WnSoft Forums

ERROR MESSAGE - Missed Images, Video, Transitions & Audio

JEB

Hi,

Can anybody offer some advice as to how I can solve the following issue?

I have been working on a show for some time and have today, when opening it, found that I am getting the Error Message - Missed Images, Video, Transitions & Audio. Every slide is affected. Normally when I get this message it is because I have moved files but I have not done this. I have checked that all the files are in fact where they should be on my working drive. 

My machine backs up automatically to two external hard drives several times per day so I have tried to open from there but get the same result. I have restarted my computer.

It appears to me that this may be a PTE issue in that it is failing to make the link to the appropriate folders but I am only guessing. However, I have checked other shows and they are opening as they should.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

John

Hi,

I think I have found the source of the problem but don't know how to go about resolving it.

Yesterday I installed Google Drive and for some reason PTE is being directed to that Drive (W-as it happens) it should be looking at "V" Drive. I have removed GD now but unfortunately each time I have today tried to open a recent backup (while Google Drive has been on my machine) the drive letter has been changed. Rather than having to re-do work of several days is there any way I can SIMPLY change the drive letter in the corrupted versions?

Regards

John

Can you put the Images etc where the Project "thinks" that they should be (temporarily)? That would be easier than trying to change each broken link in your Project's Properties Tab.

I am assuming that you can still find a "W" drive.

You could then make a Template of the show on a suitable drive to correct your errors.

DG

HI,

Thank you all very much for your responses.

I have opened and re-saved a backed-up version that is only one day old. I have therefor decided to re-do yesterdays work rather than delve into the depths and mysteries of Windows with all the risks that that would entail!

Once bitten twice shy as they say.

Once I have finished this project I may give Google Drive another go but for the present that's a no no area for me. I'll just stick with Dropbox.

Cheers

John

John,

In the long run ... I recommend that you should follow the advise of assigning a DRIVE LETTER to your external /backup drives, as the real risk is that this issue will eventually bite back at you again.

Assigning/changing a DRIVE LETTER to a specific Drive is one of the simplest user functions within Windows ( as per using the links provided by Dave above). By assigning your most often used external drives their own drive identity you.will basically lock in that DRIVE LETTER assignment to that specific drive. Whenever it is detached/reattached to your PC ... it will remember and always use that selected drive identity( until if in the future you want to change/reassign it again for some special needs on your own).

*Normally, unassigned external Drives will allow Windows to temporarily assign and automatically select the first available unused/unassigned DRIVE LETTER that sits in its alphabet list. This will eventually lead to lost/finding file issues especially whenever periodically attaching/disconnecting the multiple external/backup dives. The files themselves are not actually lost or missing ... its just Windows may have automatically reassigned a new/different DRIVE LETTER than it used before.

*Changing DRIVE LETTER assignments for your externally attached drive(s) will only be useful and identified on your PC. When attaching the  same external drives on another users PC ... you/they would have to assign DRIVE LETTER within its own Windows environment.

* Assigning a DRIVE LETTER is a simple and easy to perform user function in Windows. Take advantage of it .... and  let Windows work for you this time.