WnSoft Forums

Missing File Name In Slide List

tc_leeds

Hi,

I have just been experimenting with Missing Files and changed the name of an image from a project in Windows Explorer. Opening up the project in PTE 9 now displays the Missing File menu. Selecting "Find and select" takes me to the original folder where I then selected the same image but which now has a different name and after confirming this is the image I want, select OK. The  remains the same  in the Slide List but shows the new name in O&A. In other words, I change the name of an image from say Water to Running Water in windows explorer. Having confirmed this is the image I now wish to use, in the Slide List the name remains Water, but if I look in O&A it now shows as Running Water.

TC

Hi Igor,

The problem arises if for some reason you have inadvertently  changed the name of a file in the slide show folder when PTE IIs closed. When you reopen PTE it shows as a missing file. If you select "find missing file" and select the file which now has a different name and select OK, the file will then reappear in the slide list. However, it still retains the original name of the "missing file". If you check in O&A the file is shown with the correct name as shown in the file list. In other words, if the missing file is as the result of a name change it will still appear with the original name in the Slide List. Change image makes no difference following this process and the image still retains the original name when you select the file from the Slide List. I would have thought it should have the same name as the chosen image. 

TC

It seems to be a logical problem. You will see a similar effect when replacing images. You can open the slide options of some slide and replace the standard slide name (the name of the image) by some other name, as you like. Now PTE will keep this name, also in cases when replace your image. What you observe is rather a feature than a bug.

Hi,

Somewhat disappointed not to receive a definitive reply to this query. I can only assume that if you use the "Missing File" feature in PTE 9 and select an alternative file then you have to manually change the file name in the Slide Options which seems to defeat the object of the exercise. Also if you have inadvertently changed a file name then again it will not be recognised in the Slide List and has to be changed manually in Slide Options. Even using the "Change Image File" when this happens fails to present the correct name in the Slide List.

Perhaps someone might confirm that this is how the Missing File feature works..

TC

Hi TC,

I tried to reproduce your example and, as you say, it requires changing the File Name in Slide List.

However, I also tried Igor's suggestion. Cancel the Missing Files window and Right Click on the slide in the Slide List - choose "Change Image File" and select the new (or renamed file).

It replaces the Missing File and updates the Slide Name.

DG

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate that you can use the approach you and Igor have suggested but that seems to defeat the object of having a feature to find missing files if all you have to do is close it down and do what you would have done in previous versions. Just as a matter of interest did you take a look at the video?

TC

Yes,

The point I would make is the same as yours - that you are changing the Main Image and that is being re-named correctly in O&A.

The SLIDE NAME was determined by your original choice of Image File. If you started with a Blank slide and added the Image in O&A then it would still be named Blank after changing the missing (non-main) image.

It would be nice if Igor could "put this right" - but depending how you look at it, it could be that there is nothing to "put right". :)

DG

P.S. I have a few Styles in which the Slide Name is determined by the Style and not by the Main Image used. If my Main Image went missing and I replaced it, the Slide would still retain its "original" name dtermined by the Style just as I would want.

P.P.S..... here's another example where what you are suggesting "MIGHT" cause problems.

Let's say that I have a show containing a couple of hundred Slides, many of which have Hyperlinks of the type "Go to Slide with Name".

If the replacement of an Image for whatever reason also changed the Slide Name then any Hyperlinks pointing to that particular slide would be "broken" and fixing it could be time consuming.

DG

Hi Dave,

Once again thanks for your input. I guess it's all to do with expectations when you use the software. Having used "Change Image File" in the past and seeing the name change in the Slide List it was my expectation that when I Changed Image File in "Missing Images section the same thing would apply. It was also interesting that if you accept the change of image in the Missing File section then if you try and change Image File (Right Click dropdown menu) in this instance it still does not change the name of the image in the slide list!

So I guess this is how it works and I appreciate your comments. Perhaps it might be something Igor will look at in the future.

TC