WnSoft Forums

Vimeo

Vince Bevan

Hi,

A PTE show I uploaded to Vimeo as an MP4 video is looking a little light, washed out and unlike the source file.

This is only happening when viewed using Chrome or Firefox. On IE it looks absolutely fine, and also on various media players.

I'm also getting a message after the upload saying that the file is only averaging a 8,000 bit rate and below what Vimeo recommends. This is odd as the setting I chose in the conversion to MP4 process was 20,000 (please see attached screenshot of settings). So not sure if that would have any bearing on the lightness issue.

Really scratching my head on this one. Any ideas on what is happening here would be appreciated.

V

Settings.JPG

16 hours ago, Vince Bevan said:

A PTE show I uploaded to Vimeo as an MP4 video is looking a little light, washed out and unlike the source file.

This is only happening when viewed using Chrome or Firefox. On IE it looks absolutely fine, and also on various media players.

If a MP4 video file produced in PTE looks fine on your computer (in a video player), the problem can be in Vimeo (they re-encode/optimize all uploaded video files) or in a browser. Try to upload same video file to YouTube and compare visual quality.

Also it's strange that IE gives better quality than Chrome. Check Vimeo video on another compare to compare.

16 hours ago, Vince Bevan said:

I'm also getting a message after the upload saying that the file is only averaging a 8,000 bit rate and below what Vimeo recommends. This is odd as the setting I chose in the conversion to MP4 process was 20,000 (please see attached screenshot of settings). So not sure if that would have any bearing on the lightness issue.

That's OK. Because your video file contains still images. Modern video codecs very good compress still images (and Pan/Zoom animations). Live video picture requires more high bitrate than still images.

That all makes more sense to me, even though I have had a good bit of support on this from Vimeo I am a little confused by some of the information they have given.

Another point they have made is -

'We do recommend color data even for black and white videos. This is to ensure the black and white values/ranges get transferred properly to the Vimeo playback versions.'

As they had checked the file in question and found 'no color information within the video's data (Color Range, Color Primaries, etc)' I thought this might be causing the issue, but would there be any color information on a b&w video anyway?

Checked the video on another PC running Microsoft Edge and there is still a little difference, ME looking more like the original file than on Chrome, although not as pronounced as on my main PC.

Vimeo had suggested re-encoding the video with color data using a program like 'Handbrake', which I might try just out of curiosity. 

As a workaround I'll adjust the images and find a happy medium between the browsers.

Thanks Igor.