago, Picsel said:

showing clearly that pte file has kept in memory the previous old name and address which leads to the problem I ve reported before.

Daniel,

Your attached pte.txt  file does clearly reference the saved output file string of your Safe EXE zip file    (line : opt_exezipfn=)

However ... this referenced file string is only retained and written to the PTE project file when the  PTE project file has been saved.  If you create your Safe EXE zip file ... make sure not to save the PTE project file afterwards. Otherwise the saved output file string will be written to the  PTE project file for future reference. This infomation is not retained in memory ... it is only retained in the saved PTE project file.

*as a test you could manually edit/delete the saved file string E:\AlphaPixel83\atelier-photos\atelier-themes-photos\theme-frejus-insolite\theme-frejus-insolite-PC.zip from the project file line opt_exezipfn= (just leave the opt_exezipfn=  portion of the line segment.)

*When you reopen the PTE project file after manually editing out that reference file string ... you will no longer be reminded of its previous save file and location.when creating a new Safe.EXE.zip (as long as you dont save the PTE project file again after publishing the Safe.EXE zip) ( Another Note ; If you use Auto Save project file setting in Preferences ... this could possibly write the saved output file string without your knowledge.)

** Another thought : Do you often create a PTE project file and perform your Publishing needs ... and  then rename that same PTE project file using file FILE | SAVE AS  ? (This SAVE AS method would also add the  Published saved file string  from the first PTE project file to the next SAVE AS PTE project file automatically.

Thanks for your reply

I know how to get around this problem I am not looking here for that. But I just wanted to report a tricky behaviour of PTE in such a case.

In my point of view when a pte project file "A.pte" is saved as "B.pte", then if I create an exe output, this should be named "B.exe" and no longer "A.exe" !

I guess that could be linked with another old remaining problem with PTE : when creating an exe file, PTE asks to save the pte project before ( that is OK), but afterwards, if you close the project without doing anything else, PTE asks to save the project again which has no sense and could lead PTE users to make errors.

Best regards

Daniel

2 hours ago, Picsel said:

In my point of view when a pte project file "A.pte" is saved as "B.pte", then if I create an exe output, this should be named "B.exe" and no longer "A.exe" !

I see your issue ... but Iam not sure it is tricky behavior or an unintended/oversight to retain the saved Publishing data when saving one project file to another ... as its perceived intention is to be a copy of the original project with a new project filename 

Maybe you should suggest that PTE file not transfer/save all the Publishing history from one project to another project when using  FILE | SAVE AS. (The file string value(s) data would be removed and cleared from the output Publishing parameters. I would think this suggestion would be the better alternative ... as it does give users a clean slate for Publishing with the new filename.

* My point in previous post of editing out the Published file string data ... was a test  to show that the file string data was saved into the PTE project file rather than retained in memory from project to project.

Stu

Thanks for your reply, I must say that I probably do not understand what you mean exactly by "publishing history from one project to another project".

I agree that all information concerning a project are registered inside the pte file itself. In my previous post I used "kept in memory" which was not really the right wordings to describe correctly the problem.

My purpose here is to report a PTE tricky behaviour which can leads some PTE users to erase a project by another one !

Lets me try to explain ( I hope that my english will be correct enough this time) :

I made a PTE project which is saved as A.pte . Then I reopen it and make some modifications, I saved it as B.pte because my purpose is different and then I go on working on it and save it again after some other modifications. All indications displayed by PTE, refer to B project (see red boxes on the picture attached in my previous post) and so I, as a PTE user, I am convinced that everything is OK. So when deciding to create an exe file, I have no special reason to take care of the exe file name (which I should expect to be B.exe) but if the file string data ( opt_exezipfn= ) has kept the last A.exe address then, by inattention I can overwrite A.exe by the new project.

In my opinion, whatever the reason why I saved a project under a new name, I do not see any rationale for not changing the old string data by the new one. As far as I know that is the way of working for all other softwares but PTE is not it?

Best regards

Daniel

Is it possible that the reason you are seeing this problem is that you are working on the original "A" version even though you have "Saved As" the "B" version?

The only version that you have opened, if I read your explanation correctly, is the "A" version.

When I tried your original steps I closed PTE and opened the "B" version and because the "B" version was then the "current" version its name was suggested when I tried to make the Safe EXE.

It seems to depend on which version is the "current" open version. Is that a fair statement?

Dave,

Indeed, there is no problem and everything is OK if I save A.pte as B.pte then close PTE and reopen B.pte

The problem happens when A.pte is saved as B.pte, then going on working on B.pte, saving it before creating an exe but without closing PTE in between.

The problem occurs only with creating safe exe for Internet (neither for creating an exe for PC, nor for creating an exe for MAC).

In my previous report you can see, as it was pointed out by Stu, that the opt_exezipfn= data string is not changed when the project is "saved as" . This problem can lead PTE users to erase existing project (A.pte) unintentionnally.

With all existing software applications, when saving A.xxx as B.xxx, if you go on working on without closing the app, you are working on B.xxx and no longer on A.xxx. If you need to work again on A.xxx you have to reopen it. There is no link between A and B.  

Regards

Daniel