WnSoft Forums

"P2E Lite"

fuzzy

How about a P2E LE version whererby we put the show together WITHOUT music, then hand the CD to the client, who then puts it in their PC, and the ONLY screen that comes up is a box that promts the user to insert their (purchased) CD and pick the track?

Maybe it could designed to work once. Once it's done, that dialog box would never be seen agin, and the user would have that slide show permanently.

That way, we are free of copyright issues, and the client gets their slide show with their music. As long as they view the show themselves (who are we to say who else might see it?), I think it should be relatively legal.

I use copyright-free music, because I prefer to be legal. But as we all know, it basically sucks.

Fuzzy

That might work, but why not use "Royalty Free" music? There are hundreds of thousands of incredibly good royalty free selections available. All, of course have copyrights but you pay only once to use as many times and as often as you wish for any but broadcast purposes.

Lin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks but I DO have LOTS of copyright fee music. Can we talk? It all sucks!

There's a reason real music sells to real people and royalty free music only sells to us.

I don't mean to sound flippant or nasty.

I'm just looking for a feature like Kai's used to have... where it directed the computer to go to CD for the music.

fuz

fuzzy,

I agree with you that in these days of peer-to-peer music sharing there has to be a technical way around the problem.

One way would be for someone to set up a special peer-to-peer network whereby one could reach out to certain folders within other members' pc's and "borrow" PTE files found therein. However, here in Canada, the music industry is trying very hard to put the boots to the peer-to-peer networks which at the moment are legal.

Another way would be, as you suggested, for Igor to build in the capability for the slideshow to be put together (in fully synchronized mode) using a music selection downloaded legally from a music site (or taken from a CD), the identity of that piece recorded and noted in the slideshow, too, and then created without the music being included. The viewer would then have to be able to somehow add an identical selection of the same music to the show, or somehow be able to play it in synchronization with the show.

Another alternative is to just forget about the problem and maybe it will go away. It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever been prosecuted for using a favourite selection of music from a record or a CD in a non-commercial slideshow. For a commercial show one should be prepared to legally obtain permission to use the music, whatever that may require.

Thanks but I DO have LOTS of copyright fee music. Can we talk? It all sucks!

There's a reason real music sells to real people and royalty free music only sells to us.

I don't mean to sound flippant or nasty.

I'm just looking for a feature like Kai's used to have... where it directed the computer to go to CD for the music.

fuz

I'm really not talking about "copyright" free music which would be something in the public domain, I'm referring to "royalty free" music which is certainly not "copyright free." You "pay" for royalty free music and have rights to use it which are carefully defined. I can assure you that it doesn't all "suck" but there are thousands of seriously good selections, many of which are used by even major motion picture productions, etc., and performed by world class musicians. Perhaps you haven't found what you like but then perhaps you haven't really looked hard enough or in the right places.

I use royalty free music for many of my client's slideshow presentations and I've never had a complaint. Not only do they enjoy the music but it's carefully crafted with a variety of different lengths for specific applications so the user doesn't have to be an audio engineer to find a length which fits the application. A good royalty free distributor will carefully sort and classify the music according to instrumentation, mood, genre, etc., which takes much of the work out of getting a proper match for the images and purpose.

This may or may not be suitable for your own purposes, but to say it all "sucks" is way off base.....

Best regards,

Lin

What is "suck"?

Ron [uK]

Ron..it's a new musical style, supposed to be the Next Big Thing. I have been using regular pop music CD tracks in my slide shows for the entire 6 years I've used PTE. I either own these CDs or I've downloaded--and paid for-- the individual songs via Itunes or similar. These shows are always for distribution to a few friends/family etc who may well be in the photos. For example we went out to Las Vegas earlier this week and I've put together a show using Elvis' "Viva Las Vegas" as the soundtrack...do I worry that the Presleys will come after me?? Or perhaps even The King himself?? Not at all. I don't think that the use of copyrighted music in this manner is what all the fuss is about as regards these copyright issues.. I wouldn't, however, use any music like this if I was trying to sell the PTE shows. ( though I can't imagine that anyone would actually pay money to sit through one of my creations.) Anyway that's my take on the situation for what it's worth, no doubt that artists should indeed be rewarded for their efforts but I don't think the issues revolve around using the songs you've already paid for as background music in personal slideshows. Even the most ardent supporter of copyright transgressions would probably cut you some slack when you use the music in this way. Or at least I hope they would. I'll let you know if I get sued after this posting!

Jim.

Thanks Lin for the short explanation which was all that I needed. I am sure most of my UK friends will appreciate your answer.

Ron [uK]

Hi Lin,

I have to agree with your comments about this topic. There are so many web sites with this kind of music on offer these days and it takes an eternity to 'surf' them all. Perhaps you can suggest a few links to the best of the bunch.

Ron West

Fuzzy

I don't agree that all copyright free music sucks, I agree that some of it while technically OK lacks that charm we look for.

I have some music on the link below, that I think is great and it is copyright free to everything apart from a TV broadcast.

I also have samples you can download to sample a few tracks of each album.

Barry

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/royaltyfreemusic.htm

I can confirm that the CDs, which Barry has to offer, are worth every penny (or dime) with very suitable music for AV presentations.

Ron [uK]

• 4 weeks later...

My point is not that the music is bad, just that it isn't what the subjects I photograph listen to. It won't bring them to tears.

I couldn't download the music you recommended because I have a dial-up (can't get anything faster where i live).

I want to use commercial music because we know and feel it. If copyright free (or royaltee free, whatever it's called) were so good, it would be popular.

It can't be specific enough for our purposes, because it has to be generic. And then it sounds too mechanical... not enough heart.

Sorry if I step on toes, but that's how I feel.

fuzy

It can't be specific enough for our purposes, because it has to be generic. And then it sounds too mechanical... not enough heart.

Not being able to have a fast broadband is definitely a problem because you simply are wrong about this issue of Royalty Free music. You really need to hear what's available and unfortunately without broadband it's not going to be easy.

In terms of "generic," it's actually just the opposite - it's more "specific" because the music is designed for "specific" purposes with specific moods, specific instrumentation, specific lengths with proper transitions, etc. It's good enough for a number of major motion picture companies which have multi-million dollar budgets and when they use it it's because it's "right" for the specifics of the theme not because it's less expensive. Royalty Free music is available recorded by some of the world's top musicians specifically for this purpose. About the only thing you give up is vocal by leading artists. As far as the music itself is concerned, there are literally thousands of incredibly good selections (this coming from a long time musician).

From what you are saying I would assume that you just haven't had enough exposure to quality Royalty Free selections. If you know anyone with broadband you really owe it to yourself to get on the web and research the available, you're really in for a major surprise.

Best regards,

Lin

The words part is part of what I'm referring to. I know the instrumental stuff is OK, because I have lots of it. I visited a friend who has broadband, and I sat there all day going through some sites like RoyaltyFreeMusic.com, MusicBakery.com, and others. I made notes of what I could use, and bought it at home.

What I'm referring to is music people know and have an emotional connection with.

fuz