WnSoft Forums

Updated build of v4.30

Igor

I just uploaded updated build of v4.30 (23.08.2004) which fixes the problem with running of PicturesToExe under PCs with AMD Athlon 64-bit CPU on Windows XP with installed Service Pack 2. This problem happened only with PicturesToExe (main program), not with .exe files of slide-shows.

We've updated only registration mechanism which protects PicturesToExe, no another changes.

Please download this updated v4.30:

http://www.wnsoft.com/apr/apr.zip

p.s. owners of PCs with Athlon 64 with Windows XP, please leave here your responses, I'd grateful to you for testing of the updated version.

Hi Igor,

We also are having problems at our Workshops with XP-SP2 (Upgrades)

As you are aware the SP2 Version of XP no longer supports MS.Java but more than that

there are now major issues with 'NTvdm.Exe' - the virtual Dos Machine implanted in XP

to handle 'old Dos' Programs. This is giving major problems in the "field" by locking up

the CPU Processor with inordinate loads..

Also the SP2 Upgrade "kick-outs" on established Programs such as Nero 6.0 and many

other programs like Photoshop 7.0. We had a Bulletin on this, it seems that MS have

upgraded their Security Encryption to 1024 bit consequently other programs using 128

or 256 or 512 Security Encryption simply won't run.

I know PTE should not be effected by these issues but you going to get "complaints"

from PTE users who are running XP-SP2 and when the PC "kicks-out" they will blame

anything except their PC.Operating System

May I suggest that you insert an "ADVISORY NOTE" in the new "PTE 4.30 Release Notes"

to warn people of possible problems with XP-SP2 and give a link to the Microsoft Centre

thats dealing with this problem.

It would make life a lot easier for you and the Team-

Brian Kelly.Conflow Services.

Brian, interesting info! I also read the long list of programs which don't work partially or at all with SP2.

Microsoft also added some important and necessary changes to this SP2.

I hope no problems with PicturesToExe under SP2. We have tested slide-shows and they work fine and don't require any reworking. The main program of PicturesToExe also works now even on Athlon 64-bit with new NX protection technology.

My Photoshop CS is also giving problems. The IT centre said I have a virus on my PC but thanks to this forum I can now tell themm it is not the case.

The moment I run Photoshop my PC goes mad and nothing react the way it is supposed to. I will now get a PC guru from town to help me. I really do not want to format the hard drive. One does lose info that way and to think of the time re insalling all the software!! :(

Brian

have done a search about nero failing after xp sp2 install - -not having any luck and none of the newsgroup forums i sub to are not mentiioning anything unusual -- i am holding off for a bit

as one of my web buds said

.....It was pointed out to me once that EARLY PIONEERS USUALLY ENDED UP WITH MANY ARROWS IN THEIR BACKS

do you have any data/url i can read

ken

Robby,

In your case it was the best procedure you could have done -

This is the "classic case" I mentioned in my recent post about SP-2 Upgrade and NTvdm.

In your case the XP-SP2 went mad trying to resolve an "un-resolvable issue" with its

NTVDM.Exe Dos Engine - It ties up some 97% of the Processor resources consequently

the PC was deaf,dumb and blind to anything else asked of of it.

I accept Igors point about "important improvements" in SP2 - thats all very well and fine, but would you step on board a Prototype Aircraft that only has a few hours flying on it ??

And to ask PC Owners to "Uninstall and Re-Install" Programs before they work again is taking things too far.... Microsoft will need to go away and think again -

For those who are interested 'log-on' to Google and type in SP2 Upgrade or type in NTVDM....... see for yourself....

Our sister Company www.bsl.ie repair between 80-100 PC's per month and right know we are driven daft with this incredible "put on"...

Brian Kelly.Conflow Services.