WnSoft Forums

Black and white masks

vbl2007

Many many thanks for this.

Although I do use PTE quite a bit for Family Memories, I must admit that I don't know enough about 'masks' and so it is something that I rarely use.

A recent posting on the Forum about 'Video Effects' in respect of a waterfall did start us thinking that I should and could be using masks.

Now with this 'black and white masks' posting, this will definitely encourage me to learn more about masks and use your excellent examples.

This is really appreciated. Thankyou

George

• 2 months later...

Great example, and the masks are very useful, thanks.

I'm trying to work out how you have acheived the transition between 2:17 - 2:22. I think it may involve nested masks but I can't get my head around it!
Any chance of you posting that as a Style so I can learn your technique.

Loving your work!

11 hours ago, MarkFull said:

I'm trying to work out how you have acheived the transition between 2:17 - 2:22.

MarkFull, At the very beginning there is a download link. The interval you wrote uses two masks with small intervals between them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 11:51 AM, vbl2007 said:

MarkFull, At the very beginning there is a download link. The interval you wrote uses two masks with small intervals between them.

Thanks. I've already downloaded the masks (the link I think you reffered to). I'll have a play round and see if I can get anything close to your effect!

On 7/11/2023 at 12:23 AM, SeismicGuy said:

The link provided above downloads the mp4 clips but I didn't see any actual styles to download

Doug, These are not styles. Each MP4 file is a video mask. You can use these masks and insert your own photos and pictures. The masks have already been downloaded 200 times and people are using them.

2 hours ago, SeismicGuy said:

Obviously I need to learn about masks.  

Of course you need to read about masks. The main thing about masks: if the mask is black, then it does not let through anything that is under it. If the mask is white, then everything passes.

With Doug's posting, I notice that way back in April, I also commented that whilst I used PTE quite a bit for family memories, Masks was something that I also needed to know a lot more about.

No doubt there are other Tutorial Videos around but two I have on my list to keep viewing are from Barry Beckham's 5 Minute Tutorials. 093 - More Masking Fun, and 094 - Making Masks. Think these may help.

George

I have Photoshop and On1.  It was clear that wanting to do anything past the very basic photo mods required dealing with layers and masks.  I went through various video tutorials for both programs but getting a comfortable feel, particularly with masks, never quite seems to totally sink in.  Main problem is that it is not apparent to me when a mask would be desired or needed.  It is second nature and obvious to those very experienced uses of those programs and people who use them on a regular basis. The only thing that has sunk in with me is black mast blocks and white mask is clear.