WnSoft Forums

Video clip not found...

goddi

Greetings,

I am in the process of creating a show. Some images and some video clips. My problem is with one video clip that can not be 'found'. The video clips are MOVs. I have a problem with just one of the MOV clips. When I drag it down to the Timeline, it says 'video not found'. It is there. I can play it directly using Windows Media Player. It will also play when I try to access it through the PTE's Explorer/Play menu. When I compare the results using MediaInfo, they look the same as the other MOVs. Any ideas what might be happening?

Gary

5 hours ago, davegee said:

Long shot: change the suffix to .mpg or MP4 or avi or any of the alternatives?

Just keeping you company until someone with a better answer turns up :)

DG

Nope. That does not make a difference. Also, for the other MOV clips that will show up in the Video Converter window, and will go through the convert process, they will not play in the Video Converter window, nor will it allow me to use the Trim function.

Gary

Greetings,

Having tried many ways to get the MOV video clips to play in PTE, without much success, I'd like to know what might be causing this. I have attached a screenprint info from MediaInfo for the original MOV clip, its conversion to MP4 using Freemake, and then the PTE conversion.

I guess my ultimate question is, if Windows Media Player can play MOVs with no problem, why can't PTE? This presents a problem when trying to use the Trim function in PTE if you can not preview the clip. Only the PTE converted clip will sometimes play in the Converter process but then you have to convert the converted clip to be able to use it in the Trim function.

Also, if I use Add Task to bring in the converted file, it still does not play in the preview screen so I still can not use the Trim function.

Gary

Video file.jpg

Gary, asking that question is seriously akin to asking why a world class sprinter can run 100 meters in 10 seconds while it may take a world class swimmer 12 seconds to accomplish the same.

There are different video engines in Windows Media Player and in PicturesToExe with different capabilities and limitations. Microsoft is a multi-billion dollar company with ample funds to license the latest and greatest video technology for their player. Wnsoft must work within their budget and provide the best quality video tool that their budget will allow.

The simple solution for your problem is to convert your MOV file to a format which PicuresToExe works better with. Why do different camera manufacturers use different video formats? Why don't they all use MOV instead of some using MPEG-4, MXF, AVI, etc.? There are reasons which may only be appreciated by the manufacturer's themselves. 

Perhaps the next iteration of PTE will work better with all MOV files. It may have a different video handling capability, but doesn't it make more sense to simply understand that you have a file which doesn't work - report that and move on to a solution which does work?

Best regards,

Lin

On 7/24/2016 at 0:12 PM, Lin Evans said:

Gary, asking that question is seriously akin to asking why a world class sprinter can run 100 meters in 10 seconds while it may take a world class swimmer 12 seconds to accomplish the same....

Perhaps the next iteration of PTE will work better with all MOV files. It may have a different video handling capability, but doesn't it make more sense to simply understand that you have a file which doesn't work - report that and move on to a solution which does work?

Best regards,

Lin

Greetings Lin,

I understand. However, it is not just a 'file' that does not work, it is a 'format' that does not play nice in PTE. It would be nice not to have to jump around to other programs to edit/trim a video clip. Hopefully, the video editing/trimming abilities of PTE will get more attention in the future. For example, separate the Convert process from the Trim and Resize processes. So if you want to re-trim a converted clip, you don't have to re-convert. And have the ability to rename the file you are about to re-convert to you don't get the 'converted.converted' in the filename, or put in the resized info, for example.

So, I took a different approach. I Converted an original MOV clip. I did the Add Task to bring in the converted clip (now AVI). I tried to play it in the converter window to trim it but it still would not play. Still no way to accurately trim the clip in PTE. The Trim and Resize worked but there is no way of seeing what you wanted to trim. No way to rename the output file. Got to be a better way.

ADDED LATER: I just re-tried to play the 'converted.avi' file in the Converter and it did play and I could use the Trim function. So sometimes it works, sometimes not. Duno....