WnSoft Forums

Change Video File: File name did not change

goddi

Greetings,

I 'Changed Video File'. The new video file is correct but it did not update the file's name in the Timeline. And the file name's info at the bottom of the screen is correct.

When I look at the file's name in the Timeline, it is still the name of the old file, even though the added video file is correct.

I can bring down the new file and it shows the correct name in the Timeline, but why does it not correct the file name when I do a 'Change Video File"?

Notice the new file name has a space between the 'S' and 'Africa' and there is a '-2' after '95'. The old file name has a period instead of a space and does not have the '-2', as it shows incorrectly in the Timeline's file name. This was the old file's name.

(Even right-click on the file in Timeline and choosing 'File Info' also shows the correct file name).

Gary

ScreenCap.thumb.jpg.3bfe676d3fe80c7f4dd9270120689061.jpg

When I separate the audio from the video file, the separated audio shows the correct file name.

ScreenCap-2.jpg.7fef57b75f9f149c409149293da77469.jpg

Gary,

If you didn't change manually a slide name (in the Slide Options window), PTE AV Studio should automatically update a slide name according a new replaced file name.

Try the following. Start a new project. Add the original video file and then replace it. Does PTE correctly updated a slide name?

1 hour ago, Igor said:

Gary,

If you didn't change manually a slide name (in the Slide Options window), PTE AV Studio should automatically update a slide name according a new replaced file name.

Try the following. Start a new project. Add the original video file and then replace it. Does PTE correctly updated a slide name?

Greetings Igor,

Here is what I think I did. I originally had video file in the project. This video file had been modified with various setting in O&A. But I did not like the file name, so I renamed the filename in the file list. So not to have to rework the settings (aspect ratio, border, texts, etc.) I had already applied to the original video file, I just did a 'Change Video File', which just used the same video file but now had a different file name. The new file name shows correctly everywhere, except where it is in the Timeline screen, where it retains the old file name.

I have dragged the this newly named video file into the project and it does correctly show the new file name in the Timeline. It just does not do that with 'Change Video File'.

This is happening in two different projects that I went through the same steps to change file names of some video files used in the project.

I am trying to avoid having to re-create all the things I've done to this video file. It is a long video with many text inputs throughout its length and other things. I just want the file name to be correct as it shows in the Timeline. Kinda strange....

Gary

Greetings Igor,

I just tried something similar and got the same problem. Here is what I did:

In MyComputer, I changed the filename that had a '-5', to a '-6'. Since it was already in the project, when I opened it, it indicated that it could not find the old filename as expected.

So I browsed to the file with the new filename and selected it. Again, the filename still shows the old filename with the '-5' in the Timeline, but the correct filename in the information at the bottom of the screen with the '-6'.

Gary

ScreenCap-5to6.thumb.jpg.a67bcce18cac3fbe8f884904de7902af.jpg

Gary,

Usually in the Missing Files window user finds and repairs broken links to the same files. This function doesn't change a slide name.

Change Image File command (and replace image file button in the Object and animation editor) updates a slide name if it was not renamed manually earier.

For your case, I recommend to manually update a slide name in the Slide Options. 

slide-name.png

Greetings Igor,

Thanks for the info. I was able to correct the filename as it is shown in the Timeline, as you indicated. But I have never had or noticed this problem before. I had right-clicked on the file in the file list and changed the name using Explorer, then added it to the Slide List, but it retained its previous filename. It seems that PTE should recognized that filename change when I bring it into the Slide List.

This also happened when I had a Missing File warning. I then selected the correct file but the filename in the Timeline was not correct, though it was the correct file.

Seems to me that this is a bug. Can this be fixed so we don't have to manually update the filename as you have indicated we'd have to do? It can really cause complications and confusion when this happens.

I took a look in the .pte file after correcting a Missing File and see that the incorrect filename, '[Slide2] SlideID=S Africa-94-95-4.converted', is still there when it should be '[Slide2] SlideID=S Africa-94-95-5.converted', even after correcting the Missing File.

Can this problem be fixed so we don't have to manually correct the filenames in such situations?

It seems that if you want to change a filename, do it outside of PTE?

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary,

A slide is a container for multiple objects (multiple images). If user manually renamed a slide, PTE AV Studio should not change it automatically.

Change Image/Video File command automatically updates a slide name only if it was not renamed manually, or if a slide name equals to current main image file name.

I just checked how it works and didn't find a problem. This behaviour was implemented many years ago.

I recommend to replace image/video file with Change Image/Video File command, which does all the job. 

Missing Files window is designed to recover links to broken paths (files in other folders), not to replace a file name.