WnSoft Forums

Support Apple .HEIC file format

Yes, we plan this support. And it has a high priority.

The only difficulty that we need the HEIC support for both versions - Windows and Mac. It complicates the task. HEIC format is very complicated, it's based on H.265 (HEVC) video. In fact one HEIC image is a series of H.265 videos in Apple's container.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi,
Are there any plans to extend HEIC format support to the Windows version of PTE AV Studio 11. This would be of interest to iPhone owners who use Windows. Of course, it is always possible to convert HEIC images to JPG (there are many converters like CopyTrans for example). However, direct support for the HEIC format would be very interesting for these users.
Thanks,

Denis A.

Hi Denis,

I agree it would be a nice feature. Currently on a Mac (11.0.3) it's possible to create a show with HEIC files and publish as a Windows Safe Executable for PC. When the Windows PC tries to run the show it will show an error message on a HEIC file. Ideally Windows version of PTE would support HEIC or the Mac would provide a compatibility warning during publish.

Tom

Hi Denis,

I just replied on your question on Diapositif.

In PTE AV Studio 11 we added HEIC images support for the Mac version. macOS natively supports this format and we could easily implement it.

For Windows it means that we should find and use some external decoder (library). HEIC format technically is very complicated. It's based on HEVC video format ( a series of HEVC video frames to store one large image).

I hoped that HEIC support will be eventually added to popular LibAV library (video/audio/image decoders) which we use on Windows and Mac. Regrettably their developers didn't add HEIC support yet. So support of HEIC for Windows is not ready yet. Sorry for this delay.

I remember about importance of HEIC support. I also have iPhone and use its camera.

Hi Igor,

Thank you very much for this information and for your feedback on Diapositif. I understand the difficulty encountered for the integration of the HEIC format in the Windows version.

Again, congratulations for all the work provided for the development of PTE AV Studio.

Denis A.

• Like 1