WnSoft Forums

The Civil War

I take it that many of these beautiful pictures were the result of adding Topaz Impression.  If there is another filter that you used, I would love to know.

Was this done with pictures from a reenactment of something that was taken before? If you took these from a reenactment, they are terrific.

Thank you for sharing. They are an inspiration. Your work and videos are always superior.

This AV all came about because of a Ransomware virus that hit my wife's computer 2 weeks ago. Strange how things happen, but we have a good manual backup regime and we recovered from that problem within a day. It meant I had to get out some old disks and external drives to replace the images on her computer that were lost. While doing that I decided to take advantage of the much bigger internal hard drives I now have in my PC

That has 3*3 T drives installed apart from the SSD for the OS. So I loaded up some old raw and jpeg files from up to 14 years ago and took a look through them. I picked one, did a bit of digital doodling with a civil war battle scene and liked the result and suddenly the idea was born. 

The effect consists of Topaz Impression filters (more than one and a reasonably amount of Photoshop work, but nothing you would call hard or difficult. Sometimes the path I selected for a particular image didn't work so well, so I dumped it and took another tack. That is the nature of filters and photography in general I suppose. You win some and you lose some.  Some of the images were portrait so they had to be amalgamated with landscape ones to fit.

The images come from a re-enactment of the English Civil War that are carried out all over the UK during summer by the Sealed Knot Society. Going back many years we used to go to lots of them and Health and Safety has spoiled it a little for photographers. Too many Hi-Vi jackets and day-glow tape to make sure none of us stub a toe :D However, it just means we have to work a bit harder to avoid them