WnSoft Forums

Menu for HDTV presentatrion

David White

I am producing an AV on PTE AV Studio Pro which is looking great on our Samsung QLED TV when displayed as an HD 4K video. I intend to produce a menu page so that I can select various chapters. I can do this when publishing it as an exe and it works OK but when I publish for the HD TV the menu system does not work. I tried it out with a simple AV without a sound track and it would not run at all as it said it “The audio data is not supported”.

So I added a short audio clip to the menu slide and the two short sequences. When I selected the Mp4 track it still said the same but this time it skipped the menu slide and ran both the short sequences one after the other.

Please can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong, or is it not possible to use menus using the Mp4 format?

The Mp4 Video can be put into PTE and then an .exe menu can made.  The Chapters can be put into separately into PTE for the menu to be constructed.  I have put a tutorial on this site showing how to make the menu, as I had a similar problem myself.   I have found the videos run just as well in PTE as they did as an MP4 file.   

If you put wnsoft.com into your browser then click on Support>forum and in the search box put in Making a Screen menu.pdf and then click on the pdf heading you can download the pdf file. John

Thanks John,

However being a bit slow I've just spent the entire afternoon wondering why I couldn't make it work on my TV after I had published it as MP4 file and plugged my memory stick into my TV!

It has now dawned on me that to get it to run on the TV I've still got to run it from my Laptop - which is what I was trying to avoid.

I did try this first but it seemed to me that the image was nothing like as good and panning shots were distinctly jerky.

I think the only way I can get full quality is to use the Folders that the TV provides and put each A/V into those - it will look a bit clunky but, unless someone has a better idea, I'll go with that.

Keep me occupied over Christmas anyway!

Kind Regards

David

David,

I have just conducted an experiment where I have put an MP4 video into PTE and made a menu containing other sequences as an .exe menu which returns to the menu when the video sequence has ended.   Admittedly I have run this from my laptop through a HDMI lead to my TV and the quality is first class equalling an .exe file or MP4 video file on TV so I cannot see your concern on quality.   There was no jerkiness at all, and I wonder if the jerkiness you mention comes from your laptop which may be having difficulty with the latest programs or you ran it on battery instead of mains?

Thanks for your thoughts John,

The laptop is in fact a tablet but is quite powerful having solid state memory and a fast processor, so I don't think it is that, and I did connect it through a high quality HDMI cable and it was running on the mains.

My test was a short sequence  from an hour long show in three chapters. I am remaking it from a 2008 A/V to run on our HD TV. I hope It will be longer and better produced and run from a memory stick so it needs to have more and shorter chapters.

It is possible that I haven't updated the sequence as well as I thought and running it as an exe via the computer may be causing problems. I did, however do a direct comparison with the MP4 version  and it was noticeably worse.

I have also realised that, in any case, it will not be possible to use a menu running in Video Format since there is no way I could select from a menu frame. (Should have realised that right from the start!)

I am now testing the three chapters to see how easily I can use the Folders facility on the TV - initial experiments seem fine and I've put them on the stick and am just going to try them out.

Thanks once again.