WnSoft Forums

Physical location of files

SeismicGuy

This is regarding Windows 10.  I always like to know where various files are actually located on my computer and, specifically, was wondering about location(s) of the various Slide Styles folders (i.e., ones with names like 00EBF8AD-0F41-4840-8221-E3FFA1351767.  There is a StylesAndTransitions folder that has a SlideStyles folder within it located a few levels below the C;\ProgramFiles folder.  I assume those might be the standard ones that come with the program?  

But then when you download a *.ptestyle from an outside source and import it into PTE, those files generate the actual slide styles folders and them places them somewhere. Is the "somewhere"  the location that you can pick in the program preferences (I think the apr.ini entry is "StylesAndEffectsFolder ="  which may be a totally different location?   If so the "standard" and downloaded/imported styles end up in totally separate locations?  Is there some reason not to have them both in the same location such as the few levels below the C"\ProgramFiles folder?

I realize this may be a geeky question but I was just curious.

Thanks.

Not sure I fully understand your question.

However on my PC within my Documents Folder, there is a ‘Pictures to Exe’ folder and this contains my Slide Styles, Transitions etc Folders.

So when I download a new style, I immediately copy it into this Folder and at this stage would attempt to rename the Style if thought was necessary. Then when in PTE, I import the new style as normal, however the location always being the Slide Styles folder in my Documents. This way all my Styles (and Transitions) are located in the same place and so I know where they all are and can re- import them should some unforeseen disaster befall.

It seems to work for me. Does this help?

Maybe the context of why I am asking will clarify.  I may have manually moved some of the Styles folders that are generated after importing a *.ptestyle into the Styles folder that is a few levels within the C:\ProgramFiles folder and this apparently screwed things up.  Importing additional *.ptestyle files often times does not work and the ability to rename categories/styles within the Slide Styles window also often times does not work.  I guess my manually moving things around outside of PTEAV might have screwed things up.  

Yeah from what I can infer the built-in styles are stored in one location and the styles that are downloaded from other sources (i.e., the *.ptestyle file that generates the various actual styles files once imported) are stored elsewhere.  Not sure why you would not want ALL of the styles files to be in the same location but my moving things around outside of the program certainly screwed things up.

• 2 months later...

There are a lot of these. I suspect that they are not all needed anymore. Most of these are probably part of my tests. 
I have copied imported styles to the same directory. To find a certain imported style is not easy o find.
And if I want to look at a particular style I have to look at the time stamps of the directory and style.xml in the directory.

Maybe I should arrange my directories differently? Now I have:
d:\PTE
- project 1
- project 2
- project 3
- CustomStyles
- CustomTransitionsEffects
- Templates

temp1.png

Only recently I deleted a style in "Styles and Themes", and PTE deleted the corresponding files "source.pte" and "style.xml", but the corresponding (empty) folder remained. I deleted it. This does not seem to be the standard behavior. Maybe one of the two files had been opened in a text editor.

2 hours ago, SeismicGuy said:

... these folders are located in a few locations at least on my machine.

I think that there are 2 locations: For built-in styles in PTE's program folder; for use created styles: Folder defined in "Preferences > Templates"