WnSoft Forums

Adding Text to a Slide...

goddi

Greetings,

I thought I understood how to add text to appear/disappear during a slide using the 'Time Range' function. But I'm not doing it right.

I have a video clip that has a time range of 37.366 to 1:06.377.

I want the text to show up at 45.000 and disappear at 50.000, for example. The current 'Time Range' for this clip shows 0 - 29011.

The Help does not address this issue, at least I could not find anything. What do I change the current 'Time Range' to?

I tried various combinations of '00:45.000 -00:50.000' but the text does not show up.

Gary

image.png.077f02d0b106f689c5951dd2d5f1cf28.png

image.png.731e6d565b0f2fa0ec0db593f27e6a7b.png

Try 8000 and 18000. Both figures must be within the 0 - 29011 range.

DG

P.S. If you untick "Show Global Times..." in Preferences..Editor it might make more sense to you (in this case).Your Video Clip is showing Global Times and the Text (Time Range) in Local Times. Also you can use the mouse to alter the Time Range values same as Zoom etc.

Thanks, Dave. I had remembered there was some setting that I might need to change but I just could not remember what it was. But I still have a question.

If 'Show Global Times' is ticked, why can't we use the timing that we see in the Timeline? For example, if the time range for the clip is '36.000 - 1:05.001', why can't we use put in, say, '40.000 - 55.000' (or 40000 - 55000') for the text object? Seems you have 'Show Global Times' to be unticked to do this and use its figures?

If I re-tick the 'Show Global Times', the '8000 - 18000' in the 'Time Range' does not change and the text appear/disappears correctly. Though the Timeline time range for the text appearing/disappearing does change to about 44.000 - 54.000'. But if I use those figures in the 'Time Range', the text does not show up in that range.

Why can't we use the figures we see when the 'Show Global Times' is ticked? Is this a 'bug'?

Gary

Dave,

Yes, I now see that. Seems that we should be able to input the Timeline's time into the 'Time Range' whether the 'Show Global Times' is tick or not ticked. Having to go back to the Preference/Editor to untick the 'Show Global Times' just to be able to enter the appearing/disappearing of a Text Object is not intuitive.

But good to know how to do it at this point.

Thanks...Gary

5 minutes ago, davegee said:

Use the mouse?

DG

Yes, it took a bit of playing with it until I notice the indicator bar actually moves. I used the mouse to drag the setting to a point where the text would appear and dragging the end to where I wanted the text to disappear. Would be nice to be able to move it faster, especially if you have a very long video clip. And would be nicer if you could use the mousewheel, instead of dragging.

I now understand that, if the 'Show Global Times' is checked, you can enter into the 'Time Range' when the text is to appear/disappear, but you have to use the actual time for that slide (local time?). So you have to sort of guess. In this example, the ending time for this text's Global Time is 52.326 but its 'local time' is 16000. There is no reference to the slide's actual times, only the Global Times.

However, if you use this technique to input text, the problem is that it is either on or off instantly. You can not fade in/out as you can do with keyframes, unless you know of a way to do this? Is there a way of doing this without using keyframes?

So, it would be nice if both the Global Times is shown and the 'local time' is shown. This would make the use of the 'Time Range' easier, which only accepts 'local time'.

(I do notice that you can place the vertical red playhead line at the point you want the Time Range to be set and then drag the mouse to that point).

Gary

ScreenCaptureImage-20220501-112122.thumb.jpg.2bb6dacec208dbf2ed7d547fd41ecd1f.jpg

18 hours ago, goddi said:

I now understand that, if the 'Show Global Times' is checked, you can enter into the 'Time Range' when the text is to appear/disappear, but you have to use the actual time for that slide (local time?). So you have to sort of guess. In this example, the ending time for this text's Global Time is 52.326 but its 'local time' is 16000. There is no reference to the slide's actual times, only the Global Times.

Gary

You do not have to guess. Using Global Times:

Start value = 40354 - 36354 = 4000

End value = 52354 - 36354 = 16000

Using Local Times (if only temporarily) is much easier.

DG

Dave,

Ha! Just too obvious! Thanks... Once you understand it, it can be done easily. But this whole process can be more intuitive. For example, since the 'Time Range' is 'local time', it would be helpful if there was a choice where you could flip back and forth to show the 'Global Times' or 'Local Times' as you worked on that slide, so you don't have to go to Settings/Preferences/Editor and uncheck 'Show Global Times of Key Frames'. And use the decimal points in the 'Time Range'. as shown in the 'Global Times' to be consistent in the format.

Thanks....Gary

Gary you can easily switch between the two in O&A.

Click on Tools & there is an option to switch to Global Times.

Click again & uncheck Global & it goes back to Local times.

Jill

Greetings Jill,

Dang it!!! I hardly every use Tools...but thanks. Learn something every day!!!! PTE is a great program but sometimes you have to look in a dusty corner to find something you need. Much has been revealed. :D

Thanks...Dave and Jill

Gary