WnSoft Forums

Need to zip slide show

mysty

I can see I need to zip my program before it can be sen by anyone else, I tried to do that and when I did open it even hubby opened on his puter and it wouldn't open, actuall on his computer it came as an exe file and it was blocked so did;nt even get to see if it works.

Long story short what program is good for zipping and will it open as a zip or exe file???

Mysty, if you are using Windows XP, the easiest way to make a zip file is:

Find your PTE show such as MyShow.exe.

Right click on the .exe file, choose "Send to", Compressed (Zipped) file.

When you or a recipient "unzips" the .zip file, you will find the exe file of your show. Double click on the .exe file and your show will run. You will be elated!

One thing to remember about Windows XP is that sometimes it will not allow you to unzip a folder. It is a protection bult into the software.

If that happens, right click the .zip file and go to properties. From there you can unblock the zip file and it will then open.

bbdigital

Thanks Lumen and Digital,

WI will try that tonight, when I did zip it such as you said but from wihtin a zip program itself, what happens is it shows it packed, then I found it in lisitings sent it to e-mail, hubbys as he doesnt have p2e went to open it it did but said was a pte ext no proram installed to open it in fact instead of say ummm shows.zip it ends up on the recpients e-mail as show.exe ????? now I tried to open what i sent to hubby on this copmputer which is at work, I dont have p2e here either, and it said same thing,

"Cannot find the associated program for c:\Documents and settings\ Cindy\MyDocuments\MCCTShow.pte"

now this is after I put it into a zip format (or so I thought, and when I opened it to download it came up with MCCT2005.exe when that opened the error I mentioned came up.

thats what I get on hubbys puter as well, so I have to be doing somehting wrong :-(

Cannot find the associated program for c:\Documents and settings\ Cindy\MyDocuments\MCCTShow.pte"

It looks to me as though you're zipping the wrong thing.

A PTE show in development produces a file with the suffix .pte (e.g. slideshow.pte) but this is NOT what your viewers need. They need a file with the suffix .exe (e.g. slideshow.exe). This is produced by PTE when you use "Create slideshow as", or simply press the button marked "Create".

The "slideshow.pte" will work on your machine because you have all the files and the PTE program itself. But it can't work on a different machine.

When you make an .exe file, all this is packed together into a self-contained unit that should run on any pc, whether PTE is installed or not.

Well I must be zipping the wrong thing, but I create and it says exe on bottom of page, then I save it in the program I have for it (in this case Documents) but when I zip I think I am zipping the right thing but it says pts on it so cant be have to check carefully forthe exe ext , as when I zip it even in pte it shows up as exe on the computer I send it to but that doesnt meant it is I can see that now. Have to play more with it....

Thanks for everyone tips and ideas one day I will get it ..I wish it was like Photo Impact where you can chage the formate ie from jpg to gif to bmp and in ths case from pte to exe etc whatever will work as long as it isnt pte.

Maybe that wuld be a good idea for future programs :-)

There is no real need to zip the file. Many e-mail programs and exchange servers will block exe files but they are not smart enough to know what the file type actually is.

In other words, you could simply rename your presentation with a .zip or even a .txt extention and it will go through just fine. Then the recipient will rename the extention back to .exe and it will work.

Kurt

Wouldn't it be best if you explained how to change the extension?

Ron [uK]

Well I did something here at work, I downloaded a trial version here at work as I have the original at home and I assume you can only have one version of the reg runnin. Anyway I got it downloaded and thought I'd play with it well I have a few pictures in the slide show and guess what I created it and it went to exe file of course, then I went to where I saved it, right clicked sent it to zip file and wa laaaaaaaaaa it worked :-)

Now I wonder why I am having so much trouble at home?? Does windows XP have it's own zip program buit in because here at work I dont have a zip file loaded, and I have at home, winzip, and another I forget teh name righ now, and those I am having trouble with Maybe I need to start all over witht he slide presentation???

Using Windows Explorer, locate the file and right click on the file and choose Rename. Hightlight the extention and give it a new name such as .zip, .abc, or .txt.

Then just e-mail the file and make sure to let the recipient know they need to rename it back to a .exe extention.

One last thing (I promise for now :-)................when you have an mp3 with the slide show does it take that much longer to load because I did another with this trial version and the first went thru fairly quickly but no music, the second has music and is taking forever ..

when you have an mp3 with the slide show does it take that much longer to load because I did another with this trial version and the first went thru fairly quickly but no music, the second has music and is taking forever

The music file is generally the largest part of any show. That's it basically.

Kurt

The extension does not show against the file name when you use right click>rename in Explorer (Windows XP). I was told a method some months ago but I have forgotten. Hence my interest.

Ron [uK]

File Extensions

Hi Ron,

Open any Folder-->Select 'Tools' (on the top Function Bar)-->Find and select the 'View' tab.

Now run down the List until you find...'Hide file extensions for known file types'--> Unclick the Radio Box.

That should do it.

Brian.Conflow.

Thanks Brian. I have checked that and now copied your instructions and added it to my notes.

Ron [uK]

I am having problems with the zip program on my home computer I now know how to send a slide show via e-mail but that ws from work on work computer the home computer had winzip I took it out now has only xp zip now just keeps on loading even after I compress it should I d/l win zip again.

I am close but no cigar :(

Mysty

Lumenlux wrote this as the first reply to your initial posting:

"Mysty, if you are using Windows XP, the easiest way to make a zip file is:

"Find your PTE show such as MyShow.exe.

"Right click on the .exe file, choose "Send to", Compressed (Zipped) file.

"When you or a recipient "unzips" the .zip file, you will find the exe file of your show. Double click on the .exe file and your show will run. You will be elated! "

Now when you find your PTE show such as MyShow.exe that is the folder to which Brian refers. Right click on that and follow Brian's instructions.

Ron [uK]

Mysty,

I have read many of your 'Postings' and please forgive me for saying the following:-You are giving yourself 'major headaches' about PTE and 'Windows XP' in general because you are not familiar with the workings of the XP System in the 1st place.

We all had to start somewhere and if you follow this advice you will be 'Zipping' in the next few hours. (COPY THIS EMAIL)

1)Put aside the PTE Program for the next 24 Hours.

2)Find ANY small Photo-Image on your PC. Drag-it or Copy-it into the 'My Documents Folder' or on to the 'Desktop' thats easier.

3)Right Click on it and select as follows--->WinZip--->Add to Zip File. The WinZip Window will open, now Click--->I Agree---> New Window will open, now Click--->Add. (Thats it,dont fiddle)

4)You will find the 'Zipped Image' on the Desktop or in My Documents.

NOW

Open your EMail Program. Write in your OWN EMAIL ADDRESS in the "TO"...BOX.

Make up a Test EMail and when finished Click on the "Attach Button" (paperclip) find the Zip File and select 'Attach'.

NOW SEND THE EMAIL TO YOURSELF and when you receive it "Save the Attachment" to My Documents.

Later on double-click the 'Zip File' then---> I Agree etc; etc; and 'UnZip' it to My Documents.

All should work for you ~ repeat this a few times. Now do the same for the PTE.Exe File

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Brian,

I think I have followed this thread correctly and although I think your advice is sound I don't think that Mysty has WINZIP installed?

...............in which case Ron's advice based on Lumenlux's post would appear to be the right way to go.

I don't have Winzip installed and what I normally do is create a "New Zipped Folder" and drop any file or files into it - simple as that.

DaveG.